Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

41 - 60 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Week three and still no warning light. It appears to be a software problem to me and Honda should do an update for free when in for normal service.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I've had some intermittent problems with one of the fobs not being recognized and it appears to be a lack of signal to the G2s ECU. The fix is simple but it requires a re-do about every 2 weeks. I literally open the fob, pop the battery out, wait 15 seconds or so, reinsert the battery and good to go.

I'd assume that it is something in the one of the radio frequency modules that is not reading due to interference or a spotty connection. Not dash warnings other than an occasional 'Key Not in Range'...Just going with it vs replacing the starter button (which may not be the actual issue).

Similar issues in my daugher-in-law's 2017 CR-V.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Hello All

Just to update/follow up. I bring it to my dealer, and they able to reproduce the error. and the code is "B12C5". and they replaced the following parts 35881-TG7-A03 Switch Assembly and 7251A2 switch, engine start. Surely not due to the fob battery :) IF you have the same error.. have the dealer fixed it before your warranty went out.Glad mine still does. if not you will have to pay about 165.56$ (including labor)

Hope this help

Cheers!

Wow and yet another issue with this vehicle. My buddy has a 2019 RTL-E and his starter button is malfunctioning and I just got the same vehicle so after getting the fuel pump issue fixes and then the TSB for the A/C system that failed on mine I now have to look out for this? I don't care if it's fixed under warranty or not this vehicle should not be having this many issues. Disappointed and one more trip to the dealer and I will most likely lemon law it. First Honda and may be the last.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently started having this exact problem. I figured I would do the obvious and change the battery but the problem did not go away. This is a list of the problems I have had with my truck since day one:
Changed catalytic converters
Changed fuel injectors.
Head gaskets
Brake sensors.
Had to flush the transmission due to a change in the specifications of the fluid.
Luckily I bought the extended warranty (everyone laughed when I told them. They said "its a Honda"). Im glad I did.
Going to send this thing down the road soon.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I get a "keyless remote battery low" indication even after replacing battery in both fobs. Do you think this is the same problem?

·
Registered
426 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Looks like it has been some 4 months since I started using the brake when shutting down the engine. The only time the message appears is IF I Don't use the brake. Start using the brake again and it goes away.
Honda, tell me that this isn't a software issue.

·
Registered
426 Posts
@db2 thanks for the tip. I'll try that today. If it's true why would the switch randomly start filling?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ibjgh, good question. The fact that by depressing the brake pedal when shutting down the engine (until the H'(s) go down) make me think software not hardware (starter button). If it were solely hardware I could see an intermediate problem slowly getting worst but un-effected by depressing the brake pedal.

·
Administrator
16,318 Posts
Ibjgh, good question. The fact that by depressing the brake pedal when shutting down the engine (until the H'(s) go down) make me think software not hardware (starter button). If it were solely hardware I could see an intermediate problem slowly getting worst but un-effected by depressing the brake pedal.
Hardware is physical, so it is prone to electrical and mechanical failure. Software is simply logic, so unless someone changes the software, it shouldn't be doing anything now that it didn't do to begin with.

Also, replacing the start button seems to resolve the issue. The start button doesn't contain software, so seems to me that the root cause is hardware - not software.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
I very much appreciate this thread. My 2017 with 49K on it started having this issue. It has come and gone for the past few weeks. I tried a new battery for the key fob, that didn't work. I'll try replacing the switch, that looks easy enough. I really wish I purchased the extended warranty when I bought this truck...

·
Registered
4 Posts
74,000 AND TWO MONTHS PAST 3 YR WARRANTY. "PROBLEM WITH KEYLESS START SYSTEM" showed up on dash. Remote start still worked but automatic locking feature quit. Then back up camera quit, the worked again, then quit again. Took to dealer and diagnosed stop/start button problem requiring replacement. Back up camera, wiring harness to camera had been cut, shorting and burning out camera requiring replacement of harness and camera. Cost approx $600. Canadian with labour plus another $400 for the start stop button. Not impressed!! Understand there may be a systemic problem with start/stop button and how does the harness to the back up camera get cut? Will be contacting HONDA CANADA.

Also from new the heater does not provide any heat on idle in -20C (-19F) weather. Questioned dealer three years ago and last week.....same answer....aluminum block cools rapidly on idle and will not provide heat until around 2000 rpm. Great for stop/go commuter traffic or even lengthy red lights

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
For the harness issues, they fray from repeated opening and closing of the tailgate despite fact they are covered with wire loom. There are threads about this. Wires go through doors no problem but Honda can't seem to get this to work for the tailgate. I know a wire has to get to the camera and other tailgates don't seem to have this issue so maybe Honda should have another design that mounts the camera to the bumper or the taillight or redesign altogether. That's an expensive repair for something that shouldn't be a wear item. It's a bad design and Honda isn't stepping up with a recall so far. The harness and the fuel injectors are definitely pattern failure items.

For the heat, I find the RL to have the toastiest cabin compared to our CRV and Accord until it gets really cold like single digits (much warmer than Canada though) it can't keep up with defrosting the windshield and keeping the cabin warm.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
...Also from new the heater does not provide any heat on idle in -20C (-19F) weather. Questioned dealer three years ago and last week.....same answer....aluminum block cools rapidly on idle and will not provide heat until around 2000 rpm...
IMO, there is no excuse for this in a modern vehicle sold in winter climate zones. In my area, it is very common for people to rely on their vehicle to warm them up when parked with engine idling. If Honda can't provide that in a Ridgeline, it is time for new engineers.

·
Registered
2019 Sport Lunar Silver
176 Posts
Many aluminum blocks out there providing heat. That the service managers "Opinion'?

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
My Gen 1 2009 doesn't heat the cabin well until I'm moving. A mile down the road is fine.

Sorry you are having these problems. The tailgate wiring harness is clearly becoming an issue.

·
Administrator
16,318 Posts
74,000 AND TWO MONTHS PAST 3 YR WARRANTY. "PROBLEM WITH KEYLESS START SYSTEM" showed up on dash. Remote start still worked but automatic locking feature quit. Then back up camera quit, the worked again, then quit again. Took to dealer and diagnosed stop/start button problem requiring replacement. Back up camera, wiring harness to camera had been cut, shorting and burning out camera requiring replacement of harness and camera. Cost approx $600. Canadian with labour plus another $400 for the start stop button. Not impressed!! Understand there may be a systemic problem with start/stop button and how does the harness to the back up camera get cut? Will be contacting HONDA CANADA.

Also from new the heater does not provide any heat on idle in -20C (-19F) weather. Questioned dealer three years ago and last week.....same answer....aluminum block cools rapidly on idle and will not provide heat until around 2000 rpm. Great for stop/go commuter traffic or even lengthy red lights
You could have fixed the keyless start system problem yourself for a fraction of what the dealer charged.

The camera harness failure is being discussed here.

Insufficient heat in extremely cold ambient temperatures is becoming a common complaint as gasoline engine efficiency improves and the generate less waste heat. It's not just the Ridgeline.

·
Registered
16 Posts
...I spoke with Honda of America.
Would you mind saving me some time and sharing your contact? I had success getting a FULL refund once from Subaru USA.

I have had mine in now for the second time... I even generated the green security icon at one point.
Dealer insists that the logs now definitively point to the Keyless Control Unit. Parts ordered (I refused to pay in advance). Current estimate $650+. Dealership also claims NATIONAL BACKORDER on said parts. WTF? They say could be 3 days, or 3 weeks... how can this be? I live outside Chicago... dozens of honda dealerships - not ONE has the parts to share? Incredible.

Yes, I did refer to the obvious thousands of customers nationally. Dealership said IF a recall is ever enacted, my receipts will gain some refund cash.

This is my first repair - all other work was maintenance. 101,000 miles.

41 - 60 of 112 Posts