Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Key fob programming

9K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  Saltyal 
#1 ·
I have a new-to-me 2009 RTL with 310,000 km's on it. It came with just one key with integrated fob and a grey "valet" key. A few days ago the fob quit working, and I thought it might be the battery in it, so I put in a new CR 1616, which made no difference (yes, the red led glows brightly). Then I read on here it could be the truck battery, which was getting dodgy, so I put in a new 27F but that didn't help with the fob issue either.

So I figured maybe I need to re-program the fob... I found the instructions for that, printed them off, and worked through them about 6 times, being very particular about the switching of the key on-off timing etc. But no joy; after working through the sequence I still couldn't get the fob to accept programming. Then I realized maybe it wouldn't program the fob if I was using the valet key in the ignition for the switching on-off part of the process.

So to work around the (possible) valet key issue, I ordered online a couple of new spare (uncut yet) keys with new batteries installed. They arrived yesterday, so now I'm able to use the original key in the ignition to attempt programming the new ones, but still no joy!

I've tried over and over again with the instructions, all doors, trunk lid, and tailgate are properly closed, they all work just fine by using the key in the door, or by using the individual door buttons, just no response from the fob! I've even tried the panic button on the original fob, still nothing.

I've checked in the fuse boxes under the hood and in the cab by the drivers' left foot, but I found no obvious problems there., so now I'm stumped! BTW, the fuse boxes, connectors etc all look pristine, as if the truck has had an easy life and garage-kept...

Could I have screwed up the remote control receiver (wherever that is!) by initially trying to use the valet key in the ignition for my first attempts at re-programming the original key? ... If so, is there a workaround?

TIA!

See less See more
#2 ·
I've used Search quite a bit on this, and I see some members have found problems with the window master switch unit causing various lock problems.... About 3 weeks ago (long before the fob issue) I changed the window/door lock master switch along with the window motor/regulator so that stuff definitely works like it's supposed to.

Today, I pulled off the drivers door panel again so I could rule out a bad plug connection to the master switch, everything looks and acts normal to me.

So the bottom line is everything works as advertised except for the key fob issue!

#3 ·
When you changed the fob battery you didn’t lose the small chip, in the fob key?

The vehicle starts with both original keys? Just lock or unlock related issues, assume that you had vehicle battery disconnected during master switch replacement?

#4 ·
I was pretty careful when changing the fob battery, and I didn't notice anything fall out.. is the chip kind of loose in there? Keep in mind I had the fob issue Before I took it apart to put in the new CR1616.

Both keys (black original w/buttons and grey valet key) will start and run the truck just fine.

I didn't disconnect the truck battery when I changed the master switch 3 weeks ago, but the key was out of the ignition until I tested the new switch before I replaced the door panel... could that cause the problem?

#5 ·
Well starts with both keys and that’s not the issue, chip is lose, has fallen out for some people, but it won’t start without it

I wouldn’t do electrical work w/o the battery disconnected, can you roll down the windows with the key in the door with a double turn to unlock (to the right) or a double turn to lock (to the left), on the 2nd hold the key in that direction

#7 ·
#9 · (Edited)
There's an RF chip inside the OEM key you need to move over to the new key fob. One of my Pilot key fobs quit working and a new 1616 battery made no difference. I ordered a blank and had to butcher the OEM fob and move the RF chip over to the new fob. Search youtube for videos how to move the RF chip. It's pretty easy.

Edit: they may refer to the RF chip as a transponder too.

#10 ·
There's an RF chip inside the OEM key you need to move over to the new key fob. One of my Pilot key fobs quit working and a new 1616 battery made no difference. I ordered a blank and had to butcher the OEM fob and move the RF chip over to the new fob. Search youtube for videos how to move the RF chip. It's pretty easy.
Thanks for the tip! I'll check out the procedure for transferring the chip and go ahead on that after I get my new keys cut by a locksmith; at this time they're still just blanks.
Or maybe when I get the keys cut I can have the smith do his magic to program them, I'm not familiar with the full process of getting new smart keys.
I'm still mystified by why even the panic button doesn't work though.

#12 ·
Well today I took the ferry off-island and drove to the locksmiths in Victoria; he cut me two new keys, programmed their transponders and re-programmed the old one... So now I have 3 keys w/working fobs!

Due to the Covid protocols I didn't get to see the programming, so I don't know what he did... I asked him what he did differently from what I was trying, but he just grinned and said he could show me, but then he'd have to kill me ;) ...

So unfortunately my part of this discussion won't be much help to other members with a similar problem. But if it's any help, I can assure people that taking off the door panel and changing switches, window regulator etc is easy!

Many thanks for everyone's feedback on this!

#13 ·
Well today I took the ferry off-island and drove to the locksmiths in Victoria; he cut me two new keys, programmed their transponders and re-programmed the old one... So now I have 3 keys w/working fobs!

Due to the Covid protocols I didn't get to see the programming, so I don't know what he did... I asked him what he did differently from what I was trying, but he just grinned and said he could show me, but then he'd have to kill me ;) ...

So unfortunately my part of this discussion won't be much help to other members with a similar problem. But if it's any help, I can assure people that taking off the door panel and changing switches, window regulator etc is easy!

Many thanks for everyone's feedback on this!
If you don’t mind, where did you order your keyfob blanks from?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.