Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone had their key fob replaced by the dealer or had a spare (third) key fob made?

If so, what was the cost?

I would like to compare what the dealer charges as opposed to what Ace Hardware charges.

Thanks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The dealership I dealt with told me $450... but they added that if i buy their overpriced warranty/maintenance, it's free.
I wish they told me that before I bought the RL... and then I would have said: you can just stuff it!

·
Registered
87 Posts
The dealership I dealt with told me $450... but they added that if i buy their overpriced warranty/maintenance, it's free.
I wish they told me that before I bought the RL... and then I would have said: you can just stuff it!
Go to ebay and for $75 you can buy the fob with key: then go to any locksmith and for about $50, they can program it to your car. CALL the locksmith FIRST before you buy the fob to ENSURE they have the capability to do the programing.

·
Registered
88 Posts
My local dealer told be $260 for the fob, key blank, programming, and cutting.

My local locksmith told me "about $175" for the same.

·
Registered
87 Posts

[/QUOTE

Ebay has a new fob and key for $80. Call your local locksmith BEFORE you purchase to ensure they can program and get the cost>]

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just purchased one from Ace Hardware. $200 for the fob, cutting the key and programming. The just recently started doing this. Not sure if every location does it. Very simple, only had to wait a few days for them to get the Honda fob. I recommend it, helping the local guys is always a good thing.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just had a new key fob made at the dealer - cost 201.26. ACE hardware wanted 199.99 and would have to order fob.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I ended up getting a fob for $45 on eBay. I found a local shop that specializes in keyless remotes that programmed it for $55 and cut a key from his blank for $45.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I ended up getting a fob for $45 on eBay. I found a local shop that specializes in keyless remotes that programmed it for $55 and cut a key from his blank for $45.
I'm confused. You got a "fob-only" ie no key and then made a separate hard key? Link to ebay fob?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm confused. You got a "fob-only" ie no key and then made a separate hard key? Link to ebay fob?
I got a used fob that included a key already cut for some other vehicle. It was a private seller with just 1 available so posting the auction won't help you. But there were several in that price range at the time.

You can also get just a key blank cheap. But initially I wasn't going to bother with the key so I didn't go that route.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Funny.. when I bought my RTL-E in August they said that it was worth buying the wheel and tire protection package they offered because that plan pays for a replacement key fob. I did buy the wheel protection after grinding them down to a couple hundred bucks but I'm pretty sure that if I called the company about replacing a fob they would deny it. I am in full belief that 90% of what happens in the finance office after you agree to purchase the car is a total scam.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts