Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for the size of the screws used in the rear license plate of a 2018 rtle. Also anyone have any security screws they use and if so what brand
Thx

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I use stainless hex head cap screws. A bit harder to steal unless you have the right hex key. I think they look good and will at least slow a thief down a bit more than a screw. Don't remember the size.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I use stainless hex head cap screws. A bit harder to steal unless you have the right hex key. I think they look good and will at least slow a thief down a bit more than a screw. Don't remember the size.
I went to the Honda dealership and they gave me 4 screws. Thanks. I'll look for a hex screw later to fit

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haha. So true. But because they are not flat and receded into the plate. I could still get them off with a set of pliers.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Looking for the size of the screws used in the rear license plate of a 2018 rtle. Also anyone have any security screws they use and if so what brand
Thx
1/4X20 or 6 mm. 90% likelihood that they are 6 mm.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Remember even with a hex screw a small flathead screwdriver will turn it. Agree - just try to slow down the thief or get them to move to the next vehicle.

On a general note I use stainless steel nuts and bolts to avoid the rust factor (including the hardware I used on the brackets to install my tonneau cover).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,559 Posts
Sold a 1986 Dodge 15 passenger van w/45K original miles (along with 45+ problems) this week. I mistakenly forgot to take off the license plates. The gentleman who purchased the van, was nice enough to let me come over and rescue them. I took what I thought would be the appropriate tools. When I got there, the van had those special "high security" screws which are mentioned above in the thread.

I did not want to mess around for too long - so I told the guy, I would just "tear" the plates off the vehicle. To my surprise, the license plates popped off in about one second when I pulled from the bottom up. The moral of the story is: use a cover on your plate and always use four screws if you can. Large washers might even be a good idea. I have one of those vanity covers from @5S Dude, on the back of my Ridgeline, so I imagine that would be much more difficult to remove. Now he can advertise them as a "theft deterrent" system.

I have included a picture of the plate. The existing hole was barely damaged. BTW, the man bought the van to use as a storage unit, saying it was cheaper than renting one. He is keeping the van in his backyard.

Attachments

Reactions: zroger73

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,020 Posts
I did not want to mess around for too long - so I told the guy, I would just "tear" the plates off the vehicle. To my surprise, the license plates popped off in about one second when I pulled from the bottom up.
Funny you say that as we had a plate theft at work and one of our detectives called me last year to check on a claim which was an EZPass violation for not paying a toll. The plate was from one of our electronic variable message boards (the trailer that has those large digital messages for road advisory) and the trailer was a black enclosed trailer. Whoever took it off, just snipped the bottom and top sections of the plate to steal it.
Also, when my wife's Corolla met its demise (thanks to a dead tree), the bolts were rusted and I had no tools, I just grabbed the plates and ripped it off the screws. These aluminum plates are just garbage.

·
Registered
2017 RTS White
281 Posts
Sold a 1986 Dodge 15 passenger van w/45K original miles (along with 45+ problems) this week. I mistakenly forgot to take off the license plates. The gentleman who purchased the van, was nice enough to let me come over and rescue them. I took what I thought would be the appropriate tools. When I got there, the van had those special "high security" screws which are mentioned above in the thread.

I did not want to mess around for too long - so I told the guy, I would just "tear" the plates off the vehicle. To my surprise, the license plates popped off in about one second when I pulled from the bottom up. The moral of the story is: use a cover on your plate and always use four screws if you can. Large washers might even be a good idea. I have one of those vanity covers from @5S Dude, on the back of my Ridgeline, so I imagine that would be much more difficult to remove. Now he can advertise them as a "theft deterrent" system.

I have included a picture of the plate. The existing hole was barely damaged. BTW, the man bought the van to use as a storage unit, saying it was cheaper than renting one. He is keeping the van in his backyard.
I still miss my 86 Dodge 250 8 passenger. But yeah it did have more than it's share of issues.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I replaced my license plate screws yesterday with stainless. They are M6 (6 millimeter) with a 1.0 thread and 20mm long (m6-1.00 x 20). Security torx is probably the most theft resistant.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts