Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
You realize I started this thread 2 years ago, right? The code changes from time to time. You can friend V-LEDS on facebook and they offer codes regularly.

Dan

Bed Bath & Beyond coupons NEVER expire...................although I can't buy LED's from there. Was about to order my LED start-up kit until the wife's 2003 corolla one-upped me and needed a weekend radiator flush/fill, new spark plugs, brakes and suspension parts......FML.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Damn, that's spendy. I bought sets from ebay for around $50-$60 it may be a little dimmer than those ones but to me it's extra bright compared to the factory ones and I wouldn't don't it if the were just as bright. Works great and saved a ton.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Damn, that's spendy. I bought sets from ebay for around $50-$60 it may be a little dimmer than those ones but to me it's extra bright compared to the factory ones and I wouldn't don't it if the were just as bright. Works great and saved a ton.
I originally bought some eBay specials for my RL. They were too dim and didn't last very long. After that I researched and found V-LEDS.com. Their bulbs are so much brighter and more reliable than the eBay bulbs. My only regret is that I wasted my money on the original cheap set. You do get what you pay for. V-LEDS also backs up their bulbs and replaces defectives for a full year.

Dan

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I know this forum is a bit old but I need some help with this and was hoping someone might have some insight!

I did the standard bulb replacement on my 08 ridgeline with the proper bulbs off of Ebay. I plugged them in and nothing. So I flipped them around until I got things working semi correctly. The brake lights work fine but there are no running lights at all. While the running lights are on the plastic part of the bulb which makes up the connector gets pretty hot, but no light ever comes out.

I tested the bulbs and both the parking light and brake light work individually. So if I connect one or the other independently they work fine, but once both are connected they stop working.

If this all wasn't confusing enough one of the times I was convinced it was the metal connector inside the plug housing, I was holding the bulb in the housing with a lot of force and bam they both started working. Release the high pressure and it stopped. Of course I can't get it to reproduce this anymore, and I have taken apart the housing and verified everything is connecting to the bulbs correctly.

I am going crazy here any ideas? The seller keeps telling me I may need a "resistor" to make it function properly, but I htough that was only for the turns signal flasher problem?

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
So I know this forum is a bit old but I need some help with this and was hoping someone might have some insight!

I did the standard bulb replacement on my 08 ridgeline with the proper bulbs off of Ebay. I plugged them in and nothing. So I flipped them around until I got things working semi correctly. The brake lights work fine but there are no running lights at all. While the running lights are on the plastic part of the bulb which makes up the connector gets pretty hot, but no light ever comes out.

I tested the bulbs and both the parking light and brake light work individually. So if I connect one or the other independently they work fine, but once both are connected they stop working.

If this all wasn't confusing enough one of the times I was convinced it was the metal connector inside the plug housing, I was holding the bulb in the housing with a lot of force and bam they both started working. Release the high pressure and it stopped. Of course I can't get it to reproduce this anymore, and I have taken apart the housing and verified everything is connecting to the bulbs correctly.

I am going crazy here any ideas? The seller keeps telling me I may need a "resistor" to make it function properly, but I htough that was only for the turns signal flasher problem?
It sounds like you just got poorly engineered/manufactured bulbs. I bought all my bulbs from v-leds.com and they work perfectly and their customer support is excellent. You definitely DO NOT need resistors for brakelights or running lights. You can usually find a discount code for v-leds on facebook. Good luck.

Dan

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just tried to change out my cargo lights and whatever piece was holding the screw in broke. Do you guys have any ideas on how I should fix this?

·
Registered
179 Posts
I'm taking a guess, but likely the retaining clip that the screw drives into fell off the backside and down into the panel somewhere - I had this happen to me on one of my upper cargo lights. I had some spares from some other vehicle around and just simply replaced it. If you don't have anything similar on hand, you can check out a local automotive store and ask for "U" Steel Spring Nuts and they should have something on hand that should fit.

Cheers,
Tom

·
Registered
6 Posts
That is exactly it Tom thanks. Now I need to figure out how to actually get to the bulb on the Cargo Light. I don't know how to open up the case to get to the bulb. I can't find any videos online.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey guys, does anyone have an updated list on all the bulb part #s from vleds needed for the conversion ?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hey Folks,

I am down to my last LED bulb replacement when I stumbled across a problem. The screw holding the aft right bed light will not release. I can hand spin a phillips head screwdriver until my wrist comes off. I can keep turning it with a cordless drill until the battery runs out of juice and that screw simply will not come out. Any suggestions other than break and replace??

·
Registered
179 Posts
Any suggestions other than break and replace??
I've had that before, and found that sometimes if you can get a small pick (like a dental tool) wedged in underneath the screw head and pry it towards you, it can help engage the threads so it can be backed out by the screwdriver.

Might be worth a shot?

Cheers,
Tom

·
Registered
107 Posts
I've had that before, and found that sometimes if you can get a small pick (like a dental tool) wedged in underneath the screw head and pry it towards you, it can help engage the threads so it can be backed out by the screwdriver.

Might be worth a shot?

Cheers,
Tom
Many thanks... might as well give it a shot!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Dan, nice write-up on the installation.... And thanks again for getting sharing the information about the LED’s.

The 2 watt festoons for the map lights is worth the wait... I have them also. They pump out 80 lumens vs the old version that pump out 40 lumens.

I am running the 194_4_HP_W in all the interior lights including the rear dome lights and also in all the bed lights. These pump out an extra 30 lumens over the 194_X5_HP-W. The kicker is that they are also less expensive.

Coming soon are full plug and play turn signals, and a 20 LED brighter backup lights.

*RL's from 2007 to present have two vanity mirrors. *
Double the map light!?! 80 lumen in such a small area is huge, even 30 more for general lighting inside a truck is huge!!! Don't turn them on while you're driving!!!

41 - 55 of 55 Posts