Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
341 - 360 of 381 Posts

· Registered
3,541 Posts
I think that I will be ignoring this thread, in the beginning it may have had hopes of providing information to why some of these transmissions were failing, but anymore it is just providing pleasure to a certain few so to criticize the 6-speed. :(

Bill

· Administrator
24,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #342 ·
Okay, cool - just click the "- Unfollow" button and you'll no longer receive alerts about this thread.

It does seem to demonstrate that there are significant problems with 6-speed transmissions in 2017-2019 Ridgelines and that these failures are ongoing and will probably continue.

· Registered
3,541 Posts
Okay, cool - just click the "- Unfollow" button and you'll no longer receive alerts about this thread.

It does seem to demonstrate that there are significant problems with 6-speed transmissions in 2017-2019 Ridgelines and that these failures are ongoing and will probably continue.
Maybe if this thread was set up to disseminate what specific issues have been arising with the 6-speed, but where is the value of just providing a count down of failures?

Bill

· Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
24,636 Posts
Maybe if this thread was set up to disseminate what specific issues have been arising with the 6-speed, but where is the value of just providing a count down of failures?

Bill
Probably the same as the cylinder 4/5 issue thread where we tried to get some idea how widespread that issue was. For info only, it's certainly not going to create a fix in and of itself.

· Registered
1,044 Posts
And realistically, unless the dealership tore it apart and found the culprit (very highly unlikely), we will never really know what is going on in these transmissions, as Honda does not tell us. All we can really do is track failures like this thread does.

Current overall numbers:
2017 - 29 failures, avg mileage 60.1k, avg time to failure 3.55yrs (min 12000, max 150000)
2018 - 16 failures, avg mileage 57.5k, avg time to failure 3.06yrs (min 7200, max 121000
2019 - 7 failures, avg mileage 36.6k, avg time to failure 1.57yrs (min 9900, max 89000)

Avg time to failure is simply the year is was reported minus the model year. I know that is a crude estimate. Again, the one thing that seems to be a common denominator is I am pretty sure we only have seen this happen to AWD models. At least when I compiled all of the data, what I could confirm was every model was AWD. I know FWD comprises a much smaller percentage, but I don't think we have seen a single one with a failed trans.

· Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
24,636 Posts
And realistically, unless the dealership tore it apart and found the culprit (very highly unlikely), we will never really know what is going on in these transmissions, as Honda does not tell us. All we can really do is track failures like this thread does.

Current overall numbers:
2017 - 29 failures, avg mileage 60.1k, avg time to failure 3.55yrs (min 12000, max 150000)
2018 - 16 failures, avg mileage 57.5k, avg time to failure 3.06yrs (min 7200, max 121000
2019 - 7 failures, avg mileage 36.6k, avg time to failure 1.57yrs (min 9900, max 89000)

Avg time to failure is simply the year is was reported minus the model year. I know that is a crude estimate. Again, the one thing that seems to be a common denominator is I am pretty sure we only have seen this happen to AWD models. At least when I compiled all of the data, what I could confirm was every model was AWD. I know FWD comprises a much smaller percentage, but I don't think we have seen a single one with a failed trans.
So true. When my 2008 tranny was replaced under warranty for the top gear whine, I asked the service manager if they would be able to tell me the cause of the whine. He said no, the trans goes straight back to Honda.

· Administrator
24,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #348 ·
At least when I compiled all of the data, what I could confirm was every model was AWD. I know FWD comprises a much smaller percentage, but I don't think we have seen a single one with a failed trans.
Yesterday afternoon, I asked in the 2nd Generation Honda Ridgeline Owners Facebook group if any FWD owners had experienced a transmission or torque converter failure. One said they had judder, one said they had a failed torque converter, and one said they had a failed transmission.

Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Software

(Certain items redacted since this is a private group.)

· Registered
1,044 Posts
Well, then that shoots that theory down. I guess it makes sense since the FWD version is a small subset of RL's sold, so it stands to reason that there are far fewer of them. Just seems odd that no one on here has posted a FWD with issue. Then again, as I mentioned earlier, I don't have every model of those who have posted failures. If they didn't post it, I searched through previous posts to see if they mentioned what they had, but I couldn't find it for all of them.

· Registered
2018 RTL-E
679 Posts
67800 miles. Had error messages, figured the 4.5 battery was bad. Changed it, no change. Took it to the dealer and they are changing the torque converter out. $4200 in NJ. Finally found something the extended warranty will cover.

· Banned
142 Posts
I think that I will be ignoring this thread, in the beginning it may have had hopes of providing information to why some of these transmissions were failing, but anymore it is just providing pleasure to a certain few so to criticize the 6-speed. :(
Don't worry - 54 out of over 100,000 sold isn’t anything to get too worried about. Obviously there will be more than 54 failures out there as not everyone will post on here, but the vast majority will be just fine.

· Administrator
24,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #352 ·
Don't worry - 54 out of over 100,000 sold isn’t anything to get too worried about. Obviously there will be more than 54 failures out there as not everyone will post on here, but the vast majority will be just fine.
This forum has 74,100 members. There have been around 500,000 Ridgelines sold. At most, ~15% of Ridgeline owners are represented here, but the actual number is going to be considerably smaller (low single digits) because most of those accounts are inactive, duplicates, spammers, non-Ridgeline owners, etc. Assuming 5% (and that's probably optimistic) of Ridgeline owners are active here, 54 reported failures * 20 = 1,080 real-world failures. There are around 100,000 Ridgelines with 6-speed transmissions so 1,080 / 100,000 = 1% failure rate...and counting - it's most certainly far greater than a 0.054% failure rate (54 / 100,000).

· Banned
142 Posts
There are around 100,000 Ridgelines with 6-speed transmissions so 1,080 / 100,000 = 1% failure rate...and counting - it's most certainly far greater than a 0.054% failure rate (54 / 100,000).
That's exactly what I said! Well, other than the 1,080 failures, which is pure conjecture :)

· Administrator
24,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #355 ·

I have a 2017 Black Edition (155,000 miles) which I traded a 2011 RTL with 270,000 miles for 3 weeks ago. I got the dreaded Transmission System Problem message on my first road trip, 3 weeks after purchasing the vehicle. It was "Certified Used" and the dealership just told me they are covering both the cost of the new transmission and the loaner. Happy it happened now and not 90 days from now.

· Registered
10 Posts
I wish I hadn't seen this thread. I have a '23. Hopefully the 9 speed is a bit more robust. My 2014 Odyssey has about 108k on its 6 speed. It feels like it is slipping a bit even after changing all of the fluid and external filter. My mechanic says it feels like clutch packs, which he says are a relatively minor transmission problem. My Ridgeline is the first automatic transmission I have purchased for myself in over 25 years. Clutches are cheaper than transmissions.

· Administrator
24,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #358 ·
The 9-speed has proven far more reliable than the 6-speed so far.

Worn clutch packs are anything but a "minor problem" - they require the transmission to be removed, disassembled, and rebuilt with new clutches and other components at a cost of thousands of dollars if you can find someone who will rebuild a Honda transmission (most transmission shops don't since they are so different than most other automatic transmissions).

· Registered
10 Posts
The 9-speed has proven far more reliable than the 6-speed so far.

Worn clutch packs are anything but a "minor problem" - they require the transmission to be removed, disassembled, and rebuilt with new clutches and other components at a cost of thousands of dollars if you can find someone who will rebuild a Honda transmission (most transmission shops don't since they are so different than most other automatic transmissions).
He will rebuild it when it finally goes kablooey. My wife doesn't beat on it so it should last a good while longer.

341 - 360 of 381 Posts