Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, folks! My 2008 Ridgeline has 140,000 miles on it, most of it trouble free. Other than replacing the power steering pump and hose and a catalytic converter, all I've really done is basic maintenance and wear (i.e., brakes and tires). The truck's in very good shape overall--needs the driver's seat cushion replaced, the upholstery is from that year that stained if you look at it wrong, and has a little rust on the bottom of the two rear doors. I'm really considering fixing the cushion, recovering the seats or getting good covers, having it repainted (and take care of the rust), and trying to get another 60,000 to 100,000 miles out of it. Any thoughts on what might fail on me in that time period, or what issues might come up? Thanks!

·
Registered
2018 RTL-E
62 Posts
While I am not an expert on 1st gen Ridgeline, expected automotive troubles would include Timing chain/belt (do this asap!), alternator, starter, and radiator. Plugs and wires wouldn’t hurt either.
All said, less than $2500 total, which is still WAY less than a new truck. If you like what you got, why upgrade? Not having a truck payment is a pretty good situation.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
My 08 RTL is free from rust and drives as well as it did the day I drove it off the showroom floor in 2008. It's recently been in the body shop for a 3rd time in the last year ( it's spent over 6 weeks in a body shop) for "injuries" suffered by at fault drivers. So it only has 314,000 miles. If I can keep it out of the body shop, it will easily go another 100,000 miles as everything works as it did when new. The mpg even raised a tenth in the last year. Until a year ago it averaged 16.9 and now it's 17. This thing is just getting broken in.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
While I am not an expert on 1st gen Ridgeline, expected automotive troubles would include Timing chain/belt (do this asap!), alternator, starter, and radiator. Plugs and wires wouldn’t hurt either.
All said, less than $2500 total, which is still WAY less than a new truck. If you like what you got, why upgrade? Not having a truck payment is a pretty good situation.
All done, except alternator, starter, and radiator! Yes, no payment is a huge incentive!

My 08 RTL is free from rust and drives as well as it did the day I drove it off the showroom floor in 2008. It's recently been in the body shop for a 3rd time in the last year ( it's spent over 6 weeks in a body shop) for "injuries" suffered by at fault drivers. So it only has 314,000 miles. If I can keep it out of the body shop, it will easily go another 100,000 miles as everything works as it did when new. The mpg even raised a tenth in the last year. Until a year ago it averaged 16.9 and now it's 17. This thing is just getting broken in.
That’s great to hear!

·
Administrator
15,673 Posts
Like most vehicles made in the last ~15 years, the Ridgeline doesn't have "wires" - it uses coil-on-plug ignition. :)

It does have a timing belt that needs to be changed. Timing chains generally don't have a replacement interval.

The fittings for the transmission fluid heat exchanger in the radiator are subject to hidden internal corrosion in the first generation Ridgeline. It's a good idea to proactively replace the radiator. Failure typically results in mixing of the coolant and transmission fluid followed by a failed transmission. You can read more about that on here by searching "smod" or "strawberry milkshake of death".

Otherwise, follow the Maintenance Minder and you should be good for another 140K.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I'd say keep. My 08 has 197k miles and everything still works. This spring I'll change out the timing belt, tensioner, etc as well as the power steering pump and another set of struts. The thing just won't die and I plan on keeping it another 5 years at least. Just regular maintenance all these years.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Like most vehicles made in the last ~15 years, the Ridgeline doesn't have "wires" - it uses coil-on-plug ignition. :)

It does have a timing belt that needs to be changed. Timing chains generally don't have a replacement interval.

The fittings for the transmission fluid heat exchanger in the radiator are subject to hidden internal corrosion in the first generation Ridgeline. It's a good idea to proactively replace the radiator. Failure typically results in mixing of the coolant and transmission fluid followed by a failed transmission. You can read more about that on here by searching "smod" or "strawberry milkshake of death".

Otherwise, follow the Maintenance Minder and you should be good for another 140K.
Thanks--somehow missed that about the radiator...I'll have that checked the next time I have it in.

·
Administrator
15,673 Posts
Thanks--somehow missed that about the radiator...I'll have that checked the next time I have it in.
Note that this fitting corrodes from the inside out, so it can still look fine on the outside and be ready to let loose on the inside.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Most definitely change out the radiator and get ahead of SMOD. Even if it looks fine. Ditto zroger73.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just wanted to update this....while I had intended to have the radiator checked six months ago, between Covid and a host of things at work, it didn't happen. Fast forward to a week ago, driving home from the lake...engine revs up suddenly and loses power. After getting out, I find transmission fluid leading out of one side of the engine bay, radiator fluid out the other...luckily they didn't mix, and no strawberry milkshake effect! Had it towed in...connector on the transmission cooler had rusted out, and the radiator had several leaks. Transmission seems fine (so far), so I hopefully dodged a bullet!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Just wanted to update this....while I had intended to have the radiator checked six months ago, between Covid and a host of things at work, it didn't happen. Fast forward to a week ago, driving home from the lake...engine revs up suddenly and loses power. After getting out, I find transmission fluid leading out of one side of the engine bay, radiator fluid out the other...luckily they didn't mix, and no strawberry milkshake effect! Had it towed in...connector on the transmission cooler had rusted out, and the radiator had several leaks. Transmission seems fine (so far), so I hopefully dodged a bullet!!
Yes very lucky in deed, looks like its time to get an upgraded transmission cooler and radiator and take that truck for another 100k miles. Also add an inline magnefine transmission filter 3/8" size. I changed my radiator and put a filter right away when I got mine a year ago. Currently have 230k on mine, everything changed and I also installed new AC system(new condensor, compressor, expansion valve and all the orings) . Changed a couple of door lock actuators, and had to redo my headliner. Transmission still shifts like butter and no engine oil burning. I will be keeping this truck for a long long time.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,584 Posts
Make sure you get a radiator with the upgraded design. AFAIK, the OEM radiator still uses the original design which I personally think is unsat.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts