1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Never heard of it! Details please?

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
LINE-X is similar to Rhino lining and Durabak coatings.

I think in a previous thread, a member named 'the kid' seemed to think that ANY type of coating would cause the in-bed truck to not stay open on its own due to the extra weight.

I have actually given some thought to getting some Durabak (http://www.nonslipcoating.com/) for my truck bed. I need to e-mail them and find out if it would stick to the Ridgeline's truck bed material.

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Line-X spray on type Bed Liners

I had thought the Ridge cargo bed coating was a Line-X type product.
Consequently, I thought the Ridge was saving me $$$ since the cargo area was already protected from the factory.
I looked at the Tacoma and didn't like the appearance of the factory bed.
The Frontier factory bed looked better than the Tacoma, but not as good as the Ridge.

"To protect the composite bed from UV and scratch damage and to provide a slip-resistant surface, a specially developed two-layer coating is applied to the exposed bed surfaces. First, a spatter paint, consisting of a two-component polyurethane mixed with crushed solid glass, is robotically sprayed, followed by a "monocoat" of an unfilled version of the same paint. Both coatings are supplied by Rohm & Haas Co. (Philadelphia, Pa.)."

Paint ... Honda really fooled me ... :eek:.
So much for "super-durable composite cargo bed".
This issue is on my "Wish List" to Honda (applied at the factory) ... :) .

I plan on installing a Bed Mat cut to fit the cargo floor ... :( .

I have used Line-X before when I had a Ranger.
I liked the look & performance of the material.
The look of the Ridge bed reminded me of that material.

I would imagine removing the cargo walls for future mods may be difficult with a sprayed on bed liner applied aftermarket.
The material covers joints and bolt heads making future removal difficult.
The installer can control the thickness of the application during installation. However, I wouldn't want to pay full price for a thin application.
A thin application to the floor only may be adequate to provide better protection than the factory material, avoid trunk opening issues, and permit future access into the cargo wall panels.

NB: The surfaces are cleaned with denatured alcohol before application.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I called Line-X about this very issue when I found out how easily the bed shows scratches. #1 Line-X is a great product, I've used it in military vehicles. #2 Line-X will stick to anything. Regarding weight and the trunk, I just got off the phone with LINE-X Northwest (253.535.4144) and understand that the additional weight is a non-issue. The trunk lid will still work. I don't have it in writing but these guys have done stuff for me before and have always delivered more than promised. The cost is $469 to coat the bed.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the coments I spoke to the local installer in SO Flo and he quoted $449 but he needs to see the truck first as he has not worked on one before and does not now what needs to be masked he did now about the trunk but said it would not be a issue.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
You all are aware that you aren't adding additional protection to your truck, you are simply hiding the tendency for the bed to scratch. Most linings are there to help reduce dents and scratches that could negatively impact the integrity of the bed itself. You look at an old truck that hasn't had a lining put on and you can find holes that go all the way through the bed. In the case of the Honda composite bed, this isn't likely to happen, so what you are buying is something to make the bed look better (perhaps that is even a matter of opinion). Yet you will be paying the same price as someone who is using this application for the purpose of actually protecting the integrity of their bed.

I have come to terms with the fact that this is a truck, it will have dings, it will have scratches, and in 7 years it won't be as pretty as it was the day I drove it out the door. But to each his/her own, if it makes you feel better, more power to you.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
captmiddy said:
You all are aware that you aren't adding additional protection to your truck, you are simply hiding the tendency for the bed to scratch. Most linings are there to help reduce dents and scratches that could negatively impact the integrity of the bed itself. You look at an old truck that hasn't had a lining put on and you can find holes that go all the way through the bed. In the case of the Honda composite bed, this isn't likely to happen, so what you are buying is something to make the bed look better (perhaps that is even a matter of opinion). Yet you will be paying the same price as someone who is using this application for the purpose of actually protecting the integrity of their bed.

I have come to terms with the fact that this is a truck, it will have dings, it will have scratches, and in 7 years it won't be as pretty as it was the day I drove it out the door. But to each his/her own, if it makes you feel better, more power to you.
Well said!

·
Banned
1,577 Posts
I agree with you, Capt. If the bed gets scratched, it doesn't seem like a big deal to me. It's just a truck bed. But I did put some blankets and a tarp down to fill it with a load of firewood last weekend and still no scratches. I'm sure it will be a different story if I ever put a load of gravel in it, though.

When I wash the truck, I always seem to leave some muddy footprints in the bed from washing the roof. They probably look worse than some scratches.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
RidgeOwner3 said:
I agree with you, Capt. If the bed gets scratched, it doesn't seem like a big deal to me. It's just a truck bed. But I did put some blankets and a tarp down to fill it with a load of firewood last weekend and still no scratches. I'm sure it will be a different story if I ever put a load of gravel in it, though.

When I wash the truck, I always seem to leave some muddy footprints in the bed from washing the roof. They probably look worse than some scratches.
Those are character marks ;). Thinking about what I said, I should also point out that I am well aware that not everyone buys a truck for utility. Each of us has a slightly different purpose for this vehicle but most of us like it for what we bought it for. Keeping that in mind as well, I can see how someone may want to keep the truck looking shiny as long as possible. So while I wouldn't put a liner on my Ridgeline, I don't mind that someone else would. Heck I wouldn't put chrome wheels on my truck (well that may be more I wouldn't be allowed to), but I am excited to see how it works out for vertrkr. So if someone does get a lining put into their bed, I would be interested in seeing pictures of this.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Shand-Horn said:
Has anyone had the LINE-X coating put on there truck bed.
My Ridgeline was my second truck to get $419. They did a great job and I can now put things in the bed without scaring it and having them slide around.
:)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I agree with what you are saying about battle scars if it was a work truck.

I do a lot of Diving and when you have put 4 x 120cf steel dive tanks in and out of the truck a few times the white shows through a great deal and as this is my first truck I guss I would like to keep it looking good for as long as I can.

Some would think it vain but who cares

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Shand-Horn said:
I agree with what you are saying about battle scars if it was a work truck.

I do a lot of Diving and when you have put 4 x 120cf steel dive tanks in and out of the truck a few times the white shows through a great deal and as this is my first truck I guss I would like to keep it looking good for as long as I can.

Some would think it vain but who cares
So what if you are vain, it is your truck, treat it as you wish. If you want to put an orange day-glow lining in your bed go for it. We all might find it strange but it is up to you, we didn't pay for it. For me, I just can't get past the fact it is a truck which I bought with the plan to throw wood and other things into the bed. I was just happy it wasn't a normal bed that I would have to go out shopping for a liner for in order to not have it rust out in 10 years.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have line-x on my silver Ridgeline. It cost $419 (I was a return customer) and I love it. Looks great and things stay put when placed in the bed. Now I can haul all sorts of things with no scar marks.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I think you guys are right in the basic sense. I think that most folks have a problem with the way the white scratches stand out against the bed. Honda should have anticipated this and colored the bed a close shade to the actual underlying material. The target customers were not true truck folks that would not give slight scratches a second thought so my and others reactions should have been easy to anticipate. I've owned lots of trucks and never experience these type of scratches unless I really did serious hauling e.g. a dresser sliding across the bed etc. I've got scratches from transporting relative light things that would have never left such an unsightly mess in my Titan or Tacoma.

It seems like what we need is for someone to just do a spray in liner and see what ill effects it causes. I've seen enought other mods that have been easily solved by forum members. If the weight is too heavy it would seem pretty simple to find a set of aftermarket struts that would hold it up.

Cal

·
Registered
10 Posts
I added Line-X to my Billet Silver Ridgeline and am happy with it. It looks good and things don't slide around in the bed. One problem: The added weight to the in-bed trunk cover keeps it from staying open unless raised all the way.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts