Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2017 RTL-E Obsidian Blue Pearl
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months ago, I bought a '17 RTL-E with 42K miles and I recently noticed these large, uneven gaps on the edges of the tailgate.
pixlr_20191215013108760.jpg
I've never noticed it before, and I really don't think these gaps are supposed to be this big. Are they supposed to be like this?

·
Registered
2017 RTL-E Obsidian Blue Pearl
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I searched pictures of the back of Ridgelines to see if I could find an answer to my question before posting, but I couldn't find any with a good pic of this section

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,900 Posts
FWIW ...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Welcome to the honda club. Have You see the gaps on some of their coupe hatch back models? Poor craftsman ship and living off the success of the late 90s

·
Registered
578 Posts
I think what's more important than the size of the gaps is are they getting wider?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
A few months ago, I bought a '17 RTL-E with 42K miles and I recently noticed these large, uneven gaps on the edges of the tailgate.I've never noticed it before, and I really don't think these gaps are supposed to be this big. Are they supposed to be like this?
The question that is just begging to be asked, were these gaps creating any problems during those months you had not noticed them? :devilish:

The gap on the hinge side of our tailgate is larger than the gap on the latch side, but until you mentioned it we had not noticed, so I don't think we will start worrying about it now. ;)

Bill

·
Premium Member
1,955 Posts
I think it may warrant a visit to the dealer to view other Ridgelines and to have a Service Advisor (or whatever they are calling them now, ie; Vehicle Maintenance Consultant & Expeditor or Annoying Upseller?) take a look at it.

·
Registered
600 Posts
A quick measurement from the length at the bottom and top of the tailgate opening will show any discrepancies.
Just checked out my new 19 Ridgeline and the tailgate should be parallel with the body until the top black trim tapers inwards on both sides.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Yeah, the gaps on mine are bigger. And on your truck, it's doesn't look like they're bigger on top
Sorry, the pic I posted was cropped from another 'whole rear view' I had handy so it doesn't show quite as much detail as a separate 'straight on' shot of each gap would.

Mine is definitely wider on the left than right, edit> but the gaps are even / parallel as shown below.

FWIW I did compare all body gaps among ~a dozen RLs of all trims while shopping, some maybe slightly better than mine overall, some worse. I'll also offer than none of the RL tailgate gaps I observed were as 'tight' as the drop-only tailgates on competitor's or on my '05 F150.

More FWIW, now at 4200 miles / 8 months I've not had any functional issues with my tailgate, swing or drop (yet - knocking on wood).

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
These areas marked should be parallel
OK, just went out and measured (tape, not micrometer / caliper ;) ) ….. mine passes the 'parallel test' with gaps as indicated:

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Was the carfax clean? The tailgate is noticeably higher when looking at the horizontal crease. That's probably part of the problem. On mine, I can never get the tonneau aligned perfectly because I assume the bed box isn't a perfect square.

·
Registered
24 Posts
A few months ago, I bought a '17 RTL-E with 42K miles and I recently noticed these large, uneven gaps on the edges of the tailgate.I've never noticed it before, and I really don't think these gaps are supposed to be this big. Are they supposed to be like this?
Do you know were yours was manufactured? I heard that you should buy used according to where it was put together at. Just what I heard.

·
Super Moderator
5,340 Posts
Do you know were yours was manufactured? I heard that you should buy used according to where it was put together at. Just what I heard.
The Honda Ridgeline has been built exclusively in Alabama since 2009. Prior to that they were built in Canada. Build quality was superior in Canada according to some.

Reactions: Taterhawk62

·
Registered
2018 RTL-E
632 Posts
I just checked the gaps on mine. The right side gap is even, top to bottom. The left side gap varies slightly, it’s slightly wider at the top and the left gap is slightly more than the right side. The gaps are all so close that if I wasn’t measuring them, I wouldn’t have known that they were unmatched. Mine look good to me.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts