Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From Car & Driver: The Ridgeline drives like an Accord, meaning better than any other pickup, from the HD models to full-sizers
to whatever we’re calling the smallish trucks that form the Ridgeline’s would-be-competitive set.

I have already seen what is likely to become the new designation for the 'smallish' Ridgeline. The new name for this segment, the “lifestyle” pickups.
And there is another one on-the-way:

2019 Hyundai Santa Cruz Pickup Almost Ready

Internal studies suggest Hyundai could sell about 50,000 Santa Cruz pickups a year, and external studies put the figure as high as 70,000.

Reactions: Jamesinkeys

·
Registered
371 Posts
The Santa Cruz is more like a sports car pickup, I think it will sell because of it's looks and some PU like functions, but it's no where close to the Ridgeline. It will be interesting to see who joins the Ridgeline style of truck, maybe Lincoln, Cadillac, Lexus, who knows. I think it will need to be an upscale car company that could might pull it off.

trainman

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cadillac had an expensive PU based on the Chevy Avalanche with a profile sorta' like the Gen 1 RL.
I think the RL will be the standard of this new group whatever we call it!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Cadillac had an expensive PU based on the Chevy Avalanche with a profile sorta' like the Gen 1 RL.
I think the RL will be the standard of this new group whatever we call it!
The Cadillac Escalade EXT WAS the Avalanche... same body, same engine, same frame, etc. except the black plastic was replaced by body color panels. Same functionality and had all the upscale interior. And since the Avalanche was out before the G1 RL then the Gen 1 was sorta' like the Avalanche (former Avalanche owner)...:grin:

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
duplicate post

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Cadillac Escalade EXT WAS the Avalanche... same body, same engine, same frame, etc. except the black plastic was replaced by body color panels. Same functionality and had all the upscale interior. And since the Avalanche was out before the G1 RL then the Gen 1 was sorta' like the Avalanche (former Avalanche owner)...:grin:
Yeah, the EXT. Had a unique cover and folded down under rear window, I think?
A friend of mine still has a white one.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
It exists. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_Baja
Be careful for what you wish for
Nah. They need to make a new one. Unibody, base it off their new SGP platform. Give it Outback ground clearance. Make it fit in to these newer compacts on looks, with their AWD system and H6 from the Outback/Legacy, the 3.6L. They use Bilsteins for the WRX and Levorg STi in Japan. I hope one day, they enter the market segment.

Quite familiar with the Baja, and that's the last thing they need to make.

·
Registered
371 Posts
To be Ridgeline class, you have to go out in your garage and have a hard time deciding which vehicle you want to drive, the Ridgeline, or the Lexus/Acura and the wife says, makes no difference to me, I like them both.

trainman

·
Registered
417 Posts
From Car & Driver: The Ridgeline drives like an Accord, meaning better than any other pickup, from the HD models to full-sizers to whatever we’re calling the smallish trucks that form the Ridgeline’s would-be-competitive set.
I love how the so-called "experts" presume a truck that drives like a car is automatically a better driving experience than a truck that drives like a truck. A simple study of sales numbers would suggest many of us actually *enjoy* a truck that drives like a truck. That's a big reason many of us want trucks! :surprise:

·
Registered
231 Posts
I think this class of vehicle is going to prove to be very popular especially up here in the north country. It meets so many needs and wants, and looks good doing it. I was all set to buy a 2011 Sport Trak until Ford cancelled it. It met many of those same points even though it was a Ford. FYI, I though those were body on frame vehicles prior to 2011 and since the 2011 model was cancelled the Ridgeline was and still is the only unibody pickup. Well, if you don't include the Subrau Brat or tiny VW Rabbit pretend trucks.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I love how the so-called "experts" presume a truck that drives like a car is automatically a better driving experience than a truck that drives like a truck. A simple study of sales numbers would suggest many of us actually *enjoy* a truck that drives like a truck. That's a big reason many of us want trucks! :surprise:
Having personally owned several Toyota PUs (still have – for now – a T100) and with a friends who have a late model Taco and 2 yr. old F150, I can absolutely can assure you that a RL does drive better than any other pickup in its class.

As to what a real pickup should be, there is no set of standards.
For those who want a poor riding, gas guzzling, body on frame but Rubicon ready vehicle, you have several to pick from.
Reckon they make shopping mall parking lot stop strips easy to climb.

But make no mistake, Honda has a huge hit with the 2nd Gen RL with reviews and sales numbers to prove it.

Reactions: ToneGuy007

·
Registered
417 Posts
Having personally owned several Toyota PUs (still have – for now – a T100) and with a friends who have a late model Taco and 2 yr. old F150, I can absolutely can assure you that a RL does drive better than any other pickup in its class.

As to what a real pickup should be, there is no set of standards.
For those who want a poor riding, gas guzzling, body on frame but Rubicon ready vehicle, you have several to pick from.
Reckon they make shopping mall parking lot stop strips easy to climb.

But make no mistake, Honda has a huge hit with the 2nd Gen RL with reviews and sales numbers to prove it.
You're missing the point.... Obviously, for you, and others, a truck that drives like a car is "better". One could conclude "better" for you means a softer suspension (less hauling/towing capacity), smaller size & maneuverability, car-like interior. Why would you presume this is true for everyone?

For me, and millions of others who opt for different trucks, what you perceive as better is not universal to everyone.

Sorry, just not a fan of these ambiguous blanket statements.

Reactions: martyn1075

·
Registered
928 Posts
the Ridgeline was and still is the only unibody pickup. Well, if you don't include the Subrau Brat or tiny VW Rabbit pretend trucks.
I'm knit picking here but I'm pretty sure the Jeep Comanche back in the mid 80s was the first real unibody pickup in the states not counting the miniature ones you also mentioned. I could be wrong, as I'm just going off of memory. Did not search it. It was built off of the Cherokee platform.

·
Registered
928 Posts
1 - 20 of 53 Posts