Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
If it runs down the front bedwall, and immediately drains out the bottom thru the drain holes, or comes in the corners where the side panels and front panels meet, and runs down those panel seems and immediately drains out the corner drains, I am content and figure that's as good as it gets. It stays off the floor of the bed the way mine is set up, and I have a 4'x6' outdoor rubber back carpet mat from Lowes ($25) on the floor anyway (place it a few inches short of the front of the bed), so would just trickle under it. It is usually only about 1/2 cup of water in each corner during a hard rain, and more comes in parked than going down the road with 60 mph air blowing the rain over the top.
Well.. .the plot stinkens.... I finally got into the mess, reexamining where I now have been seeing heavier leaks, only to discover that when LEER made the cap and installed the interior carpet head lining, they must have sliced the "B-shaped" double silicone sealing gasket when they were trimming the carpet back. Based on how the carpet was installed, the glue used to hold the carpet on the surface of the fiberglass interior was also holding onto the interior side portion of the silicone gasket seal. Where the carpet was holding on, it was also covering up a large slit on the backside (interior bed side) of the silicone gasket seal. The slit line on the seal matched the cut edge of the carpet. It is so sliced through (both sides of that seal tube portion) that there is a hole 2 to 3" long. I was seeing water come out of the area and I couldn't figure out why since it was further into the bed area than one would think if it was just coming in directly at the seal area between top of bed rails and the cap. I had to pull back (up) the carpet to figure out what was going on. I gently pulled back the carpet (which was stuck well not only to the cap but to the silicone gasket seal) while water was dripping, only to find and see the slit area of the gasket. Water was dripping directly out of this slit. Water was also running farther along in the tube and collecting/dripping out in another area as well. At this point, I am pretty sure that water has been entering the silicone gasket seal up at the front corners and channeling down along the inside of one or both of the tubes of the gasket seal and dumping out into the bed area.

Had I realized this before, I would have gotten it repaired under the installer/LEER warranty. But now, the cap is well past initial warranty and LEER's Limited Lifetime Warranty only covers ".. that it will be free from defects in material and workmanship of the fiberglass structural material below the color surface." So, I guess, my late in life learning is that based on the two major manufacturing defects this cap came with --- an extremely bad side window install (which the dealer had to reinstall) and this slit silicone gasket seal (which was completely hidden) --- if you buy a LEER cap it would be in your best interest to inspect the cap fully before it is installed and, after it is installed, be persistent (a PITA to someone) in getting any leak addressed by the installer and repaired to your satisfaction. Unfortunately, as others have noted and as is my experience, LEER customer service appears to be pretty much non-existent. So, you will have to work through your dealer-installer. I know that the dealers told me that getting the caps sealed on Honda Ridgelines is difficult but I now think that with a defect-free cap and a little extra effort, they can be installed so that they are water tight... certainly more than what my LEER cap has been.

I am still working on it but I hope to get the cap water tight....

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Would you recommend not getting the headlining. It looks far better with it, but if its going to cause leaks, I'm not going to get it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Would you recommend not getting the headlining. It looks far better with it, but if its going to cause leaks, I'm not going to get it.
Well, not getting the headliner option would certainly be a strategy to eliminate the chance for the factory to screw things up around the seals when they are cutting the carpet liner. The liner, in addition to your note of it looking much better also adds insulation (important on hot summer days) and noise dampening (echo dampening on the road). As a decision, it comes back to how much time you want to dedicate going back to the dealer/installer....

Since I haven't seen a topper without the headliner, I can't tell how ugly it might be. It would probably look OK since all my other caps have been painted on the interiors to seal the FG surface. It would also be one less thing to worry about causing leaks around the windows, too. If you do decide to get the headliner option (or not, either way) I would still be adamant about having the cap checked well before the install and don't get blown off if you have any leaks after it is installed.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
I didn't get the headliner on my Leer because I figured my muddy dogs would just soil it. The unfinished topper interior is white with a rough surface. It's actually splintery along the curved roof indentations. I was disappointed in the quality of the finish and think they could have at least smoothed it off.

I hate the design and placement of the rear hatch hinges which result in much less headroom and opening clearance than necessary, based on other Leer toppers I've seen. The front sliding window feels cheap and not especially smooth. But so far my topper doesn't leak, although it has not been through a driving downpour yet -- just power washing and steady rain. Guess I should feel lucky.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts