Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,

I have been trying to find out info regarding canopies for our cool new trucks. Thanks to prior postings I knew who to start asking.

Today I got a responce from Leer. I've pasted the body of the email I received a minute ago next:

"Mike the LEER Model 100XQ cap for the Ridgeline will be installed and shown at the upcoming SEMA Show at the beginning of November in Las Vegas. Pending the input of LEER Distributors, it will be in production soon after that. It will include the option of keyless remote wired to your factory original keyfob. We will announce the release to LEER Distributors via FAX and email. You may want to tell them of your interest and have them call you to order when they get notice of the release."

So, now you all know what I know. If you need a test dummy for their new product, stay tuned. I'll buy it the first day it's offered locally and keep you posted.

My dogs want to go with, but the impending bad weather keeps them home. Yeah, yeah, "Why don't you put them inside?".....you don't understand what I'm facing. HAHA

The oldest at 18 months is now offically the "little one" at 105#. Bubba, the "baby" at 7 1/2 months just weighed in at 118#. Harley is big enough, but Bubba's a tank.

Once you have Great Danes it's hard to "downsize". It's like, "Hey. Look at those people and their pet. It looks just like a dog! Only smaller!" LOL

:D

·
Registered
361 Posts
Mike,

I would like to know how easy it would be to install/ uninstall the leer canopy. It would be nice to remove the canopy in case you need to haul some dirt.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK. I'll take some pics of it once it's installed so you can see if it's a huge deal to get it on and off. My bet is they clamp it on rather than deal with getting throught the plastic rail cap and who knows what angle of surface below. Or at least they would use some type of bracket to mount to the tie down bolts or something.

It'll be a couple, three months before then, but I'll do it when it's installed.

For me personally, I kept my full size truck for the "dirty" and really heavy work. The Ridge is my everyday "office" as a Builder. Me, my cell phone, lots of blueprints, service call tools and the pups. Perfect.

I can pick up a house worth of light fixtures during the day, then clean out the plans and stuff out of the back seat area, fold them down and go out to dinner at a nice place without skipping a beat. Tuff to do in a full size truck with a lumber rack and toolboxes! It's the perfect vehicle for me.

Kinda like a four wheel drive, five passenger El Camino! HAHA Only it looks a heck of alot nicer than some of those did. With a lot more creture comforts ta boot!:)

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
The El Camino was one of the coolest vehicles ever created, as was the Ford Ranchero.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Cool? The '59 El Camino, like all the '59 Chevies was an exercise in styling best forgotten. Or maybe remembered as the first production car with a functional wing, even if it was unintentional on Chevrolet's part. The problem was it created lift on the rear rather than downforce. I remember watching my father's '59 sitting outside in a wind storm with the rear end rising and falling in the wind. :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree with Shovelhead. I have been a big fan of them, except for that short period of time when you could have a picnic on the front bumpers.

When they went small sized, I grew to really like the look. I've also really started to like the big wing ones again that Webwader spoke of.

Chevy is doing the retro thing a lot these days. Wouldn't it be cool if they did an El Camino again?:cool:

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Back to Leer, I'll be buying one soon as it's available and plan to get the compression boot with no front window and the auto-lock. What I'm really curious about is how they tie in power to the lock. I assume it's like the tail-gate lock where you tap into to the door lock wires. I also wonder how they wire it to the lock since I assume it's mounted where the lock is on the rear window of the shell without having a bunch of wires hanging around. Perhaps they have some contact connectors on the side of the window which make contact when it's closed. At any rate we'll find out I guess. I intend to do the wiring myself, don't want those installers ripping into my truck specially since they've probably never touched a Ridge before. I intend to wire from the door lock wires that are supplied to the trunk. Doesn't look easy but I'm sure I can find a way.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Do you have any pictures or other info on this cap? How are they planning on tying it into the front/cab area? I would assume there would be no "front" to the cap, rather just a large open space where the rear window would open directly to the bed, like now, but under the cover of the cap. This would obviously have to be waterproof to the rear of the truck where the bed starts.

I am very curious and interested! Have they discussed price yet?

Cheers,
George

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I cut and pasted the actual email I got from Leer, so like I was saying, you know what I know.

It indicates the model number, which was a relief to me, as I wanted a canopy that was flush to the cab, rather than a (probably more practical) canopy that steps up. But Hey! Looking cool counts for something, right? HAHA

Leer's website is pretty good if you want to look at details and styles.

No word on price that I have heard. But they are not going to go crazy and cut all the sales on a canopy that will not be mass produced like something for an F150 by pricing it through the roof. It'll be right in there with all the others I'd imagine. What the market will bear right?

·
Registered
186 Posts
I contacted A.R.E. to determine if they have plans for a canopy/cap for the Ridgline (I have an A.R.E. on a Ford Ranger, and it has been an excellent product). Here is the reply I received from them:

"Yes, we are planning to release a cap around the beginning of the year
for the Ridgeline.

Thank you,
Heather Law
A.R.E.
Marketing Assistant"

I have asked them to put me on their new-product announcement e-mail list. Will let you know when/if I hear more. Looks like the Leer canopy will be on the market before the A.R.E. version.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts