Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about installing the running boards myself. It looks like cake.

HOWEVER, what in the world is this business with using this special tool to insert the knurled threaded insert into a freakin' hole?

From the instructions found here it doesn't look like the tool does much of anything.

Anyone done this install? Was it easy getting the running boards straight and level?

·
Registered
275 Posts
OK. I guess it's my turn...Do a search. In fact, at the bottom of this page there is a section called "similar threads." This topic has been covered, debated and "How-To'ed" and any and all questions answered and problems solved, pictures posted... in threads on the site. I think the tool and how to make your own ($1.87 Rivet nut tool for step/running boards) will answer all your questions on that topic.

Best of luck and enjoy your Ridge!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hey Crispy,

I just did the install myself about two weeks ago and though it took me a bit to get the first rivnut installed the second one took just a minute. The secret to the '$1.87 Rivet nut tool' was adding another nut to the end and using it to start the process. Before you insert your '$1.85' rivnut tool, give it a good couple of turns with that last nut on there. This will give just enough tension to start the process when you insert the rivnut. However, don't forget to take that last nut off or you'll be sorry. Or you can just borrow the college hills tool if you don't feel as adventurous.

As far as alignment, there isn't much to do but align the board up with the rear fender. There are so many nuts and bolt on this thing that it doesn't leave a lot of room for adjustment, which is a good thing.

Good luck. Let us know how you plan to proceed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts