Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Would you mind saving me some time and sharing your contact? I had success getting a FULL refund once from Subaru USA.

I have had mine in now for the second time... I even generated the green security icon at one point.
Dealer insists that the logs now definitively point to the Keyless Control Unit. Parts ordered (I refused to pay in advance). Current estimate $650+. Dealership also claims NATIONAL BACKORDER on said parts. WTF? They say could be 3 days, or 3 weeks... how can this be? I live outside Chicago... dozens of honda dealerships - not ONE has the parts to share? Incredible.

Yes, I did refer to the obvious thousands of customers nationally. Dealership said IF a recall is ever enacted, my receipts will gain some refund cash.

This is my first repair - all other work was maintenance. 101,000 miles.
HoA called me, stated plainly and not surprisingly: Out of Warranty. If a recall is ever issued, it will be my responsibility to contact them about a potential refund. Also refused to provide either a written, or electronic version of that position.

Meanwhile, dealer says end of February MINIMUM for repair component.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Finally repaired. Keyless Control Unit... even after I requested review of estimated labor, they still billed me for two hours; $630+.

I know that this is my first repair, and above 100k miles, but they knew of this problem YEARS ago. I'm rethinking Honda... maybe back to Subaru... or Mazda.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ibjgh, good question. The fact that by depressing the brake pedal when shutting down the engine (until the H'(s) go down) make me think software not hardware (starter button). If it were solely hardware I could see an intermediate problem slowly getting worst but un-effected by depressing the brake pedal.
My alarm came in this morning. It came in a few weeks back then cleared. Dealer said I needed a new switch for almost 300 bucks. Anyway, just read your thread and went outside to try shutting down with the brake depressed. Alarm cleared again. Something weird is going on, but at least I can clear the alarm.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2018 RTL-E would not start this morning. Replaced the FOB battery last week. Past couple of days, the remote starter would not work. Now I know why. Battery was completely dead this morning. Jumped it and drove it to the Honda dealer where I bought it. 15k miles on it. I was hoping it was just the battery but after an hour, advisor came out and said it's the Smart Power Control Unit. part# 38320T6ZA31. It would not hold a charge so they pulled the codes. To my shock and horror, he said it's on national backorder with no ETA. said it could be a week or a month. Offered me a CRV as a loaner. What choice did I have? Took the loaner. They replaced a fuel injector last year. Cigarette lighter only works 50% of the time so they're going to look at that too. It's still under the original warranty but I'm glad I purchased the HondaCare extended warranty.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I haven’t been using this feature, but because of this thread, I check it out. Sure enough, reñiste start is not working.

Is there a thread that has a list of issues found on the G2?

A quick search didn’t reveal anything.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Well, I got the "keyless start message" this morning. It only happened once, and I've probably started my RL at least ten times since then. I viewed the video on changing it, and it seems like a very easy job. If it happens again, I suppose I'll be ordering the switch, which can be purchased in the $60 range. I have about 37k miles now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2017 Rideline RTL-T AWD. I replaced the ignition start button in October, and I am told it needs another and will likely need a $600.00 ignition module. Anyone else have this experience???
All comments are welcome......Thanks

·
Registered
407 Posts
Took all of 15 minutes.

I took the switch apart to see if there was an obvious failure point.

Nope couldn't see anything but it was pretty complicated inside. Picture below of innards.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Yes. It is a regular issue with the switches.

You'll get a "Keyless Start System Problem" error on your display but the truck will start and run properly.

This should really be a freebee as the fault affects many honda/acura products.

Here are a few other pictures in youtube format. It's pretty complex inside the switch.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You could have fixed the keyless start system problem yourself for a fraction of what the dealer charged.

The camera harness failure is being discussed here.

Insufficient heat in extremely cold ambient temperatures is becoming a common complaint as gasoline engine efficiency improves and the generate less waste heat. It's not just the Ridgeline.
I have a 2017 Honda Ridgeline Black Edition and just this week began seeing this keyless start system problem pop up on my dash. Prior to that, when I turned the vehicle off, the dash lights would sparkle and light up...last for about 2 minutes. What can we do?

·
Administrator
14,959 Posts
I have a 2017 Honda Ridgeline Black Edition and just this week began seeing this keyless start system problem pop up on my dash. Prior to that, when I turned the vehicle off, the dash lights would sparkle and light up...last for about 2 minutes. What can we do?
Welcome to the Ridgeline Owners Club, @DBowling!

I merged your post into this existing thread on the subject that you may find helpful.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Had our 2017 Black Edition for just over 2 weeks. Saturday I washed if for the first time and when I went to move it I got the Keyless Start System Problem. Happened all weekend when I started it but it started and ran fine. Tuesday morning the message disappeared. Wednesday(today) it is back.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I purchased a 2017 Honda Ridgeline with 54,000 miles on May 7, 2020. About a week later I turned off the vehicle and did not immediately get out and the instrument panel began lighting up . It stopped after about a minute. It continued doing this. I parked it on Monday and on Friday, I had an appointment with a Honda Dealer but the battery was completely dead. I did get it sparking and flashing lights on video and now it says, Keyless Start Problem System. This is just crazy. Honda need a recall to fix this. It's dangerous.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yep, just started getting this on mine the other day. I live an hour and a half from the dealer and of course I am past my warranty (46k miles). Grr.
Hi

Just want to keep touch with everyone here.. Is anyone having this error before on your RL?
"Keyless Start System Problem" on ther dask consiole screen.

Is this a known issue? or common problem?

TIA
I bought a 2017 Ridgeline Black Edition With 54,000 miles and mine is doing the same. Turn off motor and it begins to make sparking noise while light flash. Then I got Keyless Start System Problem. Honda needs to issue a recall.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi

Just want to keep touch with everyone here.. Is anyone having this error before on your RL?
"Keyless Start System Problem" on ther dask consiole screen.

Is this a known issue? or common problem?

TIA
I have the problem on my 2017 Honda Ridgeline Black Edition. Dash Lights come on after I turn the vehicle off. It was parked more than 8 hours yesterday and when I got home, I went to start it so that the battery would stay charged and the dash lights were blinking. I'm taking it to the dealer tomorrow and will post the diagnostic.

I actually just started getting this message this month as well. Seems like it's a big or common issue on Pilots but yours is the only one I see here with the Ridgeline. I know it's not a battery issue as mine was just changed in the last month. Weird thing has been that it seems completely random when I get it. Sometimes I'll get it for an entire day every time I start and then I won't see it for 3 or 4 days.
My problem is not a fey fob battery issue either. Taking to dealer tomorrow.

Mine also said Keyless start system problem.

61 - 77 of 77 Posts