Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It is my first time of having the smart key since I got my G2, I started to do some research on how secure key fob is. It is not too difficult to find articles talk about this on Internet and this is quite alarming. Basically if you are at home you have your key fob on 2nd floor, the hackers/high tech car theft can come near your house using a $20 repeater from eBay to amplify the signal of your key fob. It tricks your car's computer thinks that you are physically around the vehicle. They can then open the door as well as start the engine, once the engine starts it no longer needs the key fob around.

If I got the information correctly, this is how I understand key fob works - basically it keeps sending a pulse at around 315 MHz in a certain interval 24/7. Unlike the old style remote control, the signal is transmitted only if you press the button. This is the problem. See this article.

https://www.wired.com/2016/03/study-finds-24-car-models-open-unlocking-ignition-hack/

There are couple of ways I found on Internet to protect this, I tried both of them and they BOTH worked - putting the key fob in a metal box as well as wrapping with aluminum foil. If you don't want your G2 stolen from your driveway, I recommend these. I am not sure if Honda Ridgeline/Pliot has the special immunity to these relay/repeater hack, but I would wrap my key fob at home as precaution. This is not new, I just want to share with G2 community who are new to smart key like me. Hope this helps and raise the awareness on these high tech gadgets.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
If I got the information correctly, this is how I understand key fob works - basically it keeps sending a pulse at around 315 MHz at a certain interval 24/7. Unlike the old style remote control, the signal is transmitted only if you press the button. This is the problem. See this article.

There are couple of ways I found on Internet to defeat this, I tried both of them and they BOTH worked - putting the key fob in a metal box as well as wrapped with aluminum foil. If you don't want your G2 stolen from your driveway, I recommend these.
good info! I had not thought about this at all.
AND, a side benefit, It just became harder to make fun of me for wearing my tin foil hat! who's laughing now!

edit. they still make sucrets?

·
Registered
39 Posts
For clarification...

It's your car that is sending out a pulse from time to time, not the fob. The fob is coin-cell powered, so energy is limited. Once the fob recognizes the "are you there?" pulse from the car, it responds with a handshake signal.

As such, this repeater method does work, but with some minor caveats... it needs to be close enough to the fob to hear its handshake response. The fob has a significantly weaker signal compared to the car, but it's feasible if someone tosses their keys next to the door to their apartment. The thief must know which apartment so they can get reasonably close (say, within 50'). This would generally make it a two-person job, with one person near the car and another near the apartment door.

·
Registered
471 Posts
For clarification

As such, this repeater method does work, but with some minor caveats... it needs to be close enough to the fob to hear its handshake response. The fob has a significantly weaker signal compared to the car, but it's feasible if someone tosses their keys next to the door to their apartment........
Wouldn't the repeater only have to be as close to the key fob as the longest range the key fob has to open doors/start engine?

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts
I'm not worried, no radio signal is getting in or out of my house.

Turns out the builder who built it used standard fiberglass insulation plus 1" foil backed rigid foam over the framework and under the cement board and brick work. Great insulating properties, our electric and gas bills are super low, but our entire house is like a faraday cage. Cellular reception indoors is poor as is FM radio reception. Also my WiFi signal outside the house is non existent, standing next to my house there is very poor WiFi signal, whereas I get a strong WiFi signal from my neighbors home over 400ft away.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I'm not worried..... at.......my house.
Live in the middle of heavily forested 20 acres with big dogs who sound very threatening; therefore, I share your sentiment. In 1986, however, I purchased a very nice Toyota 4 Runner, which was the equal in its day to the desirability and scarcity of the RTL-E. Three months after buying the Toyota I went to a movie. When I emerged from the theater there was only a small pile of glass where I had parked the 4Runner. Took a cab home-lasting impression that I don't want reinforced. My fear is stopping at Panera's for a delightful lunch and having to hail another cab because my RTL-E is gone. I guess I could vary the experience by texting Uber.
Because of my prior experience I will have the window glass of the RTL-E etched with my driver's license number. Inconspicuous, and apparently deters the discerning thief.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Wouldn't the repeater only have to be as close to the key fob as the longest range the key fob has to open doors/start engine?
It could be farther away, actually, if the repeater has a higher sensitivity than the unit in the car (which is likely, actually). But practicality has to come in at some point.

·
Registered
471 Posts
It could be farther away, actually, if the repeater has a higher sensitivity than the unit in the car (which is likely, actually). But practicality has to come in at some point.
I think, but am not sure, I read the key fob will work up to 180 feet away from the vehicle.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I think, but am not sure, I read the key fob will work up to 180 feet away from the vehicle.
That assumes perfect conditions... line of site, no nearby structures to throw off the field, perfectly-tuned fob antenna, etc. You'd be amazed at how much signal is lost going through a typical wall (or even worse, a metal door). Reference one of my earlier responses in another thread about how the hand detunes the fob antenna... sometimes for better, sometimes for worse.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It is my first time of having the smart key since I got my G2, I started to do some research on how secure key fob is. It is not too difficult to find articles talk about this on Internet and this is quite alarming. Basically if you are at home you have your key fob on 2nd floor, the hackers/high tech car theft can come near your house using a $20 repeater from eBay to amplify the signal of your key fob. It tricks your car's computer thinks that you are physically around the vehicle. They can then open the door as well as start the engine, once the engine starts it no longer needs the key fob around.

If I got the information correctly, this is how I understand key fob works - basically it keeps sending a pulse at around 315 MHz in a certain interval 24/7. Unlike the old style remote control, the signal is transmitted only if you press the button. This is the problem. See this article.

https://www.wired.com/2016/03/study-finds-24-car-models-open-unlocking-ignition-hack/

There are couple of ways I found on Internet to protect this, I tried both of them and they BOTH worked - putting the key fob in a metal box as well as wrapping with aluminum foil. If you don't want your G2 stolen from your driveway, I recommend these. I am not sure if Honda Ridgeline/Pliot has the special immunity to these relay/repeater hack, but I would wrap my key fob at home as precaution. This is not new, I just want to share with G2 community who are new to smart key like me. Hope this helps and raise the awareness on these high tech gadgets.
2017 Honda Ridgeline Black Edition... walked up the driveway and pushed a relay amplifier I suppose, cleaned out the cab, never even set off an alarm. Had to install steel safe in house and carry a faraday pouch for the fob all the time now. Pah... new tech! I'd rather it wasn't keyless, or had much better security.

·
Super Moderator
5,339 Posts
I just keep the key fob in the same pocket as my cellphone! No way to open the Ridgeline. :grin:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Maybe this read will keep my wife from locking her purse in the RL and thinking it's safe there. I guess i'll have to come up with a booby trap system for my RL..

·
Registered
433 Posts
My insurance agent just today sent an email containing an article listing the Most Stolen Vehicles in 2016. Nobody wanted G1 Ridgelines it seems. :grin:

1. Honda Accord (50427)
2. Honda Civic
3. Ford Pick-Up (Full Size) (32721)
4. Chevrolet Pick-Up (Full Size) (31238)
5. Toyota Camry
6. Nissan Altima
7. Dodge Pick-Up (Full Size) (12128)
8. Toyota Corolla
9. Chevrolet Impala
10. Jeep Cherokee/Grand Cherokee (9245)

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have a box that looks like an Altoids tin with a little foam pad in it to keep it from rattling around. Works like a charm. I can hold the fob 2" from the truck inside this box and it won't be detected.

The box was a promotional thing from Misumi. Originally held a USB stick.

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
For clarification...

It's your car that is sending out a pulse from time to time, not the fob. The fob is coin-cell powered, so energy is limited. Once the fob recognizes the "are you there?" pulse from the car, it responds with a handshake signal.

As such, this repeater method does work, but with some minor caveats... it needs to be close enough to the fob to hear its handshake response. The fob has a significantly weaker signal compared to the car, but it's feasible if someone tosses their keys next to the door to their apartment. The thief must know which apartment so they can get reasonably close (say, within 50'). This would generally make it a two-person job, with one person near the car and another near the apartment door.
So this would explain why my key fob battery dies so fast? I leave my key in the car all the time when at home... (garage kept)

·
Registered
180 Posts
I'm not worried. I also don't worry about big trucks, crossing the street, buses or walking bare foot.
If it's that easy to take the autos I bet the insurance companies will be all over the manufactures to fix the problem. If someone wants it that bad I'm sure the truck will never be seen again. I have insurance to protect me and my loss. Again, knowing the insurance companies HATE to pay out; if it's that easy the insurance companies will get it fixed.

·
Administrator
16,100 Posts
2017 Honda Ridgeline Black Edition... walked up the driveway and pushed a relay amplifier I suppose, cleaned out the cab, never even set off an alarm. Had to install steel safe in house and carry a faraday pouch for the fob all the time now. Pah... new tech! I'd rather it wasn't keyless, or had much better security.
Are you sure it was locked?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Are you sure it was locked?
My truck got robbed in my driveway and at first I thought it might have been a hack. In retrospect, I think it was unlocked because I assumed the autolock had engaged and it hadn't. I get beep codes that sound like it's unlocked when it is or if the door is closed late. I don't have time to dink around with figuring out what scenario is what. I always double, triple lock my vehicle manually. If it doesn't beep when you push the lock button - you'd better believe it's not locked and check it again.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts