Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Lift Kit & Towing Info...

25K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  Jesse14 
#1 ·
Hello,
Please excuse this post if it's been covered before. I did a search and come up with no significant info for the G2 Ridgeline.

I am looking for 'real' feedback on those with a leveling kit on their G2 that also tow something at least 3500-4500lbs.

1. does the Ridgeline perform any different while towing then at stock suspension for you?
2. Is the rear squat different for you then before adding the leveling kit?
** Any other input with this combination would be greatly appreciated.

note: I know there are several out there with opinions about the risks on adding a leveling kit to your suspension. This topic has been covered in many other threads and discussed at great length. Not looking for debate/discussion on the cons of lifting. Just looking for real feedback and first hand experience from anyone who has done both of these things.

Thank you!

#2 · (Edited)
No experience here (yet), but your questions are good ones. There are some pictures on this forum and more on the web of stock G2s pulling single and double axle trailers of various weights (Car & Driver long term G2 report has several). You can clearly see the rear squat varying with tongue weight on the truck. It also looks like the front of the truck is lifted significantly when rear squat is pronounced.

My thoughts are that Honda intentionally designed the front rake to compensate for tongue weights approaching the RL's stated limit. In other words, they knew that towing heavy loads would lift the front suspension and they wanted to minimize any potential problems in handling or performance that could result. So, like you, I have to wonder how the 1.5" front lift/leveling kits play into those design objectives when towing. Jsport/HPD uses its leveled RLs to tow trailered vehicles, but we can't really expect to get a completely objective assessment from them regarding your questions. I hope you'll get some replies from ROCers with relevant experience.

Of course Honda could alleviate these concerns somewhat by giving us a factory-modified edition of the RL which incorporates the new AWD Passport's front suspension with 8.4" of GC...but I'm not holding my breath for that. :)

#3 · (Edited)
I'll let you know what my results are once I've got everything set-up and tested. I am adding a 2" (front and rear) Traxda lift to my 2019, which I use to tow a 19' travel tailer (4,000 lbs gross weight). I do use a weight distributing hitch which should balance the load quite well and improve the overall towing experience.

Here is a pic with 255/60-18 tires (Hankook Dyna Pro) before the 2" lift.

Attachments

#5 ·
I don't think that having a leveling kit will make much, if any, difference in handling/safety while towing 4000lbs+. I think it will just look worse, or look like you are towing too heavy of a load because the front end will be 1.5 inches higher than a stock set-up (that would already have a sagging rear-end and a raised front-end.) But i can't imagine that weight on the front and rear axle would be very much different when towing within the manufacturer's specs with or without a leveling kit.

#6 ·
Moderator Note: Thread Moved

#7 · (Edited)
I ran into this Gen2 along I-95 northbound near Lorton, VA and it looks like it may have a mild front lift--particularly given the aftermarket rims and beefy tires--and they appear to be towing what I would estimate is a maximum trailer load of about 5,000 lbs. You can see the sag of the rear suspension but how it does or does not affect the floatiness of the front-end is anyone's guess, unless you know this owner and can interview them.

Edit: Here is a side-view showing the rake of an unmodified Gen2 for comparison.

#8 · (Edited)
The front leveling kit will make the truck look nice when you are not towing but once you connect your trailer you are going to have rear squat, this means your front end will be higher than your rear - not what you want.

I did a test tow of my 19' 4,000 lbs travel trailer before adding the lift kit, and without the weight distributing hitch, and I had about 1.5" of squat on the rear. With that said, I'm going with the 2" lift all around.

#9 · (Edited)
^^^There's been some Forum chat about camber issues when adding rear lift to the G2, including comments about needing to add aftermarket suspension components that allow for more rear camber adjustment after lifting. If I recall correctly, one ROCer ended up removing or reducing the rear lift due to these issues. It will be good to hear how your 2" front/rear lift works out.

#10 ·
I subscribed to the thread. Traxda site indicates that the lift has 2 degrees (+1/-1) camber adjustment and no mention of issues. I was reading the 2" lift front and rear. Like the rest of the folks here, I believe leaving the rake is probably the wisest choice. The corner weight will remain the same and towing should not be affected while increasing off-road capabilities.

#14 ·
We pulled our new Airstream home a few days ago and had about 2" of rear squat (~400 lbs on the tongue). The RL did a very good job and we never felt the bump stops. Handling and performance seemed to be intact.

When thinking about the way the truck looks loaded, I now see that the truck was level rather than being too low in the rear. When unloaded, it does feel like it is doing a nose dive.

#15 ·
We pulled our new Airstream home a few days ago and had about 2" of rear squat (~400 lbs on the tongue). The RL did a very good job and we never felt the bump stops. Handling and performance seemed to be intact.

When thinking about the way the truck looks loaded, I now see that the truck was level rather than being too low in the rear. When unloaded, it does feel like it is doing a nose dive.
What size airstream? ill be purchasing one in a few years but want to keep my Ridgeline. what lift setup do you have?

#16 ·
The trailer is a 2019 Sport 22'FB (front bed). This one is perfect for the RL in many ways. It has an unloaded weight of 3,634 lbs and max weight of 4,500 lbs. I went to a weight distribution hitch and the truck sits level with the trailer attached. I didn't install a lift as it isn't needed for this setup.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.