Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my week old ridgeline through a car wash for the first time and noticed water coming through the moonroof seal. It wasn't a lot but it was coming through. Is this normal under the high pressure of a car wash or should I be taking my truck back to the dealership to fix?

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Not normal.

·
Registered
536 Posts
When I went through a touchless car wash it blasted the front license plate and the holder right off the bumper!

I noticed it when I got home and was able to go back to get the license plate

The screws into the plastic bumper don't seem long enough.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
My Dealer has a new gasket on order at this time after the 2nd service visit...Same Reason, it leaked and had an air noise over 20 MPH.
FYI - DO NOT let them tell you they have a service memo that they can fix it by putting oil on the gasket...It does not work, it just collects dirt and smells!
Make them replace the gasket!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks ... i called the dealer today and asked them if I did bring it in, if they had to order a new seal or if they already had one in stock. He told me that they can't order just the seal and that the whole window needed to be replaced.
Doesn't seem to make sense to me that if you have a bad seal you have to replace the whole window.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Brought my ridgeline in today to have looked at. They seen the leak, tried adjusting the sunroof/seal for 2 hours and then told me that couldn't do anything more. They said it still leaked some but that was normal.
I gave them a blank stare and then asked them if they expected me to accept that and walk off?
They said I could talk to the service manager if I wanted and I said yes.
The service manager then proceeded to tell me the same thing - that it's normal for some water to get past the seal and fall into a rim around the roof and drain out. I said yes, that I understood that and that makes sense but not for water to squirt through or drip through and he told me that yes it was under high pressure or a heavy rain.
I said I never heard of anything like that before and he reluctantly said he would order a new roof if i wanted but that I would have the same results.
I told him to order a new roof and we'll find out.
Has anyone else had this problem with their moonroof?
This can't be normal as the service manager says.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Moon roofs have been around for many years. If a car lets in water any where at any time, short of a flood or hurricane, something is not right.

·
Registered
167 Posts
What a crock! Leaking isn't normal--tell them to get off their a$$es and fix it. Maybe they need to check the drain holes--possibly plugged.

·
Registered
70 Posts
wonderin_y said:
Thanks ... i called the dealer today and asked them if I did bring it in, if they had to order a new seal or if they already had one in stock. He told me that they can't order just the seal and that the whole window needed to be replaced.
Doesn't seem to make sense to me that if you have a bad seal you have to replace the whole window.

I had a faulty gasket causing a leak in the cabin and they told me they had to replace the gasket and windshield. I asked te same thing about why the windshield needs to be replaced. They said that they had to break the windshield in the process of removing the gasket.

·
Registered
362 Posts
GET A SECOND OPINION !!! Go to another dealer ..Geez !! See if that dealer can fix it and then you can go back to the first dealership and tell them they Suck !! :eek:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll update here in another week or 2 when they replace it with a new one and let you all know the results.
The next closest honda dealer is about 50 miles away and the one after that is a couple of hundred miles.
I have a feeling the other dealership is simliar in attitude. When I was shopping for my ridgeline, I emailed them for a quote and their reply was them asking me if i was wasting their time because I did not live in their city!
My attitude now is that Honda dealerships in smaller cities where there is no competition, just don't care. They know the autos sell themselves and the local residents really don't have much choice as to where they buy.

·
Premium Member
7,332 Posts
I'll say this much about it... the car wash I go to uses extremely high pressure to rinse. So high that it physically rocks the vehicle back and forth!

Both my MDX and Ridgeline leak a very little bit in that car wash. I'll feel maybe little speck or two hit me on the shoulder, but not what I'd call a drop of water. Just a little bit, but enough to know the water got thru. Sometimes I'll even feel a little get by the drivers door window!

The MDX has never leaked during even the hardest rains and I wouldn't take it back to the dealer for this problem. The Ridgeline is new, but I expect it will be the same as the MDX in that regard.

I've never been any other car wash that had such high pressure. If yours is like this I don't think you could expect a car to not leak a little.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When I took the truck to the dealer, their car wash was broke down so they were up there using a garden hose with a spray nozzle and it was coming through with that so I don't think it's a case of too high of water pressure.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I would write a letter to Honda, that is such BS!!!
I would also ask to be compensated for my grief!
Of course my moonroof does not have any leaks.
Hope you get this fixed soon.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think my honda dealership is a pain in the @ss.
When I was last in, they told me it would take 3-4 days to get the new moonroof in and they would contact me to make an appt to replace it.
I didn't hear anything for about 10 days or so, so I finally call them and ask them if it's in and they said yeah. I asked how long it's been in and they said about 7 days ago. I asked why I wasn't notified and he didn't know why I wasn't.
Anyway, I make an appt and take it in. After about an hour, they ask me to come back to the garage and talk to the mechanic who now has my headliner half off and some other parts around the passenger door with the floor mat full of water.
He tells me he was testing the seal after installing the new window and after a while he noticed water coming out of the passenger grab handle. He says he thinks the drain tube is partially clogged or blocked causing the water to shoot over the track and he was going to have to call honda to see what to do since the drain tube was inaccessible being behind the framing.
I get a call later that day and they tell me it was their mistake and that there really wasn't a problem with the drain and that he shouldn't have been holding the hose directly on the seal since that isn't a 'real' test and causes any moonroof to overflow and that now everything is fine. He said they took it through their car wash and it didn't leak at all.
I took it home and waited a few days to run it through the car wash again and sure enough, I got the same spitting action in the same area as before.
I also noticed that there was a couple of nicks in the seal around the window that looked exactly like my old window. So now I'm thinking that they didn't even replace the window and put the old one back in.
This is the first auto I've had with a sunroof so I'm not sure if they are suppose to have any kind of leak going through a car wash. It's not a lot of water - just some little spitting action but it doesn't seem right that it should let any water through.
I can't go back to this dealership cause they're not going to do anything more. They already told me it was 'normal'. They said the track that drains any water that does get through is not draining fast enough and so the pressure of the car wash is splashing the water in the track into the truck.
Does anybody else see water coming through theirs at all when taking it through a car wash? It happens in the back of the window.
Seems strange that if this is normal that I'm the only one who has the problem. This car wash I take it to is not any different from the avg. car wash as far as pressure.
I need some advice

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
My moonroof doesn't leak at all. Nothing. Your dealer is a moron. I'd get Honda involved asap.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Definitely call Honda customer support, you are likely going to need more then your moonroof replaced now that they drenched the inside of your truck. I have never seen a moonroof leak under normal operations, and in the car I traded in which had a moonroof which is one of the largest in the market, I never had a single drop get through. In fact I have had pounds of water trapped on my moonroof in the winter and even then never seen a single drop come through. The only time I have ever had water inside my moonroof is condensation. I have used a pressure washer strong enough to get water to come around my side window seals and the moonroof didn't allow a single drop in.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update:
Called Honda and the first person I talked to said it wasn't normal for ANY water to get through and would have a rep call me.
The rep calls and says she already talked to the service manager where I took my truck and that what's happening is 'normal' (again with the normal).
I asked her how getting water inside the cab through the moonroof was 'normal' and she agreed that it didn't make sense but that was what the service manager told her and what the honda techs said.
We all seem to be in agreement that the water is filling up in the drain tube faster than it can drain and is causing water to get through.
I asked if Honda designed it that way so water would get through and into the cab and she said she didn't think so. So than it must be a defect I said and she tended to agree even though she's being told by others it's 'normal'.
She asks if I want her to look into it further and I told her yes.
Still waiting ....
BTW, also noticed a nice 3" x 1" grease mark along the headliner where the mechanic left his calling card.
Must say I've always thought honda made quality autos but between the problems I'm having with Honda and the dealership I wished I would have gone with something else.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Get your ticket number and escalate it immediately. Don't waste your time with useless CSR's that just talk to the same people you did.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts