Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure what section to post this in (mods- move it if you think it should go elsewhere).

I've searched and haven't come across anything that specifically addresses my question (wrong search terms?) plus I bought truck used so owner's manual is missing.

Anyways, I think the battery on my fob is on its way out. Sometimes it takes a few presses of the button to lock/unlock the truck and it seems the range is getting shorter and shorter. Simple, replace the battery CR1616 , careful - don't strip the screw to relive the cover, etc..... , but Im not clear if I need to reprogram anything to get it to work. Assuming that since I haven't come across any info on this particular question, that it is just a plain
and simple battery replacement? I just want to make sure so, somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm probably overthinking this but I just want to avoid the hassles of putzing around in below freezing temps programming anything.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I'm not sure what section to post this in (mods- move it if you think it should go elsewhere).

I've searched and haven't come across anything that specifically addresses my question (wrong search terms?) plus I bought truck used so owner's manual is missing.

Anyways, I think the battery on my fob is on its way out. Sometimes it takes a few presses of the button to lock/unlock the truck and it seems the range is getting shorter and shorter. Simple, replace the battery CR1616 , careful - don't strip the screw to relive the cover, etc..... , but Im not clear if I need to reprogram anything to get it to work. Assuming that since I haven't come across any info on this particular question, that it is just a plain
and simple battery replacement? I just want to make sure so, somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm probably overthinking this but I just want to avoid the hassles of putzing around in below freezing temps programming anything.
Just change the battery out and that's all you have to do. It should work fine as I have changed both batteries in my two keys.

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,071 Posts
As a tip - the tiny little screws have a blue liquid locking material on the threads. They are very difficult to remove and very easy to strip. Take the key and lay it on a bench, dab a very small amount of WD-40 or any other liquid penetrant on each of the screw heads. Let it sit for an hour or so. Ensure you have the proper sized screwdriver and then very carefully remove the screws. It's a simple battery replacement with no reprogramming necessary.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
I found putting the key on a bath towel folded over a couple of times kept it from rocking, so you can get a better angle on the screw.

Chip H.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I wanted to get some replies on what might be wrong with my key fob. I replaced battery and now nothing happens. Do I need to have it reprogrammed? I did have about a week go by with not having changed the battery. I have a 2008 ridgeline.

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,071 Posts
Is it possible you installed the battery upside down?
Exactly what I was thinking. If the little red light doesn't blink when you press and hold the lock button, the battery is either backwards or isn't touching the contacts properly. Pull the key apart again and check it. If the little red light does blink and it's not unlocking the truck, there is a procedure somewhere on this forum you can use to reprogram the key to the truck. A search should pull it up.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,376 Posts

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,809 Posts
If not the battery you may need to re-program your key. Be sure all doors are unlocked before you start the process.
Follow this link...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts