Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry in advance for my long winded background story. I'm a current 2017 Ridgeline owner sitting at 44,000 miles with me being the third owner. The car was purchased from CA by me with 32,000 miles and registered in Nevada, September of 2018.

Less than a year ago fuel rails and injectors were replaced under warranty at around 34,000 miles. On the 5 mile trip home all warnings resurfaced again with strong smell of fuel. Dealership towed back and let me know the that there was a high pressure leak and they properly tightened and it was fixed. This sets the stage for my confidence in the dealership.

Two times since the system emissions problem popped up again only to disappear days later. Perhaps foolishly, I was discouraged by the dealership to diagnose with $120 fee to look it over. The error returning for the third time, last week I scheduled an appointment with the dealership ready to pony up the money. Light again disappeared by time it was dropped off.

Within an hour of it being looked over, service advisor communicated that tech says a rat chewed on knock sensor wires. I'll have to replace knock sensor and potentially the wiring harness that its connected to. They won't know until they start replacing it. Of course, my mistrust in dealership only grows. The knock sensor code confirmed and I'm confident, but not sure, that's all that was done to diagnose. So why, although plausible, the BS story? I took my truck back with no light on, no diagnostic fee and no long term fix. I cannot help but feel this all stems from their original errors.

I'm left contemplating my next course of action. Should I replace without light on for a potential fee of around $1500($170 for the sensor alone)? Different dealership? If replaced should I ask for old parts back to verify a resemblence of chew marks vs high pressure liquid damage or potentially melted wires? Might these be covered under CA emissions warranty if I bought it to a CA Honda dealership even though purchased from a Porsche dealership?

In my frustration I feel I'm lacking logic. Please offer your insight on how you see a logical and feasible approach on moving forward. When receiving my Ridgeline back I circled back to the thread about tailgate camera harness fray and my mention of Honda gathering a sample population. They were quite dismissive with letting me know, they could look at it, for....
..$120.

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,242 Posts
Personally, I'd want the entire (anti) knock-sensor system assuredly and consistently working properly .... it bears too much on both engine performance and engine protection to ignore, IMO.

Might these be covered under CA emissions warranty if I bought it to a CA Honda dealership even though purchased from a Porsche dealership?
Attached FYI, the list (page 2) shows "Knock Sensor" covered 7yrs/70k miles for "Vehicles registered and normally operated in California ...." (bold added, this for 2019, might be different for 2017, I downloaded the document from Honda Owner website where you can find it for your year).

Though purchase used from a Porsche dealer should not be a factor, current state of registration might be, and if determined the failure is due to rodent damage rather than component defect that might be a factor in warranty coverage, too.

Different dealership?
Little harm in trying if you lack faith in the one you've consulted; it's well-established that not all dealers are the same in terms of competence and/or customer service, doesn't matter what brand is being discussed.

I can't help but wonder if, lacking warranty coverage, a competent independent repair facility could do a successful splice to fix a chewed harness problem rather than likely more costly sub-harness replacement the dealer would do (dealers being loath to fix rather than replace)?

Having said that I'm not sure if this is a circuit that's particularly sensitive to resistance changes which might make a splice-repair inappropriate. In any case, if there's warranty coverage questions it might be worthwhile to discuss the situation with a reputable independent Honda repair facility if you've got one handy. Again, IMO.

Good Luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great point I overlooked with my narrow focus. An independent mechanic. Thanks for the other info too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts