Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 114 Posts

·
Administrator
16,342 Posts
The oil life monitor is reset through the steering wheel controls - nothing has to be connected to the vehicle to do this. The instructions for resetting the Maintenance Minder are in the Owner's Manual.

There are several different messages related to the keyless system:

"Keyless Access System Problem"
"Keyless Start System Problem"
"Keyless Remote Not Detected"
"Keyless Remote Battery Low"
"To Start, Hold Remote Near Start Button"

Which exact message are you seeing?

Does the truck still start normally even though this message is present?

Does the smart entry system still work (the feature that lets you grab the door handle to unlock the vehicle)?

Do the lock/unlock/start/panic buttons still work on the remote?

·
Administrator
16,342 Posts
According to these threads on PIloteers.org, many Pilot owners have experienced the same problem. "Keyless Start System Problem" followed by a diagnosis of a faulty start/stop button with a $400 repair.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Zroger73 Thanks for your help. I took a pic of my bill for diagnosis of my keyless entry system. I like one guy’s referral to his Honda dealership as a stealer-ship. My dealership charge me $15.71 for the use of a shop towel. I had no idea that this was a ongoing problem with these cars and trucks they know they have a problem but they’re not willing to work with the vehicles that it affects. It looks like it’s getting to be the same as the airbag problems with other cars. But thank you again for helping the pages of diagrams I think will help me alleviate the problem.

·
Administrator
16,342 Posts
It's too bad this seems to be another issue that is somewhat common. Honda really needs to hold their suppliers more accountable - all of these issues from wiring harnesses to fuel pumps to timing belts to start/stop buttons are due supplier quality issues and are making Honda look bad and bringing down the brand.

Diagnostic fees even for problems that are covered under warranty (!) are becoming common as dealers look to find new revenue streams to offset razor-thin profits on new cars. I'd flip my lid over $15.71 in "misc. charges" (shop supplies). Where I come from, that's an operating expense.

It sounds like you'll be getting out for under $200 and another hour or two of your time - that's better than $400, but if I were you I'd call Honda and calmly explain my Honda ownership history, my experience with this particular issue, and the dozen or more other owners who have experience the same, premature failure including one whose vehicle was repaired at no cost to him by Honda under goodwill.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I will do that and try to stay calm. I never said but the estimated cost for the repair to my Ridgeline is $450 the $165.54 will go towards that 450 if I choose to have it repaired there. Now you can see why I was trying to get the information you supplied. Thanks again

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just got mine back from the dealer. I tried to quote the $165 Radiowc mentioned above and he said that was not possible, he basically called Radiowc a liar. I don't know if Radiowc has thoughts on this? I thought I was getting screwed at $335. I guess bikeman is even more screwed. I have two bigger issues than just the money: 1) The whole reason I bought a Honda was so I wouldn't have to deal with this crap at 3/4/5/6 years. I don't live close to any car dealer, and am very busy in the summer months, so buying new vehicles and maintaining them are a big part of my solution. 2) My dealer/Honda is not good. I am a little over my warranty period and they don't seem to care. Even my sales guy said Honda used to help people out when problems would happen around the warranty period, but not since '08. If I am going to have to deal with this crap, I might as well buy an Audi. At least it would be fun to drive!

I attached my invoice to give others an idea of what to expect. I imagine this thread will get longer as the months go by and more people experience this problem.

Edit: Oh yeah, the service guy tried to play it off like he has rarely seen the switch issue before when I know from this forum that it has been a huge problem with the Pilot and even my sales guy said he has heard of quite a few, enough in fact, that there might be a recall.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Damn it! Why didn't I just check YouTube first. This would have been a simple fix. Oh well. I'm sure something else will happen and now I know to check there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Two hours of labor is highway robbery for a procedure that takes 7 minutes. :)

I wanted to follow up on my ordeal with my Dealer and the start stop switch. As zroger73 suggested I contacted my dealer service mgr. I told him the problem I was having, the cost just to diagnose that problem and that I had ordered the new part from Honda. His reply was when you get the switch call me and we will set up an appointment, we will install your switch at no charge. That was not expected. I just took the truck in this morning it was repaired, tested and I was handed a bill for $00.00. When I left the dealer with a much better attitude towards Honda and my dealership. So I will say Thank you George and Wild Honda.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would also like to offer a follow-up to my issue with the start stop switch. After an email from the GM of the Honda dealer where they said, and I am paraphrasing, To bad so sad, I spoke with Honda of America. Since I already paid Vans Honda, Honda of America could not refund my credit card. They did however issue me a credit in the amount I paid for the repair to be used at any Honda dealer. So No thanks Vans Honda, but thanks Honda of America for me.

·
Super Moderator
5,369 Posts
That one repair alone would have paid for more than half of a 7 yr/80K mile warranty. Just a thought.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have been receiving the same message on my displayfor over a month. Just thought it was the key battery and replaced it; the message didn't appear when I started the truck up afterwards. The next day it came back and has stayed on ever since. So I started reading this thread, I think it's called, and I could have sworn someone mentioned depressing the brake pedal when shutting off the engine. Zroger73 questioned if it wasn't a programming/computer probllem so I thought I'd give it a try and have not seen the message in the past week. At most it has gone without appearing has been a day, hope I havent jinxed myself. :)

21 - 40 of 114 Posts