Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
321 - 329 of 329 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
24,120 Posts
Ah, and this part does have RM, and so it is a reman. Thanks for pointing this out.
My G1 Ridgeline trans was replaced under warranty too (due to a whine since new). I also got a reman. AFAIK, that's all you can get as a warranty replacement.

·
Administrator
23,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #323 ·
Production of new 6-speed Honda transmissions ended about two years ago when 2020 Pilot production ended so there will be no new replacements going forward - they'll all be remanufactured.

Even when a transmission is still in production, a remanufactured unit will be shipped unless there are none available at the time in which case a new production unit will be shipped.

·
Registered
2018 RIDGELINE - BLACK EDITION
2 Posts
I have my 2018 Black Edition Ridgeline at the dealer for a new transmission. Luckily 41,000 miles and still under warranty. Dash lights came on after a 3 hour drive. 3 days to install. Saw the new 22 Ridgeline. The front grill got sunken in and looks weird.

·
Administrator
23,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #325 ·

I just bought my first Honda: a 2018 RTL-T. You can add this vehicle to the list of 6-speed Ridgelines that needed to have the transmission replaced - the previous owner dealt with this. I discovered this by looking at the list of service records at owners.honda.com after I registered, and this is what the servicing Honda dealer recorded at 60,892 miles:

60892 TEST DROVE. CONFIRMED HARD SHIFT & SLAM INTO GEAR CONDITION PRESENT. REPLACED TORQUE CONVERTER DUE TO TCC NOT ENGAGING OR DISENGAGING PROPERLY. TEST DROVE AFTER TORQUE CONVERTER R&R. HARD SHIFT STILL PRESENT AND WOULD NOT SHIFT INTO PASSING GEAR. REMOVED & REPLACED TRANSMISSION ASSEMBLY DUE TO INTERNAL TRANS FAILURE. GOODWILL ASSISTANCE PER DPSM 75% CUSTOMER TO PAY 25%

Notice that it occurred 892 miles after the original drive train warranty expired. I'm sure that the previous owner was not happy to have to pay 25% of the cost, and doubtless this is why this truck came up for sale about two weeks later. The part number they referenced for the replacement they used is for a new, genuine Honda transmission, not a rebuilt unit. You can see it here:

Honda 06200-5J8-305RM

In poking through hondapartsnow.com, it appears that there were at least four previous Ridgeline transmissions that were discontinued:

Honda Ridgeline Transmission Assembly

I don't know if that means the transmission I have is an updated version or whether it will be more, less, or as reliable as the original transmission. Of course, I did not know about this until after I bought the vehicle. I've scoured the ROC forums and am familiar with what has been recommended, and I hope this tranny lasts a long time, but it is clear that one cannot predict with confidence.

I have my 2018 Black Edition Ridgeline at the dealer for a new transmission. Luckily 41,000 miles and still under warranty. Dash lights came on after a 3 hour drive. 3 days to install. Saw the new 22 Ridgeline. The front grill got sunken in and looks weird.

·
Registered
2017 RTL-E
861 Posts
I guess since no one has found the transmission VIN plate missing on their replaced transmissions, mine must have been from a junkyard since I have no VIN plate on my transmission. The remnants of the snap off bolts are there, but no plate.
Only the previous owner of my truck knows for sure.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
24,120 Posts
I haven't gone looking for the tranny VIN plate. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
2019 Sport Lunar Silver
490 Posts
I guess since no one has found the transmission VIN plate missing on their replaced transmissions, mine must have been from a junkyard since I have no VIN plate on my transmission. The remnants of the snap off bolts are there, but no plate.
Only the previous owner of my truck knows for sure.
Doubtful your trans is original. They are removed on remanufactured trans.

·
Registered
2017 RTL-E
861 Posts
Some on here are saying there is a VIN with RM after the numbers.
Oh well, it shifts fine so I will change the fluid after 15K (the dealership changed it before I bought it).

321 - 329 of 329 Posts