Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a white 2017 RTL-T and I'm planning to install a Traxda 2" front/1" rear lift kit, and Continental TerrainContact Tires size 265/60/R18. I've done some research, but it's hard to compile definitive answers.

If possible, I'd like to keep the stock wheels to save money. I want the extra height and beefier tires, but I also want the tires to move outwards and not be so buried inside the wheel wells. The wider tires should help, but will a small spacer also needed? I'd like not to get crazy with spacer size to avoid potential issues.

Will this setup rub? If so, can it be addressed with a heat gun or otherwise? How about with spacers? Is 2" lift in the front too much?

Thanks in advance for the feedback. Feel free to post pics. :)

·
Registered
567 Posts
likely that it will rub a little in that size on stock rims with a level kit that sucks the wheels in a little, in my opinion taller but more narrow fits the stock wheels best.

you could try what i did and actually get a bit taller tires than what the 265s offer

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/193-2g-tires-wheels-suspension/182225-255-65-18-sumitomo-encounter-ht.html

however you will need to be careful and look at tread width and diameter to make sure you dont go any larger than the encounter HT because they are very close to rubbing on stock rim with 1.5" truxxx level kit.

if you want the 265 without rub issues, try to find 35mm offset rims like the warlords or XD.. hub centric rings are an option but not that much cheaper for quality ones.

here are some spacer/rim options:
https://www.4wheelparts.com/Wheels/Rugged-Ridge-Wheel-Spacers-Black-15201-19.aspx?t_c=11&t_s=107&t_pt=7576&t_pn=RUG15201.19
http://www.blackrhinowheels.com/truck-wheels-truck-rims-warlord.php

Reactions: MechE

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks plex for the links and feedback.

I'd really like to find a way (if possible) to get a wide aggressive tire, the KO2 looks great for example. I don't love the idea using spacers, but they are quite a bit less expensive. I think 1/2" spacers should get the stock offset similar to the Warlord's 35mm. That being said, new wheels are not out of the question if it's the only way to get the look I want.

I don't want the weight of the KO2, but I like that aggressive style. If I'm spending the money and doing the work, it has to look right to me in the end. :)

I have the tools and skills to get it done, but it's hard to know what folks have already experienced. I also contacted Traxda earlier this week but haven't gotten a response yet.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
So...

I ended up ordering 265/60R18 Falken Wildpeaks, 1" Bora spacers, and Traxada 2"/1" lift kit. I put on the spacers this morning, but still need to get the tires mounted and lift kit installed.

I ordered a 2"/1" lift kit com a seller on Amazon, and one of the Moog end link boots was torn. I contacted the seller and they gave me a number to call. It turned out to be Traxda support... After clearing up the initial confusion, Traxda took my info and instantly shipped new parts.Terrific service from Traxda!

The spacers are made to order but arrived about a week quicker than estimated by Amazon. The package was short on lug nuts, but the company sent them out expedited shipping.

The 1" spacers are subtle. My goal is to retain the stock look only better (i.e., leveled and more aggressive). Sorry for the confusing pics... The rear shot is after/before, and the front is before/after.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Well, I am waiting for my Conti TerrainContact AT 265/60R18s and have my Traxda 2"front/1.5"rear kit ready to go as well; like you, I am keeping my stock rims ( black ed RL ).. not sure how I'll handle the rubbing or how to get rid of it as I don't want new rims....

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I am waiting for my Conti TerrainContact AT 265/60R18s and have my Traxda 2"front/1.5"rear kit ready to go as well; like you, I am keeping my stock rims ( black ed RL ).. not sure how I'll handle the rubbing or how to get rid of it as I don't want new rims....
I think the spacers might help and makes it look better too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Got it done over the weekend! 2" front 1" rear Traxda with 265/60r18 Goodyear Wrangler Trail Runners on stock wheels. I did some turning in full lock each direction going forward and backward and no rubbing issues. Definitely got the look, added clearance and improved off road ability that I was looking for. I'm glad I didn't have to mess with spacers or anything. I don't mind the way the wheels sits in the well. Hopefully this gives you confidence in your setup. Should work out great.

Attachments

·
Registered
276 Posts
I like it! Looks nice!

I'll soon get mine (should be to the dealer in next 3 weeks) and it will be the first truck since driving my step-dad's old Ford (back in the early 80s).

I assume you did the work to lift it yourself? How hard is it? If a shop did it, what type of shop?
What kind of cost, if I may ask?

One of the, very few, things that I don't like about the RL is the clearance. I like my 4Runner's, but a little lift would be nice. Should still fit in my garage with just an inch or 2 lift.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I like it! Looks nice!

I'll soon get mine (should be to the dealer in next 3 weeks) and it will be the first truck since driving my step-dad's old Ford (back in the early 80s).

I assume you did the work to lift it yourself? How hard is it? If a shop did it, what type of shop?
What kind of cost, if I may ask?

One of the, very few, things that I don't like about the RL is the clearance. I like my 4Runner's, but a little lift would be nice. Should still fit in my garage with just an inch or 2 lift.
I thought about doing the work myself for about 5 min then couldn't stand the idea of pulling apart my new truck with my limited experience, plus I've read the posts from people struggling with the lift. I found a run of the mill local automotive shop in Colorado that did some off road work and specifically worked on Jeeps, they said they did quite a few lifts so I went with them. They charged me 5 hours of labor plus install tires as well as the alignment and charged me $650. Kind of expensive but totally worth it, especially when after I picked it up I noticed a knocking sound. Turns out the strut was contacting the frame just a little so it was nice to bring it back and they fixed the issue. No regrets at this point, like you I really wanted the extra clearance so I could have at least a little confidence when I go off road to hunting and fishing spots.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
I get that most ROCers say they love their stock G2s, don't need more clearance, and wouldn't want to give up any handling or ride comfort for more off-pavement capability. I also get that the G2 RL team was intensely focused on "best-in-class" fuel efficiency which resulted in modest ground clearance, lowered approach angle and essentially no undercarriage protection (weight consciousness). It's also true that those who need more off-road capability have options for lifts, skid plates and slightly larger tires...or they can choose another truck.

All that said, I think Honda is missing an opportunity to expand the RL's appeal to buyers who occasionally travel off-road to hunt, fish or camp by offering a special edition with factory-enhanced ground clearance, some critical undercarriage protection and AT tires. But aside from brochure pictures showing the RL in gutsy off-pavement adventures, Honda doesn't seem interested in these buyers and may not even have the plant capacity to respond to a greater demand for the truck. IMO, that's a shame.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
I get that most ROCers say they love their stock G2s, don't need more clearance, and wouldn't want to give up any handling or ride comfort for more off-pavement capability. I also get that the G2 RL team was intensely focused on "best-in-class" fuel efficiency which resulted in modest ground clearance, lowered approach angle and essentially no undercarriage protection (weight consciousness). It's also true that those who need more off-road capability have options for lifts, skid plates and slightly larger tires...or they can choose another truck.

All that said, I think Honda is missing an opportunity to expand the RL's appeal to buyers who occasionally travel off-road to hunt, fish or camp by offering a special edition with factory-enhanced ground clearance, some critical undercarriage protection and AT tires. But aside from brochure pictures showing the RL in gutsy off-pavement adventures, Honda doesn't seem interested in these buyers and may not even have the plant capacity to respond to a greater demand for the truck. IMO, that's a shame.
Without a low range no point for Honda to make the truck something that it is not. Better choices out there for going off road. This will only change if the lack of off road prowess hurts their bottom line and Honda has bigger fish to fry. Quality control and safety (Sensing and LED's) across the line are probably the first considerations.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
Without a low range no point for Honda to make the truck something that it is not. Better choices out there for going off road. This will only change if the lack of off road prowess hurts their bottom line and Honda has bigger fish to fry. Quality control and safety (Sensing and LED's) across the line are probably the first considerations.
Oh I agree with you on all those points except low range. I'm an occasional off-roading hunter-angler and in 15 years of adventuring in my Ranger 4X4, I've used the low range maybe a half-dozen times when I was pushing its limits. I wouldn't expect Honda to turn the RL into an off-road challenger like the Taco...just boost its competence a bit for off-pavement travel. Curiously, there is credible evidence that HMA is building Pilots with enhanced ground clearance and front skid plates for export to Russia, so it's possible Honda already has the engineering to do this for the RL. But, as you say, they likely have bigger fish to fry right now.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Curiously, there is credible evidence that HMA is building Pilots with enhanced ground clearance and front skid plates for export to Russia, so it's possible Honda already has the engineering to do this for the RL. But, as you say, they likely have bigger fish to fry right now.
What,? the Canadians aren't getting this stuff? It's funny about the low range thing. My Brother in Law and I had 2WD Tacoma SR5 and a Ranger 2WD XL respectively in the late 80's early 90's and always missed having trucks. When I got the RL, I told him he should get one and he said that he likes to go fishing and he needed a low range. I guess I should show him your post.:surprise:

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
What,? the Canadians aren't getting this stuff? It's funny about the low range thing. My Brother in Law and I had 2WD Tacoma SR5 and a Ranger 2WD XL respectively in the late 80's early 90's and always missed having trucks. When I got the RL, I told him he should get one and he said that he likes to go fishing and he needed a low range. I guess I should show him your post.:surprise:
Haven't you heard? Russia is the new Canada and we need to work with them on shared objectives, like getting more ground clearance on Pilots and RLs. :)

As for needing a low range to get to fishing spots, I guess it all depends on where you want to go. You might need it for serious Jeep trails, but even on those rare occasions that I've used low range, it didn't get me all that much closer to my destination -- I could have easily walked the rest of the way in. Then again, we've seen what happened when TFLT tried to crawl a G2 RL up a mountain "trail" in Colorado -- the tranny fluid overheated. Hopefully, Honda has fixed that with a software tweak to the transmission cooling system.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Haven't you heard? Russia is the new Canada and we need to work with them on shared objectives, like getting more ground clearance on Pilots and RLs. :)

As for needing a low range to get to fishing spots, I guess it all depends on where you want to go. You might need it for serious Jeep trails, but even on those rare occasions that I've used low range, it didn't get me all that much closer to my destination -- I could have easily walked the rest of the way in. Then again, we've seen what happened when TFLT tried to crawl a G2 RL up a mountain "trail" in Colorado -- the tranny fluid overheated. Hopefully, Honda has fixed that with a software tweak to the transmission cooling system.
TFLT posted a follow up and admitted that was operator error. They had another guy go up the same hill with no problems.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
^^^Thanks, I hadn't seen the follow up, but I did watch Nathan (?) successfully drive the RL BE up Gold Mine Hill Road, which TFLT considers a formidable off-road challenge. (Roman overheated the RL on Montezuma Road near Keystone, CO.)

I think it was Zroger who posted about the transmission update, but I'm not exactly sure what that was for.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts