Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased my 06 RTL yesterday. I've now noticed, especially at lower speeds, random knocking noises in the rear. They don't necessarily happen when I brake or accelerate. Anyone have the same experience and solution?

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Your rear differential may need to have the fluid replaced. Check your owner's manual for more information.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The noise comes from the left rear. It is more noticeable at lower speeds, less than 35 mph. And I don't hear it when I hit speed bumps. The sound is similar to driving down a concrete freeway and hitting the seams at low speeds. (That's the first thing that came to mind.) It's VERY annoying. It had it inspected at Right Honda in Scottsdale before I purchased it. They said nothing about suspension or sway bar links. I'll have them look at it again.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
The noise comes from the left rear. It is more noticeable at lower speeds, less than 35 mph. And I don't hear it when I hit speed bumps. The sound is similar to driving down a concrete freeway and hitting the seams at low speeds. (That's the first thing that came to mind.) It's VERY annoying. It had it inspected at Right Honda in Scottsdale before I purchased it. They said nothing about suspension or sway bar links. I'll have them look at it again.
In the first post you said it was random. The sounds from seams would be rhythmic. My first guess if some what random would be the axle/joint due to the power distribution at lower speeds between front and back during acceleration. I have replaced a left front axle/joint that would make a sound similar to what you describe, but I could make it happen just by turning the wheel, eventhough it wasn't always necessary for the noise to happen. Obviously, you can't turn the rear wheels to test this. My theory is probably unlikely in the rear. Just a thought, none the less.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts