Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I am a Ridgeline stalker, cuz I actually have an 05 Pilot. Drivetrain wise, I believe the two vehicles are identical, right?

From all the reading I am doing, it RL will do much more than I will need in this vehicle. It seems like the biggest shortcoming of the Pilot right now are the stock tires.

So what is a good tires that will have a comfortable ride on the pavement, and when needed, have decent offraod abilities. In that I mean, it will handle mud, loose dirt, sand, perhaps snow, etc. I am not doing some crazy rock crawling...

I know that's a tall order for a single tire to fill, but I understand compromise, so I am just looking for public opinion here...

Anyway, the write up on the Baja 1000 was very cool. I like the answer to "How did you do that?"...."Hotel Oscar November Delta Alpha, baby...."

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
MinesClose said:
Hey all,
I am a Ridgeline stalker, cuz I actually have an 05 Pilot. Drivetrain wise, I believe the two vehicles are identical, right?

From all the reading I am doing, it RL will do much more than I will need in this vehicle. It seems like the biggest shortcoming of the Pilot right now are the stock tires.

So what is a good tires that will have a comfortable ride on the pavement, and when needed, have decent offraod abilities. In that I mean, it will handle mud, loose dirt, sand, perhaps snow, etc. I am not doing some crazy rock crawling...

I know that's a tall order for a single tire to fill, but I understand compromise, so I am just looking for public opinion here...

Anyway, the write up on the Baja 1000 was very cool. I like the answer to "How did you do that?"...."Hotel Oscar November Delta Alpha, baby...."
While the Ridgeline does share a few pieces from the Pilot most of the parts down under were designed for the truck. I think the original tire choice is fine for most uses. They are quiet and do fairly well in dirt allthough we do not have lots of mud & snow here.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Drivetrain wise, I believe the two vehicles are identical, right?
Close but not identical. The RL engine is tuned for better low end torque, the transmission ratios in 4th and 5th are different, and the final drive ratio is different.
As for the tires, it seems that the consensus of the forum is that the Michelin LTX M/S tires are a great all around tire. I can only speak for the ride as I have not had the pleasure of driving the RL in the snow yet. I find the ride in the RL extremely comfortable and the tires are part of that feeling. There are many posts here on the capability of the RL in the snow, so I don't think you could go wrong with these tires as a great all-around tire.

·
Registered
953 Posts
A good A/T tire would be best. The Mich LTX is more of a truck specific tire. For an SUV I would use a Bridgestone A/T Revo or BFG All-Terrain T/A.

As far as the drivetrain the engine while the same size is not the same engine put in the Pilot nor is the AT and differential. These pieces needed to be stronger for towing.

BFG http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=All-Terrain+T/A+KO&vehicleSearch=false&partnum=37QR6ATAKORWL&fromCompare1=yes&place=0

Bridgestone http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Dueler+A/T+Revo&vehicleSearch=false&partnum=37SR6ATREVOWL&fromCompare1=yes&place=2

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
DoctorJ said:
A good A/T tire would be best. The Mich LTX is more of a truck specific tire. For an SUV I would use a Bridgestone A/T Revo or BFG All-Terrain T/A.
I guess it depends on your goal. I prefer the Mich LTX to an A/T because the A/T tread tends to more road noise. The A/T would probably be better for off-road, but that isn't an issue for me either.

Not sure why you say the LTX is "truck specific" as I've seen them on vans, trucks, SUV's...not sure if I've seen them on a car though.

·
Registered
953 Posts
swampler said:
I guess it depends on your goal. I prefer the Mich LTX to an A/T because the A/T tread tends to more road noise. The A/T would probably be better for off-road, but that isn't an issue for me either.

Not sure why you say the LTX is "truck specific" as I've seen them on vans, trucks, SUV's...not sure if I've seen them on a car though.
He asked about an off-road tire and for off-road I would not use the LTX. LT stands for Light Truck and it would be fine for a van as well.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I also have a Pilot as the other car....(SUV)

The Goodyear integrity tires are AWFUL!

Replaced them with Mich. All-Terr SUV - MUCH MUCH better!

So far I am VERY happy with the stock RL tires....

The RL does share the same VSA and VTM-4 AWD system.

I refer to the RL as a Pilot with a bed.

TL

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
DoctorJ said:
He asked about an off-road tire and for off-road I would not use the LTX. LT stands for Light Truck and it would be fine for a van as well.
He also asked about comfortable ride on the pavement, hence the comment about noise on A/T style tires. I agree that the A/T would be better for offroad.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well a little research on the Honda website show that the only differences I can find, in the drivelines are:

1. Final drive ratios are different. Pilot = 4.375 RL = 4.533 (tires perhaps?)
2. Towing capacities Pilot = 4500 max (with towing package) RL = 5000
3. Weight Pilot = 4497 RL = 4498 (RTL)
4. Wheelbase Pilot = 106.3 RL = 122 (inches)
5. Width Pilot = 77.5" RL = 77.8"
6. Tires Pilot = 235/70/16 RL = 245/65/17

So from what I am seeing, the RL is a longer Pilot with a bed, no? I has a stiffer frame as well.

I don't mean to make anyone pissed at me, I am just trying to sum up the vehicle.

I would sincerely like to get the Pilot dirty, and from what you guys are doing with the RL, and armed with this info, I think I can do the same with the Pilot, so long as I get it some new shoes.

Agreed?

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
It is NOT a Pilot with a bed. The chassis is completely different. I suggest you read the Ridgeline stuff on the Honda site.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
I has a stiffer frame as well.
The Pilot may have a stiff frame, but it's not like the RL. The RL has an integrated box frame welded into the unibody. Honda claims that it has 20 times the torsional rigidity of a conventional pickup chassis.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, I remember reading about how stiff the frame is on the RL. Another difference I think I found is that the RL can transfer up to 70% of the torque to the rear wheels if needed. I think the Pilot's rear diff will go to 50%. Bet that would help on steep grades.

·
Registered
319 Posts
As far as the tires go, I had Nitto Terra Grapplers on my Tacoma and I loved them. You get a slight amount of buzz, but they wear great, awesome all around traction, plus they look the part. Kinda mean with a nice shoulder bite. Way better than Revo's IMO and a whole lot cheaper. $100 compared to $180 for the BFG.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Hi MinesClose,
Welcome to the forum. I do a substantial amount of off-roading with my RL over rock and dirt/mud and have been very impresssed with the overall ability of the Michelins. Its all about trade off's between road noise, handling and off-road durability and grip. My biggest concern was the sidewalls of the Michelins (cactus & thorns) but so far they are doing fine. If I did expect anymore out of my tires, I would probably go with the BFG's A/Ts with the 3 ply sidewalls and more agressive lug pattern.
I had an MDX and I really liked it but the RL sure is sweet and it gives me the perfect blend of the things I wanted out of a vehicle.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I also have an '05 Pilot as my second vehicle and yes the tires are the weak link when offroading. The Michelins on the Ridgeline are a near perfect blend of offroad grip and puncture resistance while still maintaining superior on road handling and noise requirements. When I wear out the tires on the Pilot I will most likely switch to the same tire as the Ridgeline has.

·
Registered
668 Posts
MinesClose said:
Yeah, I remember reading about how stiff the frame is on the RL. Another difference I think I found is that the RL can transfer up to 70% of the torque to the rear wheels if needed. I think the Pilot's rear diff will go to 50%. Bet that would help on steep grades.
you are right about that!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Fellow Off ROC off Roader's ,

I am in need of some assistants with tire purchase, I recenty lifted my white ridge and desperatly need tire size that absolutely fit . these tires quoted are great but because i live in hawaii i must be sure they fit, due to shipment cost. its a toss up

Can anyone give me the scoop on what tire fits ion the stock rim with mud flaps in a agressive look?????? Please Help I am itching for a new set of shoes for my lifted ridge.

For starters; Lowriders Cooper STT 245/40/17 Fits what else and size??? MaHALO OR THANK YOU. Sonny

DoctorJ said:

As far as the drivetrain the engine while the same size is not the same engine put in the Pilot nor is the AT and differential. These pieces needed to be stronger for towing.

BFG http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=All-Terrain+T/A+KO&vehicleSearch=false&partnum=37QR6ATAKORWL&fromCompare1=yes&place=0

Bridgestone http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Dueler+A/T+Revo&vehicleSearch=false&partnum=37SR6ATREVOWL&fromCompare1=yes&place=2

·
Registered
173 Posts
A taller tire will fit easily for sure. Especially if lifting the truck 2". You will allow for a 2" taller tire. Its normally the widths that starts hitting the inner fender and mud flaps.:mad:

Don't forget with a taller tire, your final drive will change, :( therefore less pickup, your rpm's will be lower at all speeds. Your speedometer will be OFF, but You will gain more ground clearance.:D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts