Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2019 RTL awd
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Huge thanks to @Super-Mario and this first thread. Tons of good info that got me started.

I thought this was different enough from the first to justify a new thread. I didn't want this information buried pages deep. MODs feel free to move if needed be.

Many others had problems with non factory light sockets fitting and the color(gloss black) of the factory ridgeline parts. This solves all of that.

I purchased:
Pilot LED cup holder 08E11-TG7-110A
T1 wedge socket T1.75-SW
74 LED bulb. 74.xHP3-CAR

Previously I had also upgraded the console LED VLEDs 74
And completed this console mod

Bernardi was the best price I found shipped. This was my first superbrightleds purchase and it won't be my last. Shipping was $5 and parts arrived in less than 2 days.

The cupholder itself is the same color as my factory RTL piece, no need to wrap, and comes with the LED. It's a slightly different shape and I thought I was going to need to cut it to match. To my suprise the factory rubber piece attaches in all the same spots, and the extra plastic slides right under the USB port. It makes me wonder why they even went to the trouble of making different pieces.

Bumper Technology Audio equipment Electronics Technology Electronic device Everyday carry Vehicle Car Land vehicle Vehicle Car Family car Chevrolet captiva

For the wiring. I used molex female connectors that I squashed a bit with needle nose. I attached them to the factory LED male pins and individually heatshrinked. I tried to locate a factory style connector, and think I might finally have a source, but this was the best I could come up with for now. Thanks to @Itz chucklez and @Pairofkings for the idea.

From here positap connectors would be perfect and quick, but I wanted to be able to make this more plug and play. Using a heat gun I removed the LEDs off that aftermarket 74 bulb. This left me 2 pads to solder wires too. I soldered these wires to the new 74 bulb socket and to the 2 wires with the molex connectors. Basically making a jumper harness that plugs into the factory console bulb spot. Nothing to cut or alter. Here are the parts and the harness being tested.
Cable Wire Technology Wood Electronic device Wire Technology Trunk Electronic device Electrical wiring Light Blue Sky Lighting Technology

Completed and loomed harness was attached to the cupholder with a zip tie. By drilling a small hole in the webbing under the actal cupholder. I was unhappy with how much the factory LED wobbled. This fixed that and secured the harness.

Wire Audio equipment Electronics Technology Cameras & optics Camera

Results look pretty cool during the day and even better at night.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Center console Mid-size car

If anyone isn't comfortable soldering I can make more of these harnesses. If it turns out the connectors I ordered will work with the factory LED socket this will be a true plug and play upgrade. I'll update when they arrive.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Nice work. Where did you get the bulb from for the center console compartment? Also, I’ve been looking at the lack of a proper center console arm rest, and I don’t like the aftermarket captain chair wider folding arm rest because it prevents the driver seat from being lowered. The MDX center console should be a direct fit.

·
Registered
2019 RTL awd
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
$80 shipped when I purchased. But the big difference in price is that this Pilot part # comes with the LED assembly which for some strange reason is a $30-50 ridgeline part by itself.

·
Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
7,031 Posts
Very nicely done, @Lunarmonkey. You seem to have solved the exact problem I was having with the LED bulb being loose in the socket.

·
Registered
2019 RTL
903 Posts
Please can you clarify the jumper/harness you made. I haven't seen the existing harness, so not sure what to expect when I disassemble.

For the wiring. I used molex female connectors that I squashed a bit with needle nose. I attached them to the factory LED male pins.
Which factory LED did you attach your Molex connectors to? The LED for the center console? The LED has no flying leads to attach Molex connectors to.

Using a heat gun I removed the LEDs off that aftermarket 74 bulb. This left me 2 pads to solder wires too. I soldered these wires to the new 74 bulb socket and to the 2 wires with the molex connectors.
Not really following. You removed one of the LEDs from the 74 buib (leaving 2 LEDs and the driver on the 74 "bulb"). Then soldered some wires to it. Which wires?

I don't understand what you are connecting to what :)

·
Registered
2019 RTL awd
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
The new accessory cup holder comes with an LED assembly. Its not permanently attached it clips into the cup holder. Later model pilots have an unused harness and connector that plugs into this LED assembly, making it plug and play. Unfortunately for us ridgeline owners Honda wasnt this nice. The led assembly just has 2 male pins, no wires, so no easy way to connect to it. I couldn't find a connector to match in time, so I just slid the molex pins that I crimped onto some bare wires onto these male pins.

For the 74 LED bulb that I purchased. I removed everything off of it. All I wanted was the part that pluged into the console light socket, so I could attach wires to it. I tried to find an aftermarket harness like the one below but had a really hard time. Here's a few better shots of what I McGuyvered.
Wire Technology Electronic device Cable Electronics accessory Cable Technology Wire Space Asphalt Sky Space Eyewear Wire Cable Electronics Electrical wiring Technology

·
Registered
125 Posts
There’s photos of mine as well in the original post for this. Although not as neat but same concept.

·
Registered
2019 RTL awd
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the pics @Itz chucklez. I didnt snap any close ups of the LED assembly. I still cant believe honda wants $50+ for that single piece. But unbelievablely they include it with the entire cupholder assembly as an accessory for $70.

Text Line art Auto part Diagram Font

·
Registered
125 Posts
Thanks for the pics @Itz chucklez. I didnt snap any close ups of the LED assembly. I still cant believe honda wants $50+ for that single piece. But unbelievablely they include it with the entire cupholder assembly as an accessory for $70.

View attachment 405437
I would have definitely gone the same route as you had you done this first and avoided myself the wrapping. I guess the ridgeline part got expensive from people doing the mod super Mario posted.

·
Registered
2019 RTL
903 Posts
I tried to locate a factory style connector, and think I might finally have a source, but this was the best I could come up with for now. ... If it turns out the connectors I ordered will work with the factory LED socket this will be a true plug and play upgrade. I'll update when they arrive.
Just wondered if you managed to track down a suitable connector. I have my cup holder now, but need to order a connector or pins.

·
Registered
2019 RTL awd
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I still have not been able to find a connector. It turns out the ones that I ordered fit the LEDs in the doors. Unfortunately this is a different smaller size than the cupholder LED. Why honda? Why so many proprietary connectors? I think the best route is getting some generic male pins and covering them in shrink tubing.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Look like the pilot cup holder part only has one color? My interior is gray so I'm out of luck. The ridgeline part sell for $110 without led. That's a rip off.

·
Registered
2019 RTL
903 Posts
My interior is grey and P/N 08E11-TG7-110A is a perfect match. Simple change.

I used a Positap to tap into the center console LED lead (switched 12V) and attached the ground to the exposed metal (just need to add a nut and bolt to an existing hole).

I also fabricated a connector that mates with the new Pilot LED connector using a standard 2.5mm pitch 2-pin connector - just had to trim the connector down a little with a knife (cut the "wings" and a lip off) and then pin friction holds in place.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts