Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a kenwood kac-8105d amp hooked to the factory radio/nav pushing a 10" pioneer shallow mount sub. It only works if I unplug and replug the high level input connector. I'm using the high level inputs to turn the amp on (I'm using the sub wire and just split the positive and negative to have four speaker inputs) but I've also ran a remote wire to it and that doesn't help either. I'm not new to installing aftermarket stuff but I've never seen this before. Everything is hooked up correctly. Adjusting the sub gain on the factory radio/nav has never helped it to work. I took the amp off and hooked the factory sub back up to test the head unit and it works fine The funny thing is it works about every 20th time I start the ridge and also I've noticed that every now and then when I unlock my doors or open the moonroof it comes on. Another thing to note is once it's on it stays on until I kill the truck. Any info would be appreciated I'm taking the back seat out tomorrow and Moving my sub from under it to behind it and sound deadening the rear floor and wall. I'd rather not have to put a switch on the speaker level inputs or buy another amp. If this is a common problem I apologize I havent been able to find it anywhere.

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Sounds like something not hooked up right somewhere, could be ground issue, Sounds like hooked up to something live when vehicle on..Sounds also bad amp

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,262 Posts
Agreed, sounds like Power, Ground and remote wire connections should all be checked. What is your power source, how is the amp grounded & what is the remote wire connected to?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Power is 8awg wire straight to battery (in line fuse). This amp has the automatic turn on when your using high level inputs (no remote wire needed) but I've ran a remote wire to a fuse tap to the window fuse and I've ran it straight to the battery just to see if that would help but no luck. It's grounded behind the seat to the floor (no paint between the floor and ground wire). Believe me it's hooked up correctly and the connections have been double checked. Also if it was a loose ground or something hooked up incorrectly it would probably work sometimes then quit. The times it does work it never shut off until I turn the truck off. I've heard of a power delay module but not sure if that would help.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
+/- DC supply 'problems' wouldn't cause the symptoms described.

Speaker level input "on" functions by detecting the presence of signal . That signal could be voltage containing any form of noise above a minimum threshold - including "idle" noise common in many audio amps (like low level "hiss" generated when an amp is simply turned on with its input volume fully attenuated) - OEM heads are known to exhibit this behavior. However, even if thats true in this case, it doesn't explain all your symptoms.

Sounds like you are clear on how things should be (and are) configured in the system - BUT - recommend removing the remote 12V turn on connection as a step to isolate/eliminate the symptom "stays on until I kill the truck". If it continues that behavior, it likely means something is wonky with your high level circuit.

Assuming you've confirmed front/rear, left/right balance functions normally, fully fading to the correct location(s)? <- usually an easy way to confirm outputs from the head are correctly associated - BUT - to be absolutely positive the problem is internal to the Alpine vs. the way its connected, double/triple/quad check inputs paying special attention to R/L +/- relationships from head to amp.

Other than those things, the Kenwood may have a "defective" input circuit. One way around that *might be* to insert a "line out" converter - which basically replicates what the high-level input in the Kenwood is supposed to do. This might be a ~$20 way around replacing the amp.

BTW: a "turn on delay" is intended to delay amp power on for the general purpose of removing annoying and sometimes dangerous "pops" when the amp is on and the unit feeding its inputs drops a ton of voltage to the amp input. Won't help the symptoms described.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm gonna pick up an loc within the hour. I'll post my findings once it's installed. I figured it has something to do with the high level input since it works everytime if I unplug and replug it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Kenwood is one of the biggest names in car audio industry and all of their products are quality ones.I am using KENWOOD XR900-5 AMPLIFIER. It is no surprise that XR900-5 is highly rated among the fans and it is a compact and affordable option.
The output is 600W mono + 75W 4 channel amplifier and it has built-in low and hi pass and even a bass boost. It comes with full 24-month manufacturer’s warranty and it is easy to install by yourself. It is a highly recommended product for its price and there are no reported problems by users and sound quality is very good. If you need compact and cheap car amp this can be a perfect solution for you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
kenwood subs are not know as pioneer or rockford but its growing its name in the market in a short amount of time. these subs are really awesome. but the fact is to get the best performance from a kenwood subwoofer you need a apropriate amplifier connected with it. so this is the fact. otherwise you will get these subs in a negotiable budget. i am using a kenwood subwoofer in my car for more than 6 years.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Kenwood is one of the biggest names in car audio industry and all of their products are quality ones.I am using KENWOOD XR900-5 AMPLIFIER. It is no surprise that XR900-5 is highly rated among the fans and it is a compact and affordable option.
The output is 600W mono + 75W 4 channel amplifier and it has built-in low and hi pass and even a bass boost. It comes with full 24-month manufacturer’s warranty and it is easy to install by yourself. It is a highly recommended product for its price and there are no reported problems by users and sound quality is very good. If you need compact and cheap car amp this can be a perfect solution for you.
I have seen a similar review at Speakers Hunter and I am using Kenwood KAC-M3004 Compact 4 Channel Digital Amplifier. It offers 50 watts RMS per channel which is enough to power up the music in your vehicle. It is mainly designed to boost the output and clarity of your car stereo.

Do you installing a pair of subs? You can bridge this amp to 2-channel mode and send 150 watts to each subwoofer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts