Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
281 - 300 of 329 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ref #42. Transmission was replaced 22 Mar. Shifts really nice. But now it seems to have the symptoms of the Judder issue. Dealer requested I drive it for awhile saying the tranny may have to learn my driving techniques/habits. It has improved somewhat but the issue is still noticeable and irritating. It will being going back to the dealer soon.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Ref #42. Transmission was replaced 22 Mar. Shifts really nice. But now it seems to have the symptoms of the Judder issue. Dealer requested I drive it for awhile saying the tranny may have to learn my driving techniques/habits. It has improved somewhat but the issue is still noticeable and irritating. It will being going back to the dealer soon.
What is interesting to me is that when my transmission was replaced, I asked the dealer if the new transmission was any different. They said told me first of all it is not a new transmission; it is a rebuild. Second, they said it is not different in any way. How does that fix a problem? Doesn't that just reset the clock on the problem until it happens again or something else comes up?

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
What is interesting to me is that when my transmission was replaced, I asked the dealer if the new transmission was any different. They said told me first of all it is not a new transmission; it is a rebuild. Second, they said it is not different in any way. How does that fix a problem? Doesn't that just reset the clock on the problem until it happens again or something else comes up?
It all depends on what the original problem actually was?

Bill

·
Registered
112 Posts
It all depends on what the original problem actually was?

Bill
Let’s say your torque converter fails early. Isn’t locking and it’s slipping requiring replacement. Honda then may recommend a full transmission replacement. That’s what happened with me. New transmission is the exact same design. Issues seem way too widespread with that transmission. The service advisor stated as much. My point it it seems strange they are replacing what seems to be a problematic unit with the same thing just already rebuilt.

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
Let’s say your torque converter fails early. Isn’t locking and it’s slipping requiring replacement. Honda then may recommend a full transmission replacement. That’s what happened with me. New transmission is the exact same design. Issues seem way too widespread with that transmission. The service advisor stated as much. My point it it seems strange they are replacing what seems to be a problematic unit with the same thing just already rebuilt.
I have not heard of many, if any, issues with the rebuilt transmissions, or have I just been missing it?

Bill

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have not heard of many, if any, issues with the rebuilt transmissions, or have I just been missing it?

Bill
I thought some people experienced second failures. My question however is how could the same transmission design be safe from the same premature failure just because it’s rebuilt? Why wouldn’t someone just expect it to fail again prematurely? Maybe we haven’t seen as many rebuilt failures because they haven’t had the miles on them yet who knows. I’m just confused by the approach unless there’s something different about the rebuilt transmissions.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I thought some people experienced second failures. My question however is how could the same transmission design be safe from the same premature failure just because it’s rebuilt? Why wouldn’t someone just expect it to fail again prematurely? Maybe we haven’t seen as many rebuilt failures because they haven’t had the miles on them yet who knows. I’m just confused by the approach unless there’s something different about the rebuilt transmissions.
I doubt we will ever know for sure, but I wonder how many units have actually failed or been replaced. We know the transmission is no longer used, so there is no reason for them to spend any R&D money making it more stout and I would guess this is why they slap a rebuilt one on there. This is especially true if the actual failure rate is very small. And then furthermore, they only have to get the remaining models to the end of the warranty.

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
Well, we really don't know what is happening with the original transmissions which is causing them to fail, is it a mechanical, or a manufacturing issue, Honda apparently is not sharing? And just because one service writer says they are exactly the same transmission, are they really?

Anyways, that rebuilt tranny comes with a three year warranty, doe it not?

Bill

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
6,351 Posts
I really don't think the dealer would have any idea if any parts were upgraded or corrected in the rebuilt transmission. @zroger73 has stated that dealers are not permitted to open the transmission. If that is the case, then only Honda's corporate engineers know what any specific issues may reside therein.

Or it could be the same exact transmission, and Honda is hoping to hold out until all warranties expire. I doubt we will ever know for sure...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Add me to your list, 2019 RTL_E 89000 miles, fluid first changed at the MM at 45 k, judder developed and fluid was changed again at 67k, judder disappeared , fluid changed at 85k for preventative , trans developed a hard shift from 5th to 6th , sometime feeling as it shifted into neutral , no warning codes at all, transmission being replaced, thankful for Honda Care which was purchased for 795 dollars and only a 100 dollar deductible .

·
Administrator
23,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #292 ·

Add me to your list, 2019 RTL_E 89000 miles, fluid first changed at the MM at 45 k, judder developed and fluid was changed again at 67k, judder disappeared , fluid changed at 85k for preventative , trans developed a hard shift from 5th to 6th , sometime feeling as it shifted into neutral , no warning codes at all, transmission being replaced, thankful for Honda Care which was purchased for 795 dollars and only a 100 dollar deductible .

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
Were the fluid changes single or multiple dump and fills?
Bill

·
Administrator
23,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #294 ·

Transmission FAIL! 2018 RTL-E ~ 61,000 miles, Dashboard lit up like Christmas tree surginh, slamming into gear, and many more. emission failure, transmission failure, etc...

It never was even off roading with the POS. Always pampered it!
Should have known was a POS. One day after buying it dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree: Drive train failure. etc..

Called dealer, they said bring it in, did same day, they said the fluid in differential was too high, gave it back to me after hours waiting, and they said no issues, so here I am stranded halfway across the country.

I bought a extended warranty through Honda Dealer at time of purchase, it has been at a different Honda Dealer a week and they say they are waiting on the Extended Warranty Rep. to come out for an inspection. In the mean time had to pay $650.00 for plane tickets home for my wife and I! didn't even offer my a car!!! Their response was buy a new one from their dealer, YEA Right! B.S.

Did research and found out many more have had same problems with 6 speed!

I am seeing a class action suit! Any one interested?

·
Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
8,253 Posts
I am still waiting for @zroger73 to compile a similar transmission failure list over on the Santa Cruz forum. It seems they have had several. But I understand this is his real job.

·
Administrator
23,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #297 ·

Add another transmission failure to the list !!!
My 2018 RTL-E .... 79,000 miles needs new transmission also.
90 % Interstate travel to work ..... towed 2500 lb maybe 3 times short distance.,, no Off Road miles.
This is after having to replace the Head Unit last year !!!
Pretty frustrating after owning 2 First Gen. that were incredibly reliable for 200,000 miles + on both of them.

·
Registered
849 Posts
So in some down time, I compiled this list into a spreadsheet with what relevant info I could find. The one common denominator is that all of them seem to be AWD, which I know are the vast majority. A few in the list got counted twice, here is what I found:

2017 - 25 failures, average of 58.8k miles
2018 - 11 failures, average of 49.2k miles
2019 - 7 failures, average of 36.6k miles

Overall, mileage average is 52.7k miles when they failed, but the min is 7200 miles and max is 150k. Breakdown of by mileage is:
<=36k miles - 12
36k-60k miles - 13
60k - 100k - 16
Over 100k - 2

According to user profiles, 8 of the 40 that had country listed were in Canada. So 20% of reported failures were in Canada, where it appears that 89% of RL's sold between the countries during those years were in the US. Not sure we have a big enough sample size, but this makes me think that heat may not be a key factor in failure.

I think after digging into the numbers, what I am left with is that there is no magic indicator by year, mileage, or location. I think it all comes down to a crap shoot as to who has issues and who doesn't.

The way I see it, as an owner of the 6spd, you have two options. 1) Follow the MM and hope for the best or 2) Change the fluid more often in hopes that it will prevent you from having an issue. Whether or not you use DW-1 or another fluid is up to you. No way to know for sure if another fluid and/or more fluid changes help, but I don't see anything else you can do to help prevent issues.

281 - 300 of 329 Posts