Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When i purchased my 2019 RL, the dealer that i bought from includes a "lifetime powertrain warranty" with every new or certified purchase.
This did not affect the sale or was the reason i used this dealership. They had the vehicle i wanted at the best price...so it was basically a freebie...
Nothing added to the bottom line...and RL bought below invoice...

So... my question. Is this type of warranty actually worth anything.
Have any of you ever had the misfortune to ever have to use one of these?
And should this affect my decision on whether to purchase HondaCare?
(I know hondacare is much more extensive, but if this warranty really is worth something,
maybe i dont need hondacare?)
Ive contacted the company providing this warranty, im in there "system"...and that i am not required to do anything other than maintain the vehicle per the manufacturers requirements. If i perform my own service, i will need to keep all reciepts...which is the same that Honda requires.
They have provided me with a list of whats covered, etc.
But it will be YEARS before i ever need to use this...
So just trying to feel out if its worth anything..or just a sales gimick the dealership uses.
Id hate to hold onto this paperwork for 5years then it not pay out....and wish i had bought the HondaCare.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
The dealer expects you not to read the fine print.
The warranty is void if you do not have the dealer do the annual inspection. Most state within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
Of the over 10000 cars over 1 year old that the local dealer has sold with the lifetime warranty, only 165 have current annual inspections.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
"The dealer expects you not to read the fine print.
The warranty is void if you do not have the dealer do the annual inspection. Most state within 2 weeks of the purchase date.
Of the over 10000 cars over 1 year old that the local dealer has sold with the lifetime warranty, only 165 have current annual inspections. "

Ive been looking for any kind of language about "annual inspections" etc...
Can you tell me where you see this?
I contacted the company that handles this warranty and they indicated that i am not required to do anything other than maintain the vehicle per the manufacturers requirements. If i perform my own service, i will need to keep all reciepts...which is the same that Honda requires.
Only inspection they require is prior to any work being performed...Their adjuster I guess has the right to inspect the vehicle.?

And this is why I'm considering the HondaCare, although my RL included this "warranty"...
I've never trusted anything that you get for free...

:)

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,242 Posts
The warranty is void if you do not have the dealer do the annual inspection.
Where is that stated in the document posted by @YetiXing?

FYI I've attached a copy of the document converted to 'text searchable' PDF.

So... my question. Is this type of warranty actually worth anything.
IMO it has "worth" to the extent you find value in consideration of all the limitations and obligations of the contract.

One might wonder about things like
  • 'difficulties' with the Administrator (their procedures, timeliness, interpretations / judgments)
  • What happens when the dealer goes under or changes ownership (I see the link you provided saying this warranty has surety backing but mention of that is conspicuously absent in the pages you posted; the contract refers to a 3rd party "Administrator" but not an "obligee" or "guarantor" other than the named Dealer)
There's likely no assured answer to those questions 'till the actual situation arises.

It strikes me from a quick read ...
  • Your obligations under the warranty you attached seem reasonably consistent with those required under HondaCare - nothing jumps out as a particularly onerous 'gotchya' other than the explicit bias in favor of having work under this warranty done by the specific Selling Dealer rather than any Honda Dealer
  • I don't see anything that this warranty covers which would likely not be covered by Hondacare while HondaCare is in force
  • Obviously the coverage is limited to the specific listed Powertrain items so, for example, doesn't cover things like OE infotainment and certain other non-powertrain components that are within the scope of HondaCare
You seem convinced that with your 'deal' you didn't 'pay extra' for this warranty; fair enough, I'm not in a position to argue, and in any case the deal is done so that's water under the bridge. So moving forward, given where you now are, I'd not toss this paperwork or ignore your obligations / recordkeeping requirements to 'keep it in force' (again, Hondacare would require similar).

As far as getting HondaCare on top of this, I note you've been assiduously following several of the threads on HondaCare and all the info in those still applies. There's nothing in this that precludes you buying HondaCare if you want.

IMO the question is "Do I (YetiXing) think there's value for me in paying for the additional coverages provided by HondaCare with the backing of Honda Financial Services, above and beyond this 'freebee' warranty?"

IMO that's still a question that only you can answer.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I contacted the company that handles this warranty and they indicated …..
Please remember …. push-come-to-shove all that matters is the text of the written contract; verbal representations are meaningless for all practical intents.

That's true of this warranty, HondaCare, or any other written agreement you encounter in life. While exceptions may be found in case law, the effort and expense of litigation to enforce an alleged verbal modifier of a written contract is usually huge and onerous - IMO a situation best avoided by basing expectations on the written contract terms only.

One man's opinion.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply...

I feel fairly confident in the price i paid..that if something was paid for this warranty, i surely didnt see it.
I bought a 2019 RT Ridgeline for $26,700... $28,333 OTD. Which from what ive read, even with the rebates in place is pretty good.

Being that I intentionally bought a FWD RT without allot of the electronics included, there are allot less things to go wrong.
(My 99 F150 that my son drives was the same type of build...basic truck...still rolling! ) :)
So far it appears that the 2019 i bought is after allot of the 2017-18 issues, but only time will tell. Ive owned 4 hondas over the years and all have been great. No major issues...just a few recalls, and general maintenance...

I waited as long as i could but had to grab one with the 6spd AT... Especially since i can still maintain it..unlike the sealed 9sp. Only owned the truck a short while..but love it.

Its always a tough decision, keeping a vehicle 10-15years...whether a EXT warranty is necessary.
Ive only bought one, back in the 90's for a civic...and in the end it was a wash... they replaced my front CV joints for about what i paid for the warranty.

Thanks again for the opinion....:)

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Here is an example in red box in the "G" section. The red box is kind of light.
Scanned Document.jpg

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I see it clearly satiated in that contract.
Do you see anything in the contact I posted.

After talking with the company that manages this policy the only requirement that they have indicated both verbally and in writing as that I maintain the vehicle and keep receipts in accordance with the manufacturers requirements. Also if, I live within 50 miles of the issuing dealer I must use them. But since I am a couple hours away and clearly not within the 50 mile radius. Then I can choose to use my Honda dealer which is 10 minutes from home.

I know these warranties or a gamble. They can always find an exclusion, I was really just going after anyone had experience with this particular brand of warranty and if there was anything that was clearly noted that would exclude me from using it. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
A potential exposure is if the warranty company goes out of business. Did you check you auto insurance policy? Some have mechanical breakdown. It could help.

·
Administrator
13,748 Posts
I have not read the whole contract in detail, but some items caught my eye during a quick scan...

"Return the vehicle to us..."
Who is "us"?

"...or, at our option, take the Vehicle to an authorized licensed repair facility..."
Who are the "authorized licensed repair facilities"?

"...at our option, is remanufactured, used or new..."
Does Honda Care use used parts? I believe they use only new or remanufactured parts - not something of questionable quality salvaged from a local wrecking yard.

"The total dollar benefit paid for any given Covered Repair is limited to the average trade-in value of the vehicle..."
This can become an issue if you need a new engine or transmission and the average trade-in value at the vehicle's age and/or mileage is below the cost of repairs. I'm not seeing such a limit of liability in the Honda Care contract, but I'm probably overlooking it.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
"...at our option, is remanufactured, used or new..."
Does Honda Care use used parts? I believe they use only new or remanufactured parts - not something of questionable quality salvaged from a local wrecking yard.
FYI from my HondaCare New Vehicle ESC: "Repairs and replacements will be made with new or remanufactured HONDA Genuine or AMERICAN HONDA authorized parts of like kind and quality."

"The total dollar benefit paid for any given Covered Repair is limited to the average trade-in value of the vehicle..."
This can become an issue if you need a new engine or transmission and the average trade-in value at the vehicle's age and/or mileage is below the cost of repairs. I'm not seeing such a limit of liability in the Honda Care contract, but I'm probably overlooking it.
Again, FYI from my HondaCare New Vehicle ESC: "The aggregate limit of liability for this CONTRACT shall not exceed the amount YOU paid for YOUR VEHICLE."

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I’m definitely not comparing this warranty to HondaCare. If I was paying out of pocket there would be no question. I would choose the HondaCare. I was just looking over the Ext warranty that was included w my purchase and trying to decide if it provided enough reliable coverage to prevent me from considering HondaCare for long term coverage.
Something that may not be known until it’s time to use unfortunately....

·
Administrator
13,748 Posts
Well, let's see... Honda provides similar coverage to the "lifetime powertrain warranty" for 5/60 as standard. The most common and expensive problem so far has been the fuel injector issue which is not covered by either the Honda 5/60 or dealer lifetime powertrain warranties. TSB's are covered only for 3/36. 2019's made since February 2019 are unaffected by any recalls or the fuel injector TSB at this time, so its reasonable to conclude that most of the major bugs may have been worked out.

Normally, I don't keep vehicles past 3/36 or buy extended warranties, but if I were going to keep any modern vehicle past 3/36, I'd seriously consider buying the longest manufacturer warranty available. Honda Care is transferable which can be very helpful if you decided to sell the vehicle.

If I were you, I'd buy Honda Care for the non-powertrain coverage and powertrain coverage until 8/120. If the dealer lifetime powertrain warranty is still around after 8/120, use that if you need to.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Another aspect of this is marketing. In the US, when someone finances a brand new vehicle, on average 81% of buyers trade out of it to a new vehicle in 3.8 years. So that means only 1/5th of buyers may hit the end of the original factory drivetrain warranty before any of their "lifetime" coverage comes in to play. Then by that point it is a numbers game of how many of that 20% will actually have a coverable repair needed after that point. It gives the consumer the warm and fuzzy feel goods with little risk to the dealer

·
Administrator
13,748 Posts
Another aspect of this is marketing. In the US, when someone finances a brand new vehicle, on average 81% of buyers trade out of it to a new vehicle in 3.8 years. So that means only 1/5th of buyers may hit the end of the original factory drivetrain warranty before any of their "lifetime" coverage comes in to play.
According to this source, Honda owners keep their vehicles an average of 8.9 years. Math tells us that in order for 81% of buyers to trade every 3.8 years, the remaining 19% would have to trade every 30.9 years. I don't believe nearly one-fifth of the population keeps a vehicle an average of three decades. :)

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yea, i agree with zroger73...
I'll prob grab a HondaCare policy before 6kmiles...
Then if I still own it after the 8y/120k expires and have an issue, I'll find out then if that "free lifetime warranty" is worth anything.
:)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts