Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
2009 RT
Discussion Starter #1
So like others I tried and to install leds in the drl and only one would work so bought the ijdmtoy converter harness and that didn't work so great, still had the drl light on the dash and didn't like the idea of wasting all the electricity into the resistor and create a bunch of heat. So this is what I did. Had to cut some wires and run some new ones so each light got 12v power signal and a ground. I also powered a cell phone 5v/2a cigarette lighter usb adapter with the same 12v signal and ground. So all in parallel, 2 lights and the adapter fed the same 12v power source and ground. Isolating the blue/black wire and giving it the +5v signal wire from the USB is all the dash needs to not have the drl light to come on, on the dash. Hope this helps somebody! 馃槈

Attachments

Super Moderator
Wow, you overcame the challenge presented. Good work, @leanburnin!

Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
So what bulb (specs please) are you running for the DRLs?
These DRL bulbs are essentially a 55W units that are powered on by lower voltage, thus lower lumen output. I truly hope this is not one of the many running around with 55w equivalent bright bulbs in their DRL housing which are not designed to illuminate anything in front, but to provide a DRL function.
Good thinking and I am curious.

Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
The point was not about illumination on the road, but about other drivers around you who would have to see this glaring bright light as they are stuck infront of you or coming towards you. These DRL reflector bowls scatter light short and wide in all directions and brighter bulbs are an unsafe distraction, just like an unfocused HID in a reflector bowl housing; similar to those ill fitting fog light bulbs. The output seems rather bright in bright sunlight, I can only imagine how bright it is during dusk and dawn.

Please ensure that your modifications are not unsafe to you and other motorists. A simple bulb change can be a huge distraction and impairment to other motorists. Regardless, good thinking on finding a solution to send a signal back to the gauge.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts