Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wasn't sure where to post this but figured I'd put it here in the towing section. I had been wanting to get a Louisiana Guard Dog to hold my ATV in the back of the RL but kept putting it off. But when I saw on slickdeals that Advance Auto had a 35% off code and they had the Kolpin Lock it Rite (which is a copy of the LA Guard Dog) I decided to go ahead and order it for $110. I had contacted the people at LAGD to see if they knew of any issues of using one with the Ridgeline, and I received an email with a range of measurements that certain things had to fall within. After reading the email I loaded my Outlander into the truck and took some measurements. What I found was that my combination of Ridgeline + ATV was at or near the max limits I was provided. This concerned me because I was having to eyeball and approximate my measurements. But if the measurements I was provided were correct and my measurements were correct then it should work. I received the Kolpin on Wednesday and tried it out yesterday to see if it worked. I'm pleased to say that it does work with the Ridgeline. But I will also say that it is, in fact, at its max range. If you had a smaller (shorter) ATV you would have more room to play with. If the ATV is lifted or has bigger tires than 25" it would not work. Here's some pictures of mine, so maybe this will help someone or maybe introduce some of you to what this thing does.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
Looks like a very solid attachment but I would be tempted to have something against the rear window, plywood sheet, etc. But that is just a 'feeling' looking at it! :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Even without anything holding it, those black pieces on the front of the ATV hit against the black part of the truck. Nothing on the ATV hits the back glass even when all the way up. Whenever I do take it somewhere next, I'm going to also use straps on the front racks just as extra precaution.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
Well, of course, enough impact on the black area just below can't be good with the window just above it, but it seems you have it all under control. Like I said, it just looks that way to me.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
That's a neat contraption (was wondering what the extra tube out the back was then seen it's for bikes), but I'll still use my utility trailer to haul mine.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Well I've got to say, that's one heck of a long cantilever arm on the vertical member to not expect any deflection front to rear. But with a couple of straps, it would provide great comfort. I'd strap down the front to prevent movement toward the 'window' area; and again at rear.... just wrap a couple of times around that vertical member and to the rear bed corner tie downs to prevent too much rear-ward deflection. That would make me much more comfortable in case of rough roads or hard starts/stops/turns.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
Brake dive is not great in the RL especially with that much weight in the rear. But I think limiting any movement to the front should be paramount. As Dnick notes an arm that long can only be so rigid.

I wonder the value of a wireless cam on the back somewhere to overlook the whole thing. More value on a long journey I guess.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I put my BF 750i in the back of my RL...once. it hogged all the space in the bed and made it a real pain to strap down properly. i also weighed the rear axle of the ATV and it was 400#. the RL has a load of 300# for the tailgate. If you are going to haul the atv much get a couple of flat 6' ramps and trim them down and place them under the atv tires. this will spread the load evenly across the entire bed and tailgate and not have it focused only where the tires touch.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Went on my first real trip today using the guard, and I felt so much better having it back there than just straps. I drove an hour and a half each way to my sister-in-law's house for a Memorial Day cookout on curvy backroads of North Carolina, and the ATV never moved an inch. For those worried about the ATV hitting the front of the bed, I stuffed a pillow in between the ATV front bumper and the bed. It was only about an inch of room so the pillow fit in nice and tight. I used a strap on each side from the tie-downs to the ATV's front rack.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts