Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nice forum. I've gained a lot of info from reading the threads. I'm thinking about buying my 1st personal truck. I drive a '14 F150 daily for work, so I have some idea of what I'm getting into. The F150 is terrible and so bare bones that it has manual windows. But I am typically more a sports car guy. I don't want something big, so started looking at mid size trucks and narrowed it down to the Ridgeline and the Tacoma. I test drove both this past weekend and quickly took the Tacoma off the list. It's tiny inside. I'm average size at 6' and found it confined and not very easy to even get in and out of. The RL was much better, drove better, more comfortable, better options...it just doesn't look as good as Tacoma. I did find the brakes on the RL to be spongy and weak. I was hoping to test drive an RTL-E or a Black Edition, but my local dealer only has 2 sport editions. They did have BE Pilot and it was pretty sharp, but it was a 2020 and had several options not found in the RL, like the 9 speed, updated dash and infotainment, so I wasn't able to get a good idea of what the top RL-BE is like. There are some dealers 90 mins away that I will need to visit to see the trim levels I like. With some internet shopping, I was able to get what look like nice quotes from a dealer in Chicago area. 2019 RTL-E for $36,195 or the 2019 BE for $37,511. Both quotes include destination fees and the truck don't have any dealer options installed. Having had a black vehicle before, I am leery of getting another, but they look so good when clean. $1,300 for the BE upgrade isn't bad, I just have to decide if I want black. If I go with the E trim, I would go white with black. Not real sure on moving forward. More of just a hey why not kind of an idea. My personal car typically doesn't get 5-7k miles a year. I'm currently driving a Lexus RC-F and it would a world of change. But I don't drive it in bad weather or in the winter at all really. I wouldn't feel this way about a truck. Having just starting contemplating this change, I am also thinking I should hold off and see what 2020 brings. Power folding mirrors would be nice. I can get a F150 XL in my garage next to my wife's CRV, but it's crowded and the mirrors make it a slight chore.

Anyway, just wanted to say hi, see what anyone thought about the offers I was given and get feedback on RTL-E vs BE. Anyone else jump from a sport car to RL? Did you regret it? Sometimes, I think I have to be crazy to make this change. Other times I just think go for it, it's just a car, try something new. I won't be using it off road, mostly as a car with the option to carry stuff when needed. Here are some pics of my current and previous cars. I like to mod, so I am also thinking the RTL-E would be better for me.

·
Registered
9,847 Posts
Whereas the 2020 RL hasn't been fully announced yet, that BE Pilot should be pretty darn close to how a 20 RL BE will look and drive. It's almost a foregone conclusion that the 20 will get the 9-speed ZF and updated infotainment. Otherwise, if you're keen on getting a 2019 and saving a nice chunk of money, that Sport you drove (as long as it was AWD) will drive nearly identically to the BE. Mechanically, they're the same as far as the drivetrain, suspension, and brakes go. The problem is that Honda has basically stopped manufacturing the RTL-T, RTL-E and BE for 2019. Only Sport and RTL's are being made which means the E and BE are getting VERY scarce. There's a pretty big difference in features between the Sport and the RTL. If you can find an RTL, you might want to take a look. Yes, the E and BE offer some nice upgrades, but, in my opinion, aren't worth the price increase. If you buy a 2019 RTL and set aside $1500 for head unit and audio upgrades, you can make an RTL-T for half the price of the MSRP increase and the audio/connectivity will be better. It will drive and handle just like the higher end models and you can be happy with saving some coin.

Otherwise, hold off for the 2020. The ZF9 is supposed to be very good, but the maintenance costs for it are several times higher than the 6AT. One quart of fluid for the ZF is just shy of $50 and the full fluid service at a dealership has been shown to cost in excess of $500. Luckily, you only need to do that every 45-60k miles or so.

Bottom line - you won't find a truck that feels as "small" as the Ridgeline while handling while also being "big" when you're hauling or needing to transport people.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I went from a 2006 Accord v6 to the 2019 Black Edition and absolutely love it. I was always a car person so I feel this truck was an easy fit for me because of the comfy ride, handling, easy to park/maneuver . I wanted something for hauling house stuff and something to haul the dogs around, it has been a great fit. I also test drove the Tacoma but had a hard time loving the ride quality and tight space inside and didn't really need the clearance or off-road capabilities. Just got back from helping my brother move from Texas to Utah. Drove the truck 2600 miles and felt like it was very pleasant and easy to drive. Half of those miles were towing a 6x12 Uhaul trailer. I would recommend the RTL-E or BE, enjoyed having the extra safety features on long trips.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are the current deal prices on the RL common or is Honda trying to clear out old inventory? If I can get a 2019 E or BE for 36-37k, will I come close to that price on a 2020? I assume the 2020 models will MSRP around 44-45k. I would have to guess that a "good deal" on a 2020 will be 4-5k more than what I am seeing for the new 2019. Any ideas? I'd like to hold out and see what changes are made, but I don't see the updates being worth the price difference since it isn't a model refresh. Of course, buying a 2019 now is buying a year old vehicle and that depreciates it right off the bat. So, why not buy a low mile CPO model?? Well, from what I've seen they are asking almost the same as new ones. Decisions, decisions.

Local dealer is letting me take a 17 RTL for an extended test drive Saturday. This way I can get it home and test fit it in the garage. If the test drive and fit go well, I may just move forward with getting 19.

·
Registered
9,847 Posts
^^ The deals currently found on the new 19's are rather unprecedented. There is quite a bit of inventory on dealer lots - especially Sport and RTL models since it was rumored that Honda stopped building BE, E's, and T's a few months ago. Things we all but know for a fact about the 20's is that the RT and RTL-T trims are gone leaving the Sport, RTL, E and BE. They will all get the ZF 9-speed transmission. It's said to be pretty good (all the kinks worked out now), but that the maintenance costs are several times more than with the 6AT. Also, Honda Sensing, an updated infotainment system, and possibly the LED headlights will find their way into most all of the trims with likely the exception of the Sport. There will also be the deletion and/or addition of an exterior color or two and the chance of slightly redesigned front end styling. There was a whisper of the potential of a hybrid option, but I entirely do not see that happening.
The biggest thing with the 20's is that you will NOT see the discounts on them that the 19's have right now. They will most likely sell for full sticker price for at least a few months, if not longer. Right now, low mileage used T's and E's have list prices of $30-35k+. It literally does not make sense to buy used when you can get a brand new one for the same price or maybe a thousand or two more.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Are the current deal prices on the RL common or is Honda trying to clear out old inventory? If I can get a 2019 E or BE for 36-37k, will I come close to that price on a 2020? I assume the 2020 models will MSRP around 44-45k. I would have to guess that a "good deal" on a 2020 will be 4-5k more than what I am seeing for the new 2019. Any ideas? I'd like to hold out and see what changes are made, but I don't see the updates being worth the price difference since it isn't a model refresh. Of course, buying a 2019 now is buying a year old vehicle and that depreciates it right off the bat. So, why not buy a low mile CPO model?? Well, from what I've seen they are asking almost the same as new ones. Decisions, decisions.

Local dealer is letting me take a 17 RTL for an extended test drive Saturday. This way I can get it home and test fit it in the garage. If the test drive and fit go well, I may just move forward with getting 19.
I usually buy 3-4 year old vehicles for cash, but as you also noticed the used prices couldn't compete with the discounted 2019 prices, so it was a no-brainer, value-wise, to buy a 2019 - got a blue RTL AWD last week. Paid under 32k vs. 2017s listed in the high 20s with 40k miles (etc.), and since the finance rate is .9% I financed a chunk of it.

Unless Honda has a couple well-hidden tricks up its sleeve for the 2020, to me it sure wouldn't be worth 4-5k more. For example if you bought the 2020 and I were shopping for a used RL in 2023-24, I would be a lot more concerned about # of miles and condition of your truck than whether it was a 2019 or 2020 model year.

Great idea to borrow a used G2 RL to get a feel for it. I thought about asking to do that as well.

·
Registered
9,847 Posts
I entirely understand what you're saying. However, if the ZF9 turns out to be quirky and remains as expensive to maintain as it is now, people will most certainly care if it's a 19 or a 20. Beyond that, for my personal tastes, I would also most definitely care about it being an 18 or 19. Being that the rear slider and sunroof were only available on E's and BE's in 18, I'd need to look for that trim. Whereas, with the 19, I'd be way more than happy with an RTL at a few thousand less. For me, the 19 RTL is the sweet spot that has everything I'd want in a truck that I'd keep for a very long time. I'd add a Carplay head unit and upgrade the speakers and be quite happy with it, I think. I'd learn to like the front end.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The truck fit in the garage just fine. Went back to the dealership and they matched the $37,511 offer I had from the Chicago dealer. They don't have one in stock, but said they can dealer trade and have it Mon or Tues. So, signed an agreement. No options, $199 doc fee, 0.9% financing.

·
Registered
9,847 Posts
The truck fit in the garage just fine. Went back to the dealership and they matched the $37,511 offer I had from the Chicago dealer. They don't have one in stock, but said they can dealer trade and have it Mon or Tues. So, signed an agreement. No options, $199 doc fee, 0.9% financing.
Is that for an E or a BE?

·
Registered
9,847 Posts
Black Edition
I thought that may be the case. That's a pretty darn good deal you got. Likely $5000 less than the expected selling prices of the 2020's. I hope you take delivery in the next few days and get many great years of service out of it!

·
Registered
268 Posts
I entirely understand what you're saying. However, if the ZF9 turns out to be quirky and remains as expensive to maintain as it is now, people will most certainly care if it's a 19 or a 20. Beyond that, for my personal tastes, I would also most definitely care about it being an 18 or 19. Being that the rear slider and sunroof were only available on E's and BE's in 18, I'd need to look for that trim. Whereas, with the 19, I'd be way more than happy with an RTL at a few thousand less. For me, the 19 RTL is the sweet spot that has everything I'd want in a truck that I'd keep for a very long time. I'd add a Carplay head unit and upgrade the speakers and be quite happy with it, I think. I'd learn to like the front end.
Had overlooked the 6 vs 9 transmission as a differentiator in this conversation. What’s funny is that was one of the two primary reasons I moved on the 19 vs waiting - that and the big discounts available only for a short window.

That’s how I see the RTL AWD - everything I want, except for no satellite radio, and actually more than I thought I’d get - ie moonroof & rear sliding window. Test drove an E first and didn’t care for the lane minder, and had read the mixed head unit user reviews. The RTL is the right one for me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts