Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We replaced our 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland (hemi V8) in early 2019 with a 2016 GX460 that was coming off lease - 30k miles, very nice shape, and of course quite a bit less than "new" cost.

Selected the GX because of the additional space, nice, low-key interior, solid feel, and the expectation that it'll last a long while. Really like it so far.

My son-in-law is a "car guy", and while considering what SUVs to look at - and I think we thought of "most" possibilities - he pointed out the GX as a candidate to check out. We've had it almost a 1.5 years, but he just saw & forwarded this Savage Geese review, which actually aligns with my experience/feeling about the vehicle:

I really enjoy the Savage Geese reviews. The first one I saw was the G2 Ridgeline review, which was helpful in my pre-purchase research.

·
Administrator
15,217 Posts
What do you think of the GX's steering feel? I drove a 2019 last year and was immediately caught off guard by how heavy the steering was. I didn't find it easy to drive at lll and assumed it was in some sort of "sport mode" so I asked the Lexus rep how to switch to "comfort" mode. She said it was already in comfort mode and that the firm steering feel was intentional. I found it very tiring and unbecoming of a luxury vehicle. It would be a definite deal-breaker for me.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What do you think of the GX's steering feel? I drove a 2019 last year and was immediately caught off guard by how heavy the steering was. I didn't find it easy to drive at lll and assumed it was in some sort of "sport mode" so I asked the Lexus rep how to switch to "comfort" mode. She said it was already in comfort mode and that the firm steering feel was intentional. I found it very tiring and unbecoming of a luxury vehicle. It would be a definite deal-breaker for me.
I wonder if there was something wrong with the power steering pump? The vehicle is pretty heavy, but the steering doesn't feel heavy to me - in fact it's relaxing to drive. Also, it's my wife's primary vehicle - though I've noticed that she takes the G2 Ridgeline much more than she did the G1! - and she likes it, but definitely wouldn't if it was a labor to steer.

I really like the way it drives at slow speed, which I assume is a desirable off-road characteristic. For a bigger machine it's very maneuverable.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts