Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at 2006 Ridgeline...everything seems great but noted the single key that comes with the truck blinks when you hit the buttons but doesn't lock or unlock the doors...didn't try the panic button.

Can a low battery product an LED but not trigger the tranmission?
Are they prone to fail so I should plan on having another head coded?

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Looking at 2006 Ridgeline...everything seems great but noted the single key that comes with the truck blinks when you hit the buttons but doesn't lock or unlock the doors...didn't try the panic button.

Can a low battery product an LED but not trigger the tranmission?
Are they prone to fail so I should plan on having another head coded?
If it's just the key battery, you won't need a new head.... just new battery. I'd try that first in any case.... very cheap alternative. FYI, I replaced my battery just last week after almost 10 years of service.... but I never noticed the light on the fob (key) until I checked it just now..... my thumb covers it mostly, so I never noticed if it was still flashing or not when mine finally quit working. As far as "are they prone to fail"?.... not from what I've seen on this forum. As a matter of fact, there are many who have had to get a new key (physically broken), but kept the chip to move over to new key housing.
You might also consider that it's not the key at all, but the truck that's not reacting. Go ahead & try the panic button to see if it reacts. You may just have a bad door lock actuator in the driver's door. THAT is one failure that comes up from time to time here.

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,803 Posts
Did you try and re-program?

To program Honda remote transmitters:

(NOTE: a maximum of 3 remote transmitters can be programmed)

Proceed as follows:

A. Turn ignition to ON position.
within 4 seconds: press LOCK or UNLOCK button on original key
within 4 seconds: turn ignition OFF

B. Do procedure A 2 more times (total of 3 times)

C. within 4 seconds: turn ignition to ON position
within 4 seconds: press LOCK or Unlock button on original key

***System should now lock and unlock vehicle to indicate programming mode is activated***

D. Within 10 seconds: press LOCK or UNLOCK button on original key allowing doors to lock and unlock once

E. Press LOCK or UNLOCK button of each remaining key to be programmed, allowing doors to lock and unlock once as each key is programmed.

F. Turn ignition to OFF position

G. Remove key from ignition.

H. Insert key back into ignition, start the car, turn it off and remove the key from ignition.

I. Check operation of all programmed key remote transmitters. All should function now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Same thing happened to my key fob. It was the battery, and it was a cheap fix, but I cracked the key fob trying to open it...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Go to Youtube there are several videos that concern the replacement of the battery. Once the screw is removed the plastic half of the key that is now loose needs to be pulled toward the metal "key" end and then lift up the plastic piece.
It really looks simple but look up the videos before hand.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts