Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
181 - 200 of 206 Posts

·
Registered
2017 RTL-T
54 Posts
A few owners have reported harsh shifts and no codes due to a faulty third gear pressure switch.
I had this issue and replaced the switch myself. So far so good. That and i now flush the trans every year and the judder no longer returns.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'll formally add myself to the list here. '18 RTL-E never towed (though my service rep didnt believe me because I had "installed a tow hitch on the truck..."). Failed at 83k. no symptoms except slightly worse fuel economy. transmission system problem light and blindspot information system problem light. Code came up P0741 torque converter clutch circuit stuck off. Seems to sound very similar to many other posts here. When I dropped it off, service rep said his own vehicle and another customers of his recently had the same issue. Doesn't make me too thrilled to pay for it...

·
Administrator
20,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #184 ·

I'll formally add myself to the list here. '18 RTL-E never towed (though my service rep didnt believe me because I had "installed a tow hitch on the truck..."). Failed at 83k. no symptoms except slightly worse fuel economy. transmission system problem light and blindspot information system problem light. Code came up P0741 torque converter clutch circuit stuck off. Seems to sound very similar to many other posts here. When I dropped it off, service rep said his own vehicle and another customers of his recently had the same issue. Doesn't make me too thrilled to pay for it...

·
Registered
118 Posts
I was discussing my transmission problem on another thread, but let's make #36 official. Transmission system problem light and blindspot information system light, P0741code. No noticeable judder. Waiting on new torque converter that is backordered.

·
Administrator
20,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #187 ·
Sorry to hear of your trouble. This thread is limited to complete transmission replacements. It would take quite a bit of work to revise this thread to incorporate torque converter replacements into this thread or start a new thread about them. This thread was relatively easy to create because I had been tracking complete transmission replacements for a while. I haven't been tracking torque converter replacements.

·
Registered
12 Posts
UPDATE: got the truck back yesterday with new transmission. Driving it today stopping off of a highway. At about 5MPH it lurched to a stop. I started filming with my camera and I said “let’s see if it does that again”. On camera, it suddenly sounded like it blew up. Bangs raffles and it sounds like rocks in transmission. Stopped immediately and it’s being towed back to dealer. I’m calling it another transmission failure because it clearly failed catastrophically though I’d guess due to incompetent installation. We will see what happens from here now. Day 15 since I first dropped it off.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Here is the video of the transmission destroying itself. Please excuse how upset I am. It was my first day back in the truck from the dealer having it for 14 days and being very difficult to work with at times. The smell I am referring to is a burning smell probably from all the fluid that came out of the transmission…
I was filming only because the truck stuttered to a stop when I was coasting at about 5mph. Wanted to film to show dealer. Then it had catastrophic failure.

I was discussing my transmission problem on another thread, but let's make #36 official. Transmission system problem light and blindspot information system light, P0741code. No noticeable judder. Waiting on new torque converter that is backordered.
This is the same code and symptoms my transmission had. Dealer said it required a full transmission rather than just torque converter. Interesting your dealer said torque converter only but mine said full transmission…

·
Administrator
20,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #190 ·
I can't tell if that horrific crunching is gears in the transmission trying to chew up a piece of metal left behind after a build or rebuild or a CV joint breaking apart due to damage or incorrect installation during transmission replacement.

Do you know if the replacement transmission was new or remanufactured?

Assuming the odor you smelled was burning transmission fluid, I'd guess a half shaft came out of the transmission causing the fluid to leak out.

My instincts tell me that if a piece of metal jammed the transmission, it would lock up and you would have come to a screeching halt.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I can't tell if that horrific crunching is gears in the transmission trying to chew up a piece of metal left behind after a build or rebuild or a CV joint breaking apart due to damage or incorrect installation during transmission replacement.

Do you know if the replacement transmission was new or remanufactured?

Assuming the odor you smelled was burning transmission fluid, I'd guess a half shaft came out of the transmission causing the fluid to leak out.

My instincts tell me that if a piece of metal jammed the transmission, it would lock up and you would have come to a screeching halt.
It was a remanufactured transmission. When I left the dealer yesterday, I told them I was concerned about future issues if the part was no different.

We found the issue. The front differential completely blew up less than a day after the replacement transmission. There was a suspiciously low amount of fluid under the truck considering the entire differential split open. What could have caused such a catastrophic and dramatic failure? Could the transmission have locked up and put too much strain on the differential causing it to just get destroyed? Honestly no idea here.

EDIT: forgive me I don't want to hijack the thread. Future transmission replacements just beware

Hat Fedora Automotive lighting Bag Sun hat
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Plant Rim Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
80 Posts
It was a remanufactured transmission. When I left the dealer yesterday, I told them I was concerned about future issues if the part was no different.

We found the issue. The front differential completely blew up less than a day after the replacement transmission. There was a suspiciously low amount of fluid under the truck considering the entire differential split open. What could have caused such a catastrophic and dramatic failure? Could the transmission have locked up and put too much strain on the differential causing it to just get destroyed? Honestly no idea here.

EDIT: forgive me I don't want to hijack the thread. Future transmission replacements just beware

View attachment 417981 View attachment 417982
That's the transfer assembly and it doesn't hold much fluid. Around half a litre. Doesn't seem very difficult to reattach to the transmission after the swap but it is a possibility the techs missed a step or forgot to refill it with fluid

Organism Font Parallel Circle Diagram

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
I appreciate the info. To be clear I am not saying this to argue with you. It's pretty obvious your info is correct. The dealer told me it is the differential, however, and they even said they ordered as new front diff to replace it. Will that include the transfer assembly? Also, do you think anything else could be damaged from the rapid unscheduled disassembly of this transfer assembly? I know it is speculation but curious your thoughts. Thanks
That's the transfer assembly and it doesn't hold much fluid. Around half a litre. Doesn't seem very difficult to reattach to the transmission after the swap but it is a possibility the techs didn't align something correctly which caused it to puke its guts.

View attachment 417983

·
Administrator
20,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #194 ·
The front differential is inside the transmission. Dealers don't open transmissions.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The front differential is inside the transmission. Dealers don't open transmissions.
"I found your issue. the front differential failed pretty drastically. [...] I'm overnighting a new one from honda right now. It should arrive tomorrow, I'm going to install it and then retest everything, make sure there is no other issues."
What did he order if the front differential is inside the transmission then? This is making my head spin.

·
Administrator
20,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #196 ·
It's likely that the person who told you that is simply ignorant and is using the wrong part description.

·
Registered
2019 RTL
902 Posts
It's likely that the person who told you that is simply ignorant and is using the wrong part description.
There's a 50/50 chance they are ignorant. One of the prerequisites for employment at a dealership is being either ignorant or a liar!

·
Registered
391 Posts
Here is the video of the transmission destroying itself. Please excuse how upset I am. It was my first day back in the truck from the dealer having it for 14 days and being very difficult to work with at times. The smell I am referring to is a burning smell probably from all the fluid that came out of the transmission…
I was filming only because the truck stuttered to a stop when I was coasting at about 5mph. Wanted to film to show dealer. Then it had catastrophic failure.

This is the same code and symptoms my transmission had. Dealer said it required a full transmission rather than just torque converter. Interesting your dealer said torque converter only but mine said full transmission…
Honestly I would say your choice of words were pretty tame. Sorry to hear about your issue, pretty freaking crazy. I would be really concerned about that same shop doing the rest of the work, what's the chances this isn't related to the transmission replacement. What other damage from this failing park could of been caused :-(

·
Administrator
20,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #199 ·
One of several reasons I dumped my 2019 after its transmission was replaced at 14K was because it started making rattling/knocking noises a couple of weeks later that was likely due to something that was damaged or not reassembled properly by the dealer. It was less stressful to get rid of it than to deal with re-repairs.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My 17 fell under the reprogram and flush at 27k. I had similar issues at 48k (city driving) and they flushed it again. Is this bad?

181 - 200 of 206 Posts