Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Although I’ve been a lurker for some time as I’ve had a Ridgeline on my list for a few years now, having just purchased one a few months ago, this is my first post on here! I’m a long time Honda guy by the way, having owned everything from a handful of CRX’s, lots of Wagovans, Civics and now the 06 Ridgeline and an 09 Fit Sport.

I have a few questions on some quirks with it hoping someone may know…

1) Since we’ve had the truck (2006 RTS I believe), I have to put the key into the driver’s side lock mechanism and unlock manually, then I can unlock electronically with the fob or the automatic switch. Brand new batter in the fob and it won’t unlock the doors, I hear a click, but nothing until I manually unlock the driver’s side door.
a. This just became a huge issue as yesterday the key wouldn’t go in the lock at all…I think the key is worn down and I need to get another made. So since it’s the only lock on the truck and the fob won’t work, that pretty much leaves me SOL (why did Honda design it like this??)

2) The warning beeping that sounds like a siren if you leave the back window down and turn off the car…is there a way to disable that??

3) Have any of you ordered a key fob online and had it cut? Last time I checked, the dealership wants around $100 for a key and I found blank one here for $30 http://www.ekeyfobs.com/2006-2007-2...9e3OB9L7uZ3g1-XSg9wTmY_qmPfU2HWbbpBoC6Knw_wcB just seeing if anyone’s done something like this before to save quite a bit of cash.

Thanks for your help!
Justin

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,592 Posts
Justin,

Regarding your last question, you can do that, but you also have to move over the RFID chip from the original keyfob. Else the immobilizer will not let you start the engine.

How many keys did you get with your truck? From the factory, it should have come with 2 keyfobs and a valet key... any of which should work in your door and ignition.

The keys are laser cut and you can't go to Lowe's or Home Depot and cut a duplicate. I think my local dealer will provide a new key and cut it for about $30 or so. But I believe you still have to move the RFID chip over (which is pretty simple to do). You can check Youtube for a video how to do that.

I'm not sure about your other questions. But I expect someone will come along shortly with knowledge about those issues.

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
2) The warning beeping that sounds like a siren if you leave the back window down and turn off the car…is there a way to disable that??

Justin
As for the sound mine is the same as if you left the drive lights on (for rear window open). I wonder if your drivers door actuator is going out or is out, easy cheap fix. Mine did but in a different way. Just a thought.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,265 Posts
Speaking of keys, is there a number (3, 4 or more) which can be programmed for the RL. I Lost my Valet key, and a few other keys, but certain it's in this GD, house somewhere, but considering getting a new key, wonder if I find the Valet will it still work later? Don't fully understand the immobilizer circuit part.

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,804 Posts
Justin asked....
I have a few questions on some quirks with it hoping someone may know…
2)The warning beeping that sounds like a siren if you leave the back window down and turn off the car…is there a way to disable that??

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

To disable the rear sliding window chime unplug the back window position switch harness connector. Do not attempt to disable the chime speaker in the dash as you may end up having to order a new gauge cluster.
You will have to remove the rear seat back (top section), and the back wall trim. While the chime is kind of loud, I'm glad for it., especially in rainy season.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,592 Posts
Speaking of keys, is there a number (3, 4 or more) which can be programmed for the RL. I Lost my Valet key, and a few other keys, but certain it's in this GD, house somewhere, but considering getting a new key, wonder if I find the Valet will it still work later? Don't fully understand the immobilizer circuit part.
I'm not aware of a limit on the number of keys which can be programmed for the vehicle.

This may be of help:
http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1543641&postcount=7

A new key should not affect your valet key unless you rekey the ignition/door locks.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
For clarification for the benefit of the OP, the immobilzer is a small chip that allows the car to start.
In the valet key it is molded into the plastic key handle. For the standard key it is in the key fob and can be moved, etc.

Also in the fob is a 'module' for remote locking and unlocking. It is also removable. This is good news, because the key breaking away from the fob is not that rare. So you can remove both the im. and the module and place them in a blank key/fob made for a Honda.

One further distinction is the key 'cut'. The cut in the valet key is different and it can not open or lock the glove box or the trunk, as can the standard key. Only start the car and lock and unlock doors manually.

From personal experience I can tell you that many dealers and locksmiths will not 'cut' aftermarket (3rd party) blank keys. The reason being that many in the past were made of a metal that is more difficult to cut and actually tore up some cutting bits on their machines. But many new keys are cut on laser machines.

But that depends largely on your dealer. Some will go with it if they never had an issue in the past. Locksmiths also rather have a Honda branded key.
If you have related problems order online from one of the discounted Honda parts houses. They key blank will come in a sealed plastic with the red and white Honda markings. That blank will run you 2 or 3X what it would cost to get a cheapie on Amazon. So just be aware of the situation. Something that should be simple can be a frustrating experience.

By the way, the actual key 'blank' is always located on the top shell that has the holes for the remote buttons. It can actually be ordered as a separate part which will save you some 2 bucks over ordering both halves.

Also, keep in mind that the fob comes in 2 halves that are held together with the tiniest little screw. Most of us have small enough drivers to use with it, but do not lose the screw. It is very hard to find a replacement unless it comes from, you guessed it!! , ...Honda.

·
Registered
558 Posts
2) The warning beeping that sounds like a siren if you leave the back window down and turn off the car…is there a way to disable that?
I always found it strange that there is a warning for the rear window, but no warning if you leave the Moonroof open!
To me the Moonroof has much more potential for problems someone getting in or rain/snow...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts