Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried the LKAS ON MY NEW 2020 Ridgeline RTL-E and am wondering if anyone has had the same experience I had. I was traveling in the left lane on a 4 lane divided Highway that had a number of left turn deceleration lanes. The lane did have dashed white lane markers beyond the entry point. Every time I approached the deceleration lane the LKAS would steer into that lane. I had to apply force to the steering wheel to overcome the LKAS. Traveling at 65 mph and having this happen can be dangerous. Has anyone else experienced this? Is it normal? I didn’t try it from the right lane to see if it also happens for right turn deceleration lanes.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I have a 2019 with LKAS and notice the same with right hand exits, I'm guessing because the line goes right to follow the exit the LKAS assumes it's a curve in the road? I did feel the wheel start to turn that way and just directed it other wise, I didn't think it was that hard to correct it and just remember to watch out exits specifically when using it. This can also be avoided by not being in the lane that has the exit. This is my first vehicle with this type of feature so I don't have any comparison so not sure if it's normal for this technology. IMO I wouldn't classify this behavior as dangerous since it's advertised as a driver assist and not a self driving technology. It would be good to hear from someone that has used other ones to see if indeed this is expected from this type of technology. Also grats on the new ride :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a 2019 with LKAS and notice the same with right hand exits, I'm guessing because the line goes right to follow the exit the LKAS assumes it's a curve in the road? I did feel the wheel start to turn that way and just directed it other wise, I didn't think it was that hard to correct it and just remember to watch out exits specifically when using it. This can also be avoided by not being in the lane that has the exit. This is my first vehicle with this type of feature so I don't have any comparison so not sure if it's normal for this technology. IMO I wouldn't classify this behavior as dangerous since it's advertised as a driver assist and not a self driving technology. It would be good to hear from someone that has used other ones to see if indeed this is expected from this type of technology. Also grats on the new ride :)
Thanks for the response. Be interested to see if it happens on other models or brands.

·
Registered
2018 RTL-E
635 Posts
It’s normal. It does it on my 2018 as well. If I’m holding the wheel, I can feel it but it’s easy to override. I happened to have my hands off the wheel once, it was very pronounced as it tried to exit. I just returned a 2020 Lexus loaner this morning. It also has lane assist and did exactly the same thing, trying to exit instead of going straight.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E
87 Posts
It’s normal. It does it on my 2018 as well. If I’m holding the wheel, I can feel it but it’s easy to override. I happened to have my hands off the wheel once, it was very pronounced as it tried to exit. I just returned a 2020 Lexus loaner this morning. It also has lane assist and did exactly the same thing, trying to exit instead of going straight.
My 2020 hasn‘t done that yet, but I haven’t used the LKAS much until this week, when I used it for a trip on I-75 from Knoxville to Macon,Ga. This is my first vehicle with any type of driver assist, and I like it. It just made the drive easier. Zroger had commented about some excessive movement in the lane at times, and I did experience that a couple of times, but it wasn’t much. The lighter touch on the wheel is nice when the cabin is cool and quiet, you’re in a comfortable seat, and some good music on the stereo.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Normal ops, LKAS is definitely more a middle of the highway cruising feature rather than an independent lane follower. I've been in the rightmost lane and had it tug right, as if asking if that's where I wanted to go, but I gently kept it straight and it corrected itself past the off ramp

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E
87 Posts
I agree Coming back today, the LKAS worked better in the center lane as opposed to either leftmost or rightmost lanes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts