Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried the new LED Headlights? Are they worth the money? Do you have a brand you recommend?

Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
Has anyone tried the new LED Headlights? Are they worth the money? Do you have a brand you recommend?
I am going to bust your chops as you deserve it. First post and this is what you ask? Did you try the search? Did you research on the web? How much were you planning on spending?

That is what I recommend. There are plenty of threads here talking about the same thing you ask, and probably might ask. So please, use the search on the top right corner and educate yourself.

Welcome to the ROC, btw.

Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
I am going to bust your chops as you deserve it. First post and this is what you ask? Did you try the search? Did you research on the web? How much were you planning on spending?

That is what I recommend. There are plenty of threads here talking about the same thing you ask, and probably might ask. So please, use the search on the top right corner and educate yourself.

Welcome to the ROC, btw.
EXACTLY What I thought when I saw this yesterday. We have Site Sponsor's with multiple threads, @Diode Dynamics Diode Dynamics/ and @Xenon Depot; Xenon Depot

Never mind just type LED into the Search box LED Search.JPG or try the "Search this Forum" Search.JPG

And Yea, @agb1954 Welcome to the ROC

Registered
I installed the Phillips HID Low beam headlights and failed the Virginia State Vehicle Inspection. I had to come home, take out the HID Bulbs and reconnect the stock lousy bulbs that came with my 2017 RTL-T. I do not plan to do that every year before the state inspection. The access is not that simple for someone with large hands. I am looking into the best LEDs I can find for my truck.

Nice way to welcome a new member is to attack him. A friendly reminder to use the search at the top right corner of the opening page.

Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
As you may know, there are no DOT legal HID kits and what you have is a kit that uses Philips bulbs. You would have passed if you actually bought the Philips LED bulbs that are DOT approved. Should have read the disclaimer on the kit when you made the HID purchase. Yet again, it all depends on the inspector. With NJ being as strict as VA and MD, I have a projector retrofit with TRS equipment, passed inspection with no problem. Oh yeah, I had my Lightbar up in the front when at it. I have also been failed (not with the Ridgeline) for having green corner bulbs (dont ask me what possessed me to do that).

Registered
You may also have issues going with an LED conversion kit as well - while enforcement of regulations may vary a bit depending on where you live (and often, more importantly, on how flashy/noticeable your upgraded lights are...), generally speaking...if your vehicle came with halogens from the factory, then that is what it will be mandated to have. Neither HID nor LED conversion kits are typically DOT-compliant. You may find DOT-compliant replacement LED bulbs, perhaps, but if legality is your concern you may want to look into some more powerful halogen bulbs. Sure, the performance increase is not anywhere near as good as an HID or LED upgrade, but you maintain your street-legal status.

~Robert

Registered

Welcome to the ROC, btw.
It鈥檚 not like the search function here is ideal. Why make it an issue?

Premium Member
2020 Black Edition
Just installed in my 2020 BE....

LED lights.jpg

Did the easy side to see what the difference is.
Will try on a dark road tonight and update tomorrow.

Premium Member
2020 Black Edition
Just installed in my 2020 BE....

Did the easy side to see what the difference is.
Will try on a dark road tonight and update tomorrow.
Test drove this AM early. Didn't notice that much of a difference to be honest. I did notice that the left turn signal popped on once when I went to high beams and the brake light and brakes came on for a sec when I was slowing down to stop... and it wasn't me! For $60 on these LEDS I think I'll stick with the stock bulbs both front and rear. I'm sure the engineers must have had a reason for not using the LEDS (not just $$$ for a top of the line model). I love to update stuff but just hate to induce a bunch of ghost issues for something that has little to no benefit.

Registered
Test drove this AM early. Didn't notice that much of a difference to be honest.
I wonder what stock bulbs your 2020 had. In my 2019 the difference between the stock halogen high beams and the LED high beams was substantial. I tested them down my alley and I could easily see the entire alley way with the LED bulbs but was straining to see much toward the end of the alley with the halogens. Distance of the alley is about 700-750ft. Huge difference for me, probably at least twice as much light judging by eye, which admittedly isn't very accurate.

Premium Member
2020 Black Edition
Glad they work for you. Stock are Sylvania 12v 60W 9005 HB3. Have you noticed any random or unusual effects like mine above?

Premium Member
2020 Black Edition
Also I did just do the one side. I'll try both to be sure and see if my issues hopefully disappear and not continue or worsen. Maybe they were flukes and perhaps I'll see more of a difference then.

Registered
I haven't seen any weirdness, and I'm not sure if I would have noticed if the brake lights came on randomly by themselves. I don't know how I would have seen that unless there was something behind me to reflect the light and I caught it in the mirror or something. I'm also not sure how that would be related to the headlights if it did happen. I would think those lights would be on different circuits.

I'm pretty sure I have accidentally activated the turn signals or brights before when I didn't intend to. I don't think it's happened more than 2-3 times in however many years I've driven, but I know I've done it.

Premium Member
2020 Black Edition
I could have done the same on the turn signal but was on a long straight away. On the brake I felt the truck slow and got a bright BRAKE light on the dash so unsure on that one. Hopefully just a fluke on both.

Registered
I could have done the same on the turn signal but was on a long straight away. On the brake I felt the truck slow and got a bright BRAKE light on the dash so unsure on that one. Hopefully just a fluke on both.
Ahh, I thought you meant the brake lights in the back, not the dash. That is the nannies alerting you to something they think they saw you needed to brake for. I don't have any of that on my truck, but others have reported some false alerts, so that could have been a one off thing or something else. I'd just try to note what was going on if that happens again and see if it matches up with any of the scenarios that have been reported in other threads or if not it may indicate a problem.

Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
I'm not too experienced with the G2, but I do know that using the wrong type of LED's on my G1 caused all sorts of strange issues. I put a set of cheapo LED taillight bulbs in and the 3rd brake light stayed on constantly along with getting strange action on the turn signals. I put the stock bulbs back in for awhile. Later, I bought better LED bulbs that had much more advanced circuitry. They worked flawlessly. If you have one LED and one halogen in your headlight bulbs, the electrical system will throw fault codes due to the imbalance of resistance. Put the other LED bulb in to see if that helps.

Not all LED bulbs perform the same way in headlight housings. Some well outperform stock halogen bulbs and other are actually worse. One LED bulb that performs really well in a reflector housing will not perform well in a projector housing and vice versa. It's very important to do your research before choosing which may be good for you. Any cheapo LED on eBay or Amazon probably isn't going to fair very well, but there are a few $40-50 sets which do perform well. The set I chose (Beamtech) do perform fairly well - they're certainly much brighter than stock bulbs. But, the cutoff isn't as pronounced and they just don't have a solid pattern. They'll do for now, though. Had I done a little more research first, I could have spent about $15 more and had a set proven to perform much better in reflector housings.

Registered
I'm not too experienced with the G2, but I do know that using the wrong type of LED's on my G1 caused all sorts of strange issues. I put a set of cheapo LED taillight bulbs in and the 3rd brake light stayed on constantly along with getting strange action on the turn signals. I put the stock bulbs back in for awhile. Later, I bought better LED bulbs that had much more advanced circuitry. They worked flawlessly. If you have one LED and one halogen in your headlight bulbs, the electrical system will throw fault codes due to the imbalance of resistance. Put the other LED bulb in to see if that helps.

Not all LED bulbs perform the same way in headlight housings. Some well outperform stock halogen bulbs and other are actually worse. One LED bulb that performs really well in a reflector housing will not perform well in a projector housing and vice versa. It's very important to do your research before choosing which may be good for you. Any cheapo LED on eBay or Amazon probably isn't going to fair very well, but there are a few $40-50 sets which do perform well. The set I chose (Beamtech) do perform fairly well - they're certainly much brighter than stock bulbs. But, the cutoff isn't as pronounced and they just don't have a solid pattern. They'll do for now, though. Had I done a little more research first, I could have spent about $15 more and had a set proven to perform much better in reflector housings.
Great info - thanks. Did you by chance identify any particular product that will perform better in reflector housings? I assume G2s have reflector housings, right?

Registered
I have the Auxito linked above and they have performed well for both my high and low beam in my 2019 RTL. I think they are about $5 more now than when I bought them even after the current coupon, but so far they seem solid and quite bright so I would be happy even if I spent an extra $5 a set.

Registered
I have the Auxito linked above and they have performed well for both my high and low beam in my 2019 RTL. I think they are about $5 more now than when I bought them even after the current coupon, but so far they seem solid and quite bright so I would be happy even if I spent an extra $5 a set.
Thank you. I know I can "look it up", but were they difficult to install? Haven't looked to see how hard or easy mine are to get to, but if it's complex I can "punt" and have someone install, lol.

Thought replacing w/LED required an additional electronic component, but the linked site says the unit contains a cooling fan and that they plug right in.

Registered
Passenger side: Pull engine cover off, unplug harness, twist bulb out - Install new kit
Driver side: Pull engine cover off, remove 2 Philips screws holding air intake tube, twist/pull tube out of the way, unplug harness, twist bulb out- Install new kit

1 - 20 of 31 Posts