Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
301 - 320 of 329 Posts

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Any data on how people are doing with the replacement transmissions? Are they exactly the same as the failure-prone originals, or is there an updated version in which the problem was solved?

·
Registered
849 Posts
As far as I have seen, only one user has reported that their replacement transmission was replaced again (after 12k miles). With that being said, I would not be surprised if most folks that had the trans replaced got rid of the truck altogether after that.

Going to be pretty difficult to know for sure, but my thought would be if you have your trans replaced, you are in theory getting a rebuilt trans with the latest revisions and is hopefully more reliable. I think it was estimated previously in this thread that a guess is an initial failure rate of 2-3%. With that, the likelihood that you would be one of the 3 out of 100 that has a failure and then get a reman that also failed is quite small, but clearly not impossible. The other factor is if yours gets replaced, you also have to trust that whomever replaced it did a good job.

If I ended up having to have mine replaced, I think I would be more inclined to trade it in. Then again, it would also depend on what the vehicle market is like.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Add me to the list!
2017 RTL AWD 69,570 miles and "transmission system problem" light appears. Who would have guessed that a "Honda" could be so problematic! I wanted to love this truck but after fuel injector replacement after owning vehicle for 2 weeks (bought pre-owned with 23,000 miles) , start/stop button problem and now transmission failure and I'm only at 69600 miles. I can officially say this is the least reliable vehicle I have ever owned!

·
Super Moderator
2,701 Posts
Take a transmission oil sample and send it to Blackstone labs (or the like). Find out what the condition is of the oil in there FIRST before they drain it!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I couldn't imagine it being useful. Ive stayed on top of the transmission maintenance on this truck due to the stories that i have heard on here. Since I have owned it, I performed a 3x drain and fill at 30,000 miles, 1x drain and fill at 50,000, and a 3x drain and fill again at 65,000. So the current fluid only has 4000 miles on it.

·
Super Moderator
2,701 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that. I would guess you've done the DW-1 fluid right ? A sample would be nice to know if the viscocity has held up. If you don't take one I'd understand. The fluid should be good. But, it could also be bad and would tell us a lot more about what might be wrong inside the trans. For example if it has a high Iron content then the gears might have excessive wear. High aluminum would indicate gear to housing wear (or the like), high insolulables indicate suspended particles in the fluid (doing it's job but possibly overworked). All the elements mean something. An analysis right now would say a lot.

·
Administrator
23,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #307 ·
Add me to the list!
2017 RTL AWD 69,570 miles and "transmission system problem" light appears.
Let us know when you get an official diagnosis. This thread is for transmission failures - it's possible you have a torque converter failure (almost as bad) or pressure switch failure (not nearly as bad).

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Edited, thanks zroger73:

2017 - 25 failures, average of 58.8k miles
2018 - 11 failures, average of 49.2k miles
2019 - 7 failures, average of 36.6k miles

My question was how many of the listed failures have been 2017's, possibly/probably without the software update applied?

Question answered, the majority of failures have been 2017's, which I believe would be expected?

Bill

·
Registered
849 Posts
It makes logical sense that the older the model, the more failures. I am guessing as more failures of 2018's and 2019's come around, the mileage average will go up for those years as well. After compiling all of that data, all I can say is that it seems to be a crapshoot with this trans having issues. Failures from under 10k to 150k miles, relatively evenly spread. Interestingly enough, there are only 3 over 100k. Maybe that means if it is going to fail, it will most likely fail before then. It does seem odd that it would be fine for 100k and then fail. Here is a chart of failures by mileage:

Rectangle Plot Slope Line Font

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thanks for the links @zroger73 and insight @Kevo

I see no post yet that mirrors the issue I had. I never had any tranny shifting problems ever. It shifts perfectly.... before and after the convertor replacement. No error code at all if driving around town in lower gears or leaving it in 4th on the highway. No judder of any kind. Diagnosis concluded I didn't need the shudder TSB done or so the paperwork said. There's about 100 miles on the repair. I can see it lock into 6th now. It didn't before. It hung around 2K rpm at 55 mph...then the error message would set after 10 miles or so. Every start cycle was a new time

I'm wondering if anyone had a similar problem No shifting issues, but a PO741 code...had the TQ convertor replaced only to have to do the tranny later on? I'm wondering if the convertor is a harbinger for further tranny trouble? Or is it possible the convertor fixed me? Also....there was zero contamination in my tranny fluid when they drained it. I had pulled the dipstick early on...before it went in. Smelled just fine and the color was just very slightly darker than new

I also realize that there are 1000s of these trannys that have never had an issue.
This post has me wondering about TC replacement. I have a 2017 with 83k occasionally showing the Transmission System problem warning, but no apparent transmission issues. Dealer just told me they believe it need a new TC. So the million dollar question, is replacing the TC indiciative of eventual trans failure? Should I repair it, or just do a multiple dump-n-fill, and sell the RL?

·
Read Only
1,351 Posts
Should I repair it, or just do a multiple dump-n-fill, and sell the RL?
You need to decide that, but if I had to pay out $2K+ for a new TC with a real risk of a trans replacement later, I'd be looking to trade, unless you have Honda Care coverage for the next few years.

Part of the decision should be when you intended to trade - if you were planning on trading in the next couple of years anyway, then I think it's a no-brainer.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
This post has me wondering about TC replacement. I have a 2017 with 83k occasionally showing the Transmission System problem warning, but no apparent transmission issues. Dealer just told me they believe it need a new TC. So the million dollar question, is replacing the TC indiciative of eventual trans failure? Should I repair it, or just do a multiple dump-n-fill, and sell the RL?
Timing belt is coming up, your trade in value is high. If the trans fix is on your dime I'd trade it.

·
Registered
2018 RTL-E
12 Posts
Add me to the list. Approx 101k miles on my 2018 RTL-E. I've noted a hard shift from 5-6th the last ~2k miles or so, no dashboard lights or indicators. If I'm easy on the gas pedal things shift smoothly but not so under normal or hard acceleration. Was at the dealer for routine oil change & tire rotation today and asked the tech to look at it. He confirmed the hard shift and said lower gears are starting to exhibit hard shifts but they're not very noticeable yet to me. He searched his database and said out of 30 reported failures a replacement shift valve only fixed one of them. All but that one were finally fixed with a replaced tranny. Quoted me $8600, parts and labor.

·
Administrator
23,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #315 ·

Add me to the list. Approx 101k miles on my 2018 RTL-E. I've noted a hard shift from 5-6th the last ~2k miles or so, no dashboard lights or indicators. If I'm easy on the gas pedal things shift smoothly but not so under normal or hard acceleration. Was at the dealer for routine oil change & tire rotation today and asked the tech to look at it. He confirmed the hard shift and said lower gears are starting to exhibit hard shifts but they're not very noticeable yet to me. He searched his database and said out of 30 reported failures a replacement shift valve only fixed one of them. All but that one were finally fixed with a replaced tranny. Quoted me $8600, parts and labor.
Have you decided what you're going to do? Replace the transmission? Sell/trade the vehicle while it's still moving under its own power? Something else?

·
Registered
2017 RTL-E
861 Posts
I have a question and am not sure where to ask it...
The VIN for the transmission (6 speed) is supposed to be located around the area behind the battery/air cleaner. All I see there is two empty threaded holes which appear to be able to hold a plate with the VIN on it. Could this mean my transmission was replaced at some point for the previous owner under warranty? Does the lack of a VIN in this area mean this is a used/rebuilt replacement?

·
Registered
2017 RTL-E
861 Posts
I solved my own problem. I found the two screws with break off stems that are used to fasten the VIN plate to the transmission. The VIN plate has been removed. So, it must be a rebuilt or used tranny.
Have any of you who have had their transmissions replaced looked at that VIN location to see if there is no VIN plate?
The plate is located on the transmission toward the firewall and left of the brake reservoir. You need a good light to see it.
I found all the service records for my previously owned '17 Ridgeline. It had the injectors replaced and there was a record of that recall/TSB being performed. But there is no record of the tranny being replaced. Strange.

·
Registered
42 Posts
As far as I have seen, only one user has reported that their replacement transmission was replaced again (after 12k miles). With that being said, I would not be surprised if most folks that had the trans replaced got rid of the truck altogether after that.

Going to be pretty difficult to know for sure, but my thought would be if you have your trans replaced, you are in theory getting a rebuilt trans with the latest revisions and is hopefully more reliable. I think it was estimated previously in this thread that a guess is an initial failure rate of 2-3%. With that, the likelihood that you would be one of the 3 out of 100 that has a failure and then get a reman that also failed is quite small, but clearly not impossible. The other factor is if yours gets replaced, you also have to trust that whomever replaced it did a good job.

If I ended up having to have mine replaced, I think I would be more inclined to trade it in. Then again, it would also depend on what the vehicle market is like.
Thats what I did. 18 RTLE AWD trans replaced at 42k under warranty, and at 58k traded for a 22 RTLE.

·
Registered
2018 Ridgeline RTL-T White Diamond Pearl
2 Posts
I just bought my first Honda: a 2018 RTL-T. You can add this vehicle to the list of 6-speed Ridgelines that needed to have the transmission replaced - the previous owner dealt with this. I discovered this by looking at the list of service records at owners.honda.com after I registered, and this is what the servicing Honda dealer recorded at 60,892 miles:

60892 TEST DROVE. CONFIRMED HARD SHIFT & SLAM INTO GEAR CONDITION PRESENT. REPLACED TORQUE CONVERTER DUE TO TCC NOT ENGAGING OR DISENGAGING PROPERLY. TEST DROVE AFTER TORQUE CONVERTER R&R. HARD SHIFT STILL PRESENT AND WOULD NOT SHIFT INTO PASSING GEAR. REMOVED & REPLACED TRANSMISSION ASSEMBLY DUE TO INTERNAL TRANS FAILURE. GOODWILL ASSISTANCE PER DPSM 75% CUSTOMER TO PAY 25%

Notice that it occurred 892 miles after the original drive train warranty expired. I'm sure that the previous owner was not happy to have to pay 25% of the cost, and doubtless this is why this truck came up for sale about two weeks later. The part number they referenced for the replacement they used is for a new, genuine Honda transmission, not a rebuilt unit. You can see it here:

Honda 06200-5J8-305RM

In poking through hondapartsnow.com, it appears that there were at least four previous Ridgeline transmissions that were discontinued:

Honda Ridgeline Transmission Assembly

I don't know if that means the transmission I have is an updated version or whether it will be more, less, or as reliable as the original transmission. Of course, I did not know about this until after I bought the vehicle. I've scoured the ROC forums and am familiar with what has been recommended, and I hope this tranny lasts a long time, but it is clear that one cannot predict with confidence.

301 - 320 of 329 Posts