Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Keep my 2014 , Or buy new 2021 Ridgeline

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Advice...
I have a 2014 Ridgeline with 101k miles. Ive never had problems and just did routine scheduled maintenance .
Got 4 new tires a year ago. Its carmax value about 19,500 $.

I made a deal for a 2021 Honda Ridgeline at 48,000$
Now i am having second thoughts. I know a brand new truck is nice . But I am happy with my 2014 and would really miss the 2014 design compared to 2021.
From reading reviews and talking with other ridgeline owners, they keep their trucks, 200k or more.I think 2014 would last another 100k miles.
I would be happy to here pros and cons . keep 2014 or buy new 2021 ?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Sounds like you already have your answer. Is your 2014 paid off? If it is why would you want to get into another vehicle payment? My 06 is running strong and all I've done is the regular/required maintenance.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
277 Posts
I'm sort of in the same spot as you. My recent thoughts are, why do I want a shiny perfect expensive new truck? Yesterday I parked under a tree for shade, I wouldn't do that in a brand new vehicle. Go to the store and park way out and someone still parks next to me. I have more respect for trucks that are being worked. Empty bed, shiny delicate new vehicles, nah! And yet everyday, I look at new ones.

Reactions: VA Ribs

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'd consider waiting until the current "bubble' in new and used car valuations ebbs. Especially if you like where you're at. Also consider, although the statistics are almost certainly not representative (I would hope anyway), that another poll elsewhere on this forum suggests there is about a one in four chance your shiny new truck will have issues with water intrusion into the cabin. I bought a new 2021 RTL-E back in March and every time it rains hard I pop the rear door sills off and check for moisture. Still dry to date, but what a ridiculous situation to be in with a new truck.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Do what makes you happy. Some things have improved significantly over 7 years.

I am thinking these days, how many more driving years do I have? Yep my dad still drives regularly and on long trips at age 83, but I may not be so lucky.

If I could only drive 5 more years, would I want it to be an older truck or a brand-spanking new one?

If being frugal is important, keep the old one. Otherwise...there are many people who could use that old truck and don’t have $48K. Give them a chance, and it’s a win-win.

·
Registered
2011 Honda Ridgeline RTL w/Nav + DVD
36 Posts
Maybe we can help make a pro/con list for the upgrade. Others, feel free to jump in.

Pros I see of Upgrading:
Newer technology package (Stereo/interior)
Better gas mileage
Better transmission technology

Cons I see of Upgrading:
Styling isn't quite as nice as G1
Newer technology is harder to work on yourself (I often wonder how much longer I'll be able to repair our cars)
Cost
Loss of nostalgia
Diving into a new vehicle with potentially new problems (Build quality?)

·
Registered
'21 RTL-E
12 Posts
Had a 2014 RTL with 36K.Covid/cabin fever struck and I bought a '21 RTL-E in February.Huge mistake!Sure it rides a little better and slightly better performance, but what else? Cheap Firestone tires,nanny systems,all potatoes with no meat.Like other mfg. they are selling their vehicles based on electronic gadgetry which is cheap to produce.

·
Registered
232 Posts
....Now i am having second thoughts....keep 2014 or buy new 2021 ?
What can you tell us about your experience and impressions about the '21 when you took it for a test drive?
2d1c
: ^ )

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
The 2021 ridgeline rode nice. Nice back up camera. But I do not feel it's a 48000 dollar truck.
Plus my 2014 has CD player. I use.
My leather seat is very worn. Any tips on what to use to rejuvenate it ?

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
The 2021 ridgeline rode nice. Nice back up camera. But I do not feel it's a 48000 dollar truck.
You might be able to get the leather replaced at a good upholstery shop. I had a fairly luxurious Jeep Grand Cherokee with a seat panel that ripped, and an old school-ish shop near me replaced it with a virtually perfect match. Don't remember the specific cost (3 years ago), but it was something very reasonable.

·
Registered
293 Posts
You should be able to replace the leather with OEM or aftermarket. If it’s just the drivers seat then maybe go OEM to reset the clock and match the rest. Make sure you buy a new OEM seat cushion and then you’re golden for the next 100K miles. So definitely keep the 2014.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts