Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 07 RTL please consider this.i am stuck in park,the truck will start but I am unable to engage reverse neutral or drive. On top of this I am unable to remove the key.This is where it gets crazy, if I leave the truck for 30 mins or so
its back to normal but if I switch it off I'm back to square1.If I disconnect the battery I can remove the key no problem why is this? I continually have to release the selector lever from the steering column but this is cannot continue.
Being in Jamaica I don't have the luxury of dealership to deal with this issue.
HELP!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
It sounds like the steering wheel is cocked one way or the other and putting pressure on the lever. It won't be easy but try moving the steering wheel.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,409 Posts
Do you have the FSM or Shop Manual. I hate to say it, but being the weekend (A Holiday Weekend in the US) not all members are reading or online. I know there are some threads on the ignition key causing issues and I'll try to add some of those threads. Also if you have a spare key, does the column lock on top of the steering column work?

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
I had similar problems with my car. When I released the selector lever from the top of the steering coloumn, I could move the shifter to any gear and it would work as normal but no light indicator for the chosen position.
When parked, the shifter would lock in P and the key could not be removed. I had to restart and sometimes wiggle the lever and/ or the wheels. When I heard a certain clicking sound (one single click) in the drivers door, everything would work ok. Also had issues with cruise control and rear reversing lights.

Until the problem is solved, you may try to remove the key when in N and afterwards move the lever to P.

I changed my position switch on the tranny, and my problems are gone. Here is my thread with a how-to:
http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118858&page=2

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
Use your search option here and on Google. Several ways shown to release the lever. You are applying the brake when attempting to shift I hope.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Use your search option here and on Google. Several ways shown to release the lever. You are applying the brake when attempting to shift I hope.
Good point, but for myself I didn't find much around the issues causing the ignition switch and shift lever to get stucked.

I am pretty sure this is caused by an electrical issue like the switch assembly starting to fail or it might be low voltage on the battery which is also known to cause all kinds of weird issues with the RL.

In the tread I am referring to, zroger73 has written a great explanation on how the switch on the tranny works, and carsmack provided a parts chart.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts