Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Leer Truck Cap

Just wanted to pass some information along to those of you interested in the progress of the Leer Cap project. I spoke to a co-owner of the largest Leer Dealer in Lancaster, PA, Car-Mic, and he said the other owner attended a meeting with Leer two weeks ago, at which time Leer said the time line for the Ridgeline Cap is still six months away. Does anyone have any other information at this time. :)

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
William, we're working on one, plan to release it at the beginning of November. The quote above comes from Paul Campbell of Leer.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm very interested in getting a cap as well.

Do any of you, that have chatted with those in the know, have an idea what the Leer cap will look like? I've had my fingers crossed that someone will make a cab height model, rather than the stepped up one I have seen on Avalanches.

If it is cab height, sign me up for a black one. :D

·
Registered
423 Posts
BillB,
you wouldn't happen to have any pics/drawings you could post of it, would you, could you?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I don't see how they could make it cab high and still be water tight. Seems to me that it would have to go over the cab by , maybe 6 inches in order to make a seal on the roof to keep out the water. But I'm not an engineer, and maybe thats why. :(

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
I just sent off a request for any advance details of this Leer cap. I'll post as soon as I hear from the guy who gave me the November release date news. If you go to their web site, you can see the details of the 7 cap models they currently offer for all other trucks --- http://www.leer.com/

·
Registered
100 Posts
The caps for El Caminos were cab height and waterproof. I think it work's because the cab and bed are a single unit. The synthetic materials for gaskets are way better now than they were in the late '70s. I bet it's a no-brainer for those whiz-kids in R & D. :D

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
I received word today from Leer that they are still on schedule for November offering of Ridgeline Cap. They still will not offer any details, but based upon their line of caps, they will likely offer all options they currently have in the 7 various different models they make. Once they solve the mounting and sealing issues, the other parts of the cap are all add ons, including the various shapes, windows, doors, locks, etc...

·
Registered
579 Posts
BillB said:
I received word today from Leer that they are still on schedule for November offering of Ridgeline Cap. They still will not offer any details, but based upon their line of caps, they will likely offer all options they currently have in the 7 various different models they make. Once they solve the mounting and sealing issues, the other parts of the cap are all add ons, including the various shapes, windows, doors, locks, etc...
What are the odds they might make a tonneau cover too? I'm still waiting for one that's water tight.

·
Registered
268 Posts
"Leer" truck cap? NOT FOR ME! One of the most expensive pieces of junk ($1,300) that I have ever purchased. Cracks, ill fitting window parts, and it leaked worse than a colander.

And don't tell me about their "lifetime" warranty. The cap was in their warehouse more than on the back of my truck. They just eventually wore me down.

If I ever get another (which for the Ridgeline, I won't), it WOULD'T be a "Leer". :mad:

·
Registered
579 Posts
Hawk said:
"Leer" truck cap? NOT FOR ME! One of the most expensive pieces of junk ($1,300) that I have ever purchased. Cracks, ill fitting window parts, and it leaked worse than a colander.

And don't tell me about their "lifetime" warranty. The cap was in their warehouse more than on the back of my truck. They just eventually wore me down.

If I ever get another (which for the Ridgeline, I won't), it WOULD'T be a "Leer". :mad:
Valuable feedback. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
I hope someone comes out with a quality cap for this truck. It is the big missing piece in my "needed for use on a more than 3 day long-distance trip" list. Got to put more luggage in and I do not want to install a tonneau unless someone has one of those full bed tip up on a hinge model. That might work for me.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I agree. But I need to be able to use "PART" of my bed at least for now, so I had an Access Cover installed today. It is very nice. And I think that once the caps come out, I will be able to sell the cover to help pay for some of the cap.

Cheers,
George

·
Registered
1 Posts
I spoke with a sales rep at Leer today, they are unveiling their truck cap for the Ridgeline at the show in Las Vegas this week. It is in the 100XQ line with all of the accessories available to that line. The mold should be to the manufactorers in the next 1-2 weeks. We should be able to order and have delivery in 4-6 weeks, depending on the accessories ordered. Has anyone else heard of any company offering a cap in the near future?

Eyedoc

·
Registered
26 Posts
eyedoc said:
I spoke with a sales rep at Leer today, they are unveiling their truck cap for the Ridgeline at the show in Las Vegas this week. It is in the 100XQ line with all of the accessories available to that line. The mold should be to the manufactorers in the next 1-2 weeks. We should be able to order and have delivery in 4-6 weeks, depending on the accessories ordered. Has anyone else heard of any company offering a cap in the near future?

Eyedoc
I have heard that A.R.E. (www.4are.com) is also preping a cap, but is expecting it in January. The big issue will be how they integrate the cap into the body shape, unique lines of the Ridgeline. Aesthetically it is not a normal cap.

Also, I don't want a front window on the cap, but rather for it to seal right up to the back of the cab. Since they are one piece this should work okay without an "accordion" in between like on a traditional truck.

Time will tell, but frankly, I am tempted into the cover by BasicKonsepts.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I, too, want the same kind of design...basically the front of the top will be "open" so it fits right up against the lines of the truck, sloping down the side of the bed, etc.

I bought the Access Cover Tonneau for now...I can always remove it. But I needed something NOW and reasonably priced to haul all my "precious" cargo (plus my company paid for it, so that helps).

Cheers,
George

·
Registered
319 Posts
There is a picture on the other forum,from SEMA show,almost looks like A.R.E logo on the back but I am not sure.sorry about the size.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I don't think I like the ARE cap. Of course I said that about the Ridgeline when I first saw it. I would like the cap to integrate in to the truck so that it looks like it was always there. Kinda like a large Honda SUV. How long before Honda expands the Ridgeline chassis to compete with the Tahoe, Yukon, etc.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts