Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Because the implementation sucks unless you put it in the least sensitive mode.
It is not a self driving car, which I would not even own, but it does seem to work well. It looks like it would help for those moments where a drive could be distracted.

·
Registered
387 Posts
It is not a self driving car, which I would not even own, but it does seem to work well. It looks like it would help for those moments where a drive could be distracted.
Exactly. It's called Lane Keep ASSIST. Hopefully the worst case people who use it as a replacement for safe driving only end up as the Tesla guy and not take anyone else out with them.

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
Hopefully the worst case people who use it as a replacement for safe driving only end up as the Tesla guy and not take anyone else out with them.
That is just wishfull thinking. All of these gadgets, many of which aren't ready for prime time, are going to make many people less attentive and more deadly.

·
Registered
387 Posts
That is just wishfull thinking. All of these gadgets, many of which aren't ready for prime time, are going to make many people less attentive and more deadly.
I agree it will make some people less attentive but I think it's because you can't fix stupid and people will use it as it's not intended. As an assist to drivers (as it is supposed to be) it is ready for prime time. It's not perfect but it is more than serviceable in its intended role.
All that being said, if there was a sunroof, power rear window, better amp/speaker, LED headlight, parking sensor version without springing for the E I'd have bought that instead. I could live without the heated steering wheel and memory seats as well.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Not a good idea, it was not designed for that. What is does do a good job of is to keep one centered in the lane with less effort. Note the assist in the name. It is not, as others have said, a self driving car. Basically you do the gross steering, it does the minor corrections (fine tuning, if you will). For that reason, it is not great on curvy roads or roads with poor or intermittent lane markings. Use selectively (like all of these features).

I keep harping on this but folks need to know when these features are to be used and when they are not. As I have said elsewhere, these are assistants and you manage them. They require knowledge as to how they work and some attention to what they are doing. It is a whole different way of driving that you need to learn. I suspect that most of the folks that do not like these systems are either:

1) Old-school drivers that are not willing to work with these systems.
2) Drivers that expect the systems to do more than the are cabable of.
3) Drivers that do not want to take the time to learn how to use the systems to best advantage.

·
Registered
45 Posts
After 300 miles, I've decided I like the LKAS alerts but would rather not have it steer/assist for me unless I am on a freeway/interstate. When I am driving on 55mph single lane state routes, it tends to drive closer to the median than I am comfortable with, especially with the inattentive and/or incompetent drivers I observe in oncoming traffic. With the lane departure alerts, it keeps my attention on the road because I usually find that it will trigger whenever I start trying to do something else or get distracted.

nizz

·
Registered
547 Posts
With over 1500 miles on my 'E' I can say the lane assist works and works well, I can see why some people would prefer it off because if you sway over the line going down the highway it will let you know- but isn't that the point.

I love all the new tech they put on cars and trucks, I've had no issues with any of it. But like cell phones people will fight it , right up until they own it themselves ....

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
I have a long commute and I find with the lane assist and the ACC I can jump through the back window and lay down in the bed for a good 30 minutes before I have to take a turn. <smart ass smiley inserted here>
so THATS how you drive all night! :grin: Noting like a 30 minute nap to keep you awake! :act024:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts