Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With lane assist on braking comes on sporadically going from middle lane to right lane sometimes solid lane to dashes…without anything in front???????????

In the last week, 3 times going from middle lane to right lane "dashes" the brakes would come on with nothing ahead...any ideas?? thanks aL

·
Registered
28 Posts
It’s probably the safety features. Are you using your turn signal to change lanes? It might think you are leaving the road and braking to minimize the severity of the crash.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very interesting, I called Honda they had no idea. I also went to dealership could not duplicate, hopefully I could video and share. Many thanks for the idea…aL

·
Administrator
13,329 Posts
Since the Lane Keeping Assist System doesn't brake and there's nothing in front of you, it's probably Road Departure Mitigation that is braking the vehicle. You can turn RDM off and still use LKAS. Sometimes, I'll be driving on a road with clear lane markings, but the vehicle incorrectly identifies dark skid marks or crack repair tar lines as lane markings and will warn, steer, and brake.

The specific message that appears will be a clue as well:

The "BRAKE" message is generated only by the Collision Mitigation Braking System. If this warning is present when the vehicle brakes, then it thinks you may collide with a metallic object ahead.

"Lane Departure" is generated by both LKAS and RDM. LKAS cannot brake the vehicle, but RDM can. The graphic will show you which side of the lane it thinks the vehicle is close to.

"Steering Required" is generated only when LKAS is on and the vehicle senses that you're not providing enough steering input.

If you haven't already, I strongly suggest you download the FULL Owner's Manual from owners.honda.com (not the Owner's Guide that comes with the vehicle). It explains all of these systems in detail

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Own my Ridgeline for 3 months.. Love it…the Road Departure Mitigation has been on since new. I was about 2 seconds on a green light and a Ford Van went thru on a red, trust me it works great. About 6 times in the last couple weeks it’s ID’ ing a shift to the right lane with a clear view with breaking, hopefully I can duplicate for Honda Tech…Thanks for your input..aL

Since the Lane Keeping Assist System doesn't brake and there's nothing in front of you, it's probably Road Departure Mitigation that is braking the vehicle. You can turn RDM off and still use LKAS. Sometimes, I'll be driving on a road with clear lane markings, but the vehicle incorrectly identifies dark skid marks or crack repair tar lines as lane markings and will warn, steer, and brake.

The specific message that appears will be a clue as well:

The "BRAKE" message is generated only by the Collision Mitigation Braking System. If this warning is present when the vehicle brakes, then it thinks you may collide with a metallic object ahead.

"Lane Departure" is generated by both LKAS and RDM. LKAS cannot brake the vehicle, but RDM can. The graphic will show you which side of the lane it thinks the vehicle is close to.

"Steering Required" is generated only when LKAS is on and the vehicle senses that you're not providing enough steering input.

If you haven't already, I strongly suggest you download the FULL Owner's Manual from owners.honda.com (not the Owner's Guide that comes with the vehicle). It explains all of these systems in detail

Thank you

·
Registered
51 Posts
Works great for sure.

I moved over (safely) crossing the median line to provide space for a cyclist and the ridgeline just wanted me to keep squeezing the cyclist to the curb haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Works great for sure.

I moved over (safely) crossing the median line to provide space for a cyclist and the ridgeline just wanted me to keep squeezing the cyclist to the curb haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You have to tell your Ridgeline what you are trying to do (just like you are supposed to signal everybody else on the road...). If you turn on your turn signal to indicate you intend to leave the current lane, the Ridgeline won’t fight you, nor will it think you are leaving the road and apply the brakes...unless of course the radar actually detects a rapidly approaching object. 😂

·
Registered
419 Posts
I
It’s probably the safety features. Are you using your turn signal to change lanes? It might think you are leaving the road and braking to minimize the severity of the crash.
I agree. I had that happen with lines on the road, but only when I didn't use my turn signal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts