Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
9,953 Posts
This website has been extremely helpful for me to figure out which bulbs are the best in the different housings depending on the budget you have to spend: BulbFacts | Aftermarket LED Kits Chart - Comparing to Halogen in Reflector Headlights & Foglights

As you can see, The Nineo and Techmax LED bulbs seems to offer the best performance in the budget category for reflector housings found in the G1. Had I seen this chart before I made my purchase of the Beamtech bulbs, I would have gone with the Nineo. As far as projector housings found in the G2, the Katana bulbs would be by far the best choice. I have them in my Amazon cart for when my wife's Highlander needs new bulbs. The Highlander has a separate low and high beam bulb - low beams are projector and high beams are reflector. I put a set of new old stock Silverstars in the high beams for now, but I'm not expecting them to last much longer than a year or two.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Passenger side: Pull engine cover off, unplug harness, twist bulb out - Install new kit
Driver side: Pull engine cover off, remove 2 Philips screws holding air intake tube, twist/pull tube out of the way, unplug harness, twist bulb out- Install new kit
Thanks!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Thank you. I know I can "look it up", but were they difficult to install? Haven't looked to see how hard or easy mine are to get to, but if it's complex I can "punt" and have someone install, lol.

Thought replacing w/LED required an additional electronic component, but the linked site says the unit contains a cooling fan and that they plug right in.
They are a bit more difficult than they should be probably. The gaskets on the Auxitos are slightly different than the original halogens and it helped quite a bit to put a small amount of dielectric grease on them to get them to turn easier. Other than that, it's about the same as putting in any other bulb with the addition of tie wrapping the driver box so it doesn't flop around. That box has all the electronics built in and I have not had any issues with how they operate.

As 17sport mentioned you will need to remove the intake tube to get to the driver side bulbs, but that's an easy thing to do.

·
Registered
760 Posts
They are a bit more difficult than they should be probably. The gaskets on the Auxitos are slightly different than the original halogens and it helped quite a bit to put a small amount of dielectric grease on them to get them to turn easier. Other than that, it's about the same as putting in any other bulb with the addition of tie wrapping the driver box so it doesn't flop around. That box has all the electronics built in and I have not had any issues with how they operate.

As 17sport mentioned you will need to remove the intake tube to get to the driver side bulbs, but that's an easy thing to do.
Thanks - those details are helpful. Otherwise I can see myself thinking "what about this little box?", etc. What did you wrap it with, tape? And the dielectric grease is something I wouldn't have thought of.

Intake tube removal is "my speed". If it involved moving something complicated/vital I'd just "pay the man".

·
Registered
9,953 Posts
As far as install goes, I'm sure access is a little more difficult in the G2 being that the engine bay is smaller and crammed full of stuff. It's a breeze in the G1 as the access is wide open. There is a large rubber cap piece that goes over the hole for the bulb access. I had to trim this piece very slightly to get the large heat sink on the back of the bulb to fit. Other than that, it was a very easy install. Just dab a little dielectric grease on the connection and that's it.

If you need to secure the wires or the control box thing, I'd just zip tie it to whatever is close. You could try some 3M double sided tape and attach it to the body, but that will break down over time. A zip tie will last the life of the truck or the bulbs - whichever comes first.

·
Registered
760 Posts
As far as install goes, I'm sure access is a little more difficult in the G2 being that the engine bay is smaller and crammed full of stuff. It's a breeze in the G1 as the access is wide open. There is a large rubber cap piece that goes over the hole for the bulb access. I had to trim this piece very slightly to get the large heat sink on the back of the bulb to fit. Other than that, it was a very easy install. Just dab a little dielectric grease on the connection and that's it.

If you need to secure the wires or the control box thing, I'd just zip tie it to whatever is close. You could try some 3M double sided tape and attach it to the body, but that will break down over time. A zip tie will last the life of the truck or the bulbs - whichever comes first.
Good point. Tape eventually lets loose - even the good stuff; zip ties are far more dependable.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I have the Auxito linked above and they have performed well for both my high and low beam in my 2019 RTL. I think they are about $5 more now than when I bought them even after the current coupon, but so far they seem solid and quite bright so I would be happy even if I spent an extra $5 a set.
Going to order; want to make sure I get it right. I see 9005 and 9006/HB4 options. Guessing the 9005 is low beam and 9006/HB4 is high beam, right? They're $60 per pair and are xenon white. Hadn't thought about color - is white the usual/what you have?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Going to order; want to make sure I get it right. I see 9005 and 9006/HB4 options. Guessing the 9005 is low beam and 9006/HB4 is high beam, right? They're $60 per pair and are xenon white. Hadn't thought about color - is white the usual/what you have?
2017+

9005=High beam
H11 =low beam
H8=fog light

***also if your trim uses the high beams as DRL (day time running lights) be aware that some LED kits (9005 bulbs) will not drop/dim with voltage drop: So you are are driving with full high beams all day-when ever DRL's are on. Only limited LED kits people have confirm will work with the voltage drop

·
Registered
131 Posts
The auxitos mentioned above are the ones I have in my truck and they work fine as DRL and High Beam.

·
Premium Member
2020 Black Edition
27 Posts
Test drove this AM early. Didn't notice that much of a difference to be honest.
Replaced the other stock bulb with the 2nd LED and WOW what a difference. I think doing only one to see the difference between them was an issue. With both replaced I can see a world of difference now. So bright that it hurts the eyes when driving in town or around construction due to the glare off the reflective signs and barriers. Great out on the open road though. BIG difference from stock.

·
Registered
9,953 Posts
As a tip, if you do go the route of LED headlights, I would highly suggest doing a before and after alignment. Park your truck 20-25 feet away on a flat surface pointing at a flat wall. Use painters tape to mark the cutoff point of the top of the beam on the wall. Then replace with the LED's and check the top of the beam is in the same spot as the stock halogens. If they aren't, you need to adjust the headlights up or down with the adjustment screw. I had to adjust mine so that I wasn't blinding oncoming drivers. I didn't mark where the stocks were before I started, so I had no reference point. Had to do a full measured alignment procedure from scratch and make fine adjustments to get it just right.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts