Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I think we are about ready to pull the trigger. We've been waiting because we were waiting for on construction loan to close. With that done, I think we are ready.

Most here have emailed several dealers, and played them off of each other to get the lowest prices. They have also stated that they did not mention trade in till they walked in.

I was thinking what if I did this: email dealership with what I am looking for, the price I am willing to pay and what I want for my trade in and see who takes the deal.

Thoughts?

thanks,
-Shing

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
arteegee said:
Should be quicker that way. ;)
that's what I was thinking... certainly I might get a better deal if I play them off of each other, but that could be a more painful process. :)

·
Registered
430 Posts
That is the same thing I do in person. This way you target more dealers and save the leg work. Just be prepared for them to say, "We need to the condition of your trade-in before we can commit to those numbers."

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
If you are a member of a wholesale club or any club for that matter to see if they have a discount auto program, this may give you at least a good price to work with. If I had waited for my club guy to call back I would have saved another $2000 on my purchase.

Just a small thing, Consumer Reports and I think several other online auto sites suggest that you not bring the trade-in into the picture until you have settled onto a price for the vehicle. But this is your choice.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Never mention the trade up front. Finalize that price then deal with the trade. I am picking up my Redrock Ridgeline tomorrow night for $500 over invoice. Keep a straight face...and don't get excited. :) If the price comes back higher after the "management talk", be prepared to walk. They came back at $1200 over...I stood up, shook the salemans hand, and said "thanks for your time"! He immediately ran back into the sales manager's office. Like I said....picking it up tomorrow evening! :D
jr

·
Registered
491 Posts
In this order works for me:

1. Get your best price....period.
2. Get your best finance rate.
3. Then mention your trade.
4. Then talk price on accesories.

I sat for 2 hours of high pressure on a toyota and they then tried to stick me with the finance rate. Little did they know that I was paying it off right away...ha.

And walk out as much as you can.

I also spent a whole day going back and forth on the phone between 2 dealers. I up'ed the price from the other on every call too by a few hundred.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Definitely get the best price first. Having a dealer nearer to you is worth $$ something, especially with some of the issues involved with owning a first run Production vehicle. Dealers within a 10-20 mile radius definitely know what each one is offering the vehicle at so you will not surprise anyone when you beat their initial attempt to get you to be the buyer to pay close to MSRP. If you visit a dealer that has used cars from other companies displayed prominantly on their lot, this is a sign they will give you a better deal on your trade (if it is a recent year and in good shape) - they usually have space available and don't mind holding a used car instead of wholesaling it and sticking you with bad trade in $$.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts