Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning all, I have a 2012 RTL w/nav and 2 times now I have turned the steering wheel to the left and the stereo changes to the next "mode" as if I hit the top left button on the steering wheel. Today switched from AM1 to Satellite radio (XM1)

It has only happened 2 times in the last month but being somewhat random as electrical issues are, I was wondering if anyone else has had this happen and what the specific issue was. the car is under warranty for another 3,000 miles or so BUT I don't want to spend tons of time chasing down an electrical issue with the dealership... Would like to give more specific info to them as to where to look. I assume there is a "clock ring" or something similar in the column making all the connections from the moving wheel to the stationary column but I was hoping for something more specific....

I did several searches in the forum to no avail. appreciate any help you all can give

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Your clockspring in the steering wheel or the stereo buttons are defective - I would bet in the clockspring ( it is a cable that expands and contracts with the turns of the wheel. )

·
Administrator
16,815 Posts
Each button press results in a unique resistance value through a series of resistors that is read by the device being controlled. This minimizes the number of wires required on the clockspring between the buttons and the controlled device. If there is a short in the clockspring, it could be intermittently duplicating the precise resistance value that tells the radio to change modes. However, an intermittent short is prone to changing resistance values, so I would expect more than just a random mode change. I'm leaning more towards a faulty button.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
Take it by the dealer -- they likely won't be able to duplicate the issue, but at least you got your concern on record before the warranty expires, so that if it does start doing it consistently later, they'll know you brought it in.

Chip H.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
I am curious if it does this when you simply turn the wheel, or are you driving around a curve or corner (will it do it when you are sitting still & turn the wheel)? I am asking, because I have experienced electrical issues in the past (not with the Ridgeline) that were caused by side 'lateral' acceleration forces caused when going around corners..... this due to bad wiring or connections that were intermittent; just the weight & movement of the loose wire/connector was enough to break connection intermittently. I doubt this is the problem (especially because yours just changes 'modes'), but if it does NOT do it while you are sitting still, you should consider it could be motion related.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts