Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Well if anyone has noticed all the refernces to a KTC tool for taking your Ridgeline apart, and installing accessories, well I have found it.
It is available for $26.00 for a set of 4 tools at this link.
http://thetoolnetwork.com/panel_popper_kit_by_ktc_tool_company.html

I have alos found the rivet nut tool for the side steps, and running board, but need to know the bolt size to get the right one. It is only $22.95 and looks to be the same one as pictured in the installation sheet.

http://www.aircraft-tool.com/shop/d...&ReturnPage=/shop/search_result.aspx?PageNo=4

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
delphi7x10 said:
Hi All,

Well if anyone has noticed all the refernces to a KTC tool for taking your Ridgeline apart, and installing accessories, well I have found it.
It is available for $26.00 for a set of 4 tools at this link.
http://thetoolnetwork.com/panel_popper_kit_by_ktc_tool_company.html

I have alos found the rivet nut tool for the side steps, and running board, but need to know the bolt size to get the right one. It is only $22.95 and looks to be the same one as pictured in the installation sheet.

http://www.aircraft-tool.com/shop/d...&ReturnPage=/shop/search_result.aspx?PageNo=4

Excellent work. The install docs say 8mm for the rivet tool so I assume that's the bolt size and this would be the right tool:
http://www.aircraft-tool.com/shop/d...&ReturnPage=/shop/search_result.aspx?PageNo=1

·
Registered
274 Posts
Don't mean to disappoint you, 8-32 SAE Standard threads, if the right size is 8 mm metric threads, and larger diameter.
vertrkr said:
Ok, without verifying it's correct I gambled and ordered it, RN190-8-32, hoping that's the right nut size. I get it tomorrow. Let ya know if it fits.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Ridge Man said:
Don't mean to disappoint you, 8-32 SAE Standard threads, if the right size is 8 mm metric threads, and larger diameter.
Not sure you finished the sentence or I don't understand but if it doesn't fit then I fall back to plan c which is threading the bolt thru the rivet nut and putting on a washer and nut and tightening it down to crush the rivet in place. I won't torque too hard as the spec is only 5ft/lbs for that bolt so hopefully I won't pull the threads out of the rivet in doing so.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Vertrkr,

Thats what I like to see, if you can;t buy it build it. I was thinking of the same thing, perhaps 2 washers with either a bearing, or just some oil between, you don't want the contact with rivet to turn.

vertrkr said:
Not sure you finished the sentence or I don't understand but if it doesn't fit then I fall back to plan c which is threading the bolt thru the rivet nut and putting on a washer and nut and tightening it down to crush the rivet in place. I won't torque too hard as the spec is only 5ft/lbs for that bolt so hopefully I won't pull the threads out of the rivet in doing so.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
delphi7x10 said:
Vertrkr,

Thats what I like to see, if you can;t buy it build it. I was thinking of the same thing, perhaps 2 washers with either a bearing, or just some oil between, you don't want the contact with rivet to turn.
Ya, in my search of local stores for the tool I went to PEP Boys last and saw the Snap-On tool truck parked around the back. I thought if any one he'd have it he would. I talked to the guy and indeed he had the tool but it was a kit with a bunch of extras for $150 and he said really don't bother and use the washer and nut trick but to be careful not to over tighten.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Ok the hand rivet nut tool at that site:
http://www.aircraft-tool.com/shop/d...t.aspx?PageNo=1

is totally the wrong size but the right type of tool. Might want to call them and ask if they have the metric 8mm version, I should have done that darn it.

Anyway, I got the part I ordered which was the SAE 8-32 size, guess I had a senior moment when I did that, what was I thinking. However, obsessed with completing this running board project myself and this weekend I bought a 8mm bolt and cut off the head. Then I drilled out the center of the bolt to the 8-32 size and epoxy it to the rivet mandrel. I also had to drill out a bigger hole in the rivet tool so the 8mm bolt could slide thru. I'm letting it dry overnight but it sure seems like it will work now.

BTW, my previous plan C of using the bolt/washer/nut method won't work because it's blind, meaning you can't reach to the back side to install the nut, thus the rivet, duh! think I'm getting old.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Vertrkr,

No your not getting old, just tired, the nut goes in front of the rivet. Use a ratchet to hold the 8mm bolt, then a wrench to turn the nut into the rivet. As the nut turns the bolt is pulled through the rivet, since the bolt does not turn, you need nothing on the blind side.
Look at the instruction page again, and picture that the large part the 27mm wrench goes on is your nut, with a washer or 2 between it and the rivet.

You are safe believe me.

vertrkr said:
Ok the hand rivet nut tool at that site:
http://www.aircraft-tool.com/shop/d...t.aspx?PageNo=1

is totally the wrong size but the right type of tool. Might want to call them and ask if they have the metric 8mm version, I should have done that darn it.

Anyway, I got the part I ordered which was the SAE 8-32 size, guess I had a senior moment when I did that, what was I thinking. However, obsessed with completing this running board project myself and this weekend I bought a 8mm bolt and cut off the head. Then I drilled out the center of the bolt to the 8-32 size and epoxy it to the rivet mandrel. I also had to drill out a bigger hole in the rivet tool so the 8mm bolt could slide thru. I'm letting it dry overnight but it sure seems like it will work now.

BTW, my previous plan C of using the bolt/washer/nut method won't work because it's blind, meaning you can't reach to the back side to install the nut, thus the rivet, duh! think I'm getting old.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
delphi7x10 said:
Vertrkr,
No your not getting old, just tired, the nut goes in front of the rivet. Use a ratchet to hold the 8mm bolt, then a wrench to turn the nut into the rivet. As the nut turns the bolt is pulled through the rivet, since the bolt does not turn, you need nothing on the blind side.
Look at the instruction page again, and picture that the large part the 27mm wrench goes on is your nut, with a washer or 2 between it and the rivet.
You are safe believe me.
This is really embarrassing. Indeed that will work just fine, my mind was stuck in a rut. I'll go with the tired thing as I am working double shifts for the past 2 months and I have a 1 & 3 year old. Hate to think I'm too old at 35 to figure these things out.

At any rate I have an end to the saga. My home-made tool did not work, perhaps if I tapped the hole it might have held but just a smooth bore held with epoxy was no match. So then, I just got back from my local Honda dealer with both rivets installed. I slipped in the back of the garage and sweet talked a mechanic to loan me his tool for 5 minutes, I got both of them installed likity split, drove home and put on the running boards. Love 'em.

·
Registered
536 Posts
The KTC tool is $26 + $6 for handling + $8 for shipping, all for a set of four plastic trim pry bars.

Seems a bit spendy....

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I will be doing so interior work on my truck soon and will need to remove door panels for speaker upgrades and the center console for some other additions. I remembered reading this post about a nice took kit for removing the panels but after searching I could not find it. It could be that some idiot was searching for the wrong thing. I eventually stumbled on it so I thought that I would bring it up again so that others may be able to benefit from the info.

I ordered a set today. I agree Whaleya, they must be good tools! If they save me a broken clip or a scratched panel it will be worth it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts