Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Read Only
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post after just recently joining the Club. I have been working with P2R racing to build a really nice little replacement motor for my 2010 RTL. I'm excited about it but have been surprised by the lack of options available for an upgraded transmission. I am giving LevelTen a hard look. Has anyone worked with them before?

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,658 Posts
I have to say I've never heard of them before.

What sort of motor mods are you planning?

·
Read Only
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Naturally aspirated 3.5 stroker with new J35 block, J37 crank with 11.5:1 Forged rods, Traum pistons, with ceramic top and molly skirts. Along with ported and polished heads and a Ferrera valve train. I have already installed some peripherals like a 340lpm fuel pump and an RV6 J Tube that bolts up to their high flow cat. There is also an exhaust cutout installed right after the cat. After that, I plan to put in all the good bolt on stuff, a reliable billet cam if I can find one and I will probably run 500cc or so injectors.
But, if I can't put the power to the wheels.........

·
Administrator
21,091 Posts
I don't understand spending all that time and money only to be left behind by a stock Toyota Camry (and probably a stock 2G Ridgeline).

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,658 Posts
Naturally aspirated 3.5 stroker with new J35 block, J37 crank with 11.5:1 Forged rods, Traum pistons, with ceramic top and molly skirts. Along with ported and polished heads and a Ferrera valve train. I have already installed some peripherals like a 340lpm fuel pump and an RV6 J Tube that bolts up to their high flow cat. There is also an exhaust cutout installed right after the cat. After that, I plan to put in all the good bolt on stuff, a reliable billet cam if I can find one and I will probably run 500cc or so injectors.
But, if I can't put the power to the wheels.........
Sounds interesting. I know a few have toyed with turbocharging the J35 with, shall we say, limited success. There are a few YT videos about it.

Yeah, the limitation may be the drive train. Good luck in your quest. There are some others here that may wish to weigh in who've done some mods. @GhostYK1 for one.

Also, clever user name. ;)

Reactions: GhostYK1

·
Read Only
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Appreciate the input. Maybe I'll find a unicorn if this post doesn't get buried. Username feels right after meeting so many smart, young people during this project. Bunch of fun and challenging.

·
Registered
2020 Ridgeline RTL-E
70 Posts
11.5 compression seems high for even premium grade pump gas. This is old school, back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, I had a small block Chevy 327 with 11.5 compression and it only ran on top grade leaded Sonoco and 108 octane leaded racing fuel.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Apples/oranges......the similarity pretty much stops at both use a V configuration. The stock G2 Rigi is 11.5:1 on 87 octane.

·
Read Only
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think the Sonoco emblem was actually a little green dinosuar. Yup, 70 cents a gallon and O2 sensors, EGR valves, catalytic converters were already "deleted" and rev limits were called blow outs. Man, I'm officially old.

Anyway......any good direction on the PSFA transmission?

·
Registered
2020 Ridgeline RTL-E
70 Posts
The green dinosaur was Sinclair.
Sunoco had the pumps with the gas grade selector switch, 190, 200, 220, 240 and 260.

·
Read Only
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's true, my project has a lot of challenges and failure is always an option. But, right now, I am really interested in hearing any valuable insight about the transmission. This includes reputable shops and mechanics. I would love to talk to them.
Here's the fallback position: replace transmissions as needed with remanufactured ones. Same goes for the transfer case. I don't think a V6 is going to generate the kind of torque that will tear out a rear differential before the transfercase welds itself together, but maybe. I don't really know. I do know that a blown 327 will tear the rear end out of a stock 72 Vega, but that's not what we're talking about.

·
Administrator
21,091 Posts
I respect your interests, but the Ridgeline is simply not a vehicle that lends itself well to powertrain modifications. There's little to no aftermarket support unlike Honda's four-cylinder engines and manual transmissions.

·
Registered
2020 Ridgeline RTL-E
70 Posts
I know that some performance transmission kits include an increase in the number of clutch disks by using thinner disks, a modified valve body and a heavier duty pump. With a modified transmission would the Ridgeline computer need reprogramming?

·
Administrator
21,091 Posts
If you want to maintain the same shift quality, yes. I've never heard of anyone reprogramming a Honda automatic transmission.

·
Read Only
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The Ktuner unit and reflash I am currently running seems fine so far. It is the only ECU reflash I am aware of that integrates with the transmission. I plan to determine if rpm/speed values can be entered for each gear. Also, I am beginning to think I should steer away from the term "performance" and start describing a solid rebuild. A higher stall converter is possible and Raybestos clutch packs have been recommended. Companies like Sonnax and Transtar make OEM upgraded parts. It's just that nobody I have talked to locally seems be familiar with the PSFA model.

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
I was tagged in this thread and wanted to stop in and say welcome and Just Do It......

I love the way my truck has reacted to all of my mods. No I have not put it on a dyno yet. So I really have no input as far as upgraded transmission, transfer case and differentials go, other than I haven't lost any of them yet......(knocks on wood) still all seem to be holding up strong. Yearly oil changes show no signs of wear particulate or burning. Although I am sure there must be some, I beat on this thing daily!

·
Registered
1 Posts
These guys are doing things with our J motors.

This V6 can be built for 580-600HP WHP daily driver and there are more extreme examples over 1,000. Search for J series turbo on YT.

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,747 Posts
I want to bring this thread back to life, as there are some interests around performance add-ons to the G1 and G2.

If I am not mistaken, Raybestos is the OEM supplier of the clutch rings. Curious if the ones they recommended are essentially stock ones
Level10 and 517trans were recommended by a good friend who builds high performance VWs. Surfing the web, looks like the person Sam who was with Level10 started 517trans.

Lastly, I am curious what came of this.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts