Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
81 - 100 of 381 Posts

· Administrator
24,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
@xraydog
2018 AWD with 42,000 miles
September 28, 2020
"Transmission System Problem", "Blind Spot Information System Problem", metal shavings in fluid

· Registered
43 Posts
2018 RTL-E AWD, 42k, 6speed. RPM surge and hard shift at 40mph. Never towed and never hauled more than 700lbs. ATF and diff change by Honda has not fixed it. Awaiting more investigation from Honda tomorrow. Next is flush, then maybe solenoid(s), then full warranty tranny replacement.

· Administrator
24,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
2018 RTL-E AWD, 42k, 6speed. RPM surge and hard shift at 40mph. Never towed and never hauled more than 700lbs. ATF and diff change by Honda has not fixed it. Awaiting more investigation from Honda tomorrow. Next is flush, then maybe solenoid(s), then full warranty tranny replacement.
You mentioned in a newer post that your transmission is getting replaced. Can you confirm this is happening?

· Registered
43 Posts
You mentioned in a newer post that your transmission is getting replaced. Can you confirm this is happening?
Yes. I didn't have time to get more details about the problem. They just said "replaced under warranty, slipping between 4th and 5th gear". Maybe Honda is gathering enough data to realize the issue and see a trend. New one getting shipped from OH, Troy OH I assume. Maybe it will be ready Friday next week. I will get more technical details when I pick it up. Got a sweet Nissan Versa rental courtesy of Honda.

· Registered
5 Posts
I thought about starting a list of injector failures as well, but that would take a lot more time than I'm willing to put into searching and organizing.

@Travis Hannigan
October 4, 2017
2017 AWD 13,600 miles
Whine, bearing failure

@jakerex
October 17, 2019
2017 with 58,000 miles
Fluctuating RPM

@mumbles
October 26, 2019
2018 with 11,600 km (7,200 miles)
Whine when idling

@asondica
October 27, 2019
2017 Black Edition
“20-60 kmh thudding, rumble strip feeling”

@jakerex
October 28, 2019
2017 Sport
Judder and “Transmission System Problem” message

@JJkroch
January 9, 2020
2019 RTL-E with 18,000 miles
Unexpected downshift, flaring, harsh shifting

@zroger73
February 1, 2020
2019 RTL-E 14,000 miles
Transmission fluid pump failed

@robertnisivocci
March 12, 2020
2017 with 64,000 miles
“D4 transmission warning”

@RM8900
March 27, 2020
2018 RTL-E with 63,000 miles
“Transmission System Problem” message

@mississauga145
April 24, 2020
2017 with 110,000 km (68,351 miles)
Harsh 1-2 shift, metal shavings in fluid

@kbmandms18
June 21, 2020
2017 with 32,000 miles
Fluttering noise and vibration

@ktm520
July 3, 2020
2017 with 45,000 miles

UPDATE 7/4/20: To keep this original post from getting too long, I'm now adding the failures as additional posts.
I thought about starting a list of injector failures as well, but that would take a lot more time than I'm willing to put into searching and organizing.

@Travis Hannigan
October 4, 2017
2017 AWD 13,600 miles
Whine, bearing failure

@jakerex
October 17, 2019
2017 with 58,000 miles
Fluctuating RPM

@mumbles
October 26, 2019
2018 with 11,600 km (7,200 miles)
Whine when idling

@asondica
October 27, 2019
2017 Black Edition
“20-60 kmh thudding, rumble strip feeling”

@jakerex
October 28, 2019
2017 Sport
Judder and “Transmission System Problem” message

@JJkroch
January 9, 2020
2019 RTL-E with 18,000 miles
Unexpected downshift, flaring, harsh shifting

@zroger73
February 1, 2020
2019 RTL-E 14,000 miles
Transmission fluid pump failed

@robertnisivocci
March 12, 2020
2017 with 64,000 miles
“D4 transmission warning”

@RM8900
March 27, 2020
2018 RTL-E with 63,000 miles
“Transmission System Problem” message

@mississauga145
April 24, 2020
2017 with 110,000 km (68,351 miles)

@kbmandms18
June 21, 2020
2017 with 32,000 miles
Fluttering noise and vibration

@ktm520
July 3, 2020
2017 with 45,000 miles

UPDATE 7/4/20: To keep this original post from getting too long, I'm now adding the failures as additional posts.
I’ve had two Honda Ridgelines. The 2008 was great. I hauled a 4280 lb trailer thru mountain passes, across 90 degree western plains, hot and humid southern tour as well as a maritime Provence tour. I probably totaled 18-22k miles. I traded it in for a 2017 at 124k. The 2017 has not been good to me. Blew up a transmission with only 42 k on a trip to Colorado hauling the same trailer and ended up in North Platte Neb for 9 days. Next transmission only lasted 12 k. Both times were probably due to overheating. Transmission fluid both times was only 5-10 k old. I asked Honda if I could install a more efficient aftermarket transmission cooler without voiding the warranty. There answer was nebulous so I won’t do that. Don’t know what I should do next. Anybody have info about durability of 2020s?

· Administrator
24,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
That's #22 and #23.

Anybody have info about durability of 2020s?
The 2020's transmission has been in use by Honda for about 6 years in other models. While it's certainly not the smoothest and fastest shifting automatic out there (perhaps not even as good as the 6-speed in this regard), it does seem to be more durable so far.

· Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
24,636 Posts
Wow. Anyone have any gas to throw on this fire?

· Premium Member
2020 RTL-E Pacific Pewter Metallic
305 Posts
Wow. Anyone have any gas to throw on this fire?
How about some cold water? ;)

I'm a newbie here but it seems to me if all the tranny failures we can come up with is 21 in the 3 years the 6-speed has been used in the Gen 2 trucks that's a pretty impressive figure. Given the self-selecting nature of message boards and the tendency of people to report problems on same, I'd say it's pretty much a non-issue. Given the technology, the computer control and the hundreds of parts made by shops all over the world that go into one of these transmissions, it's amazing that they manage to work at all. That so few of them fail is pretty close to a miracle in itself.

Obviously, it sucks for those who have lost a transmission. It's a painful experience to go through having to replace a major component of a new vehicle for premature failure and the dealer service departments don't make it easy. And then you have to live with the vehicle, wondering when the tranny will fail again or what the next major problem will be. I couldn't live with that, I'd sell or trade the truck and never buy another Honda again.

But it looks like the majority of Ridgelne owners have transmissions that work fine and last a long time. I'm hoping so, anyway!!

Best,
Bill

· Registered
3,687 Posts

I'm a newbie here but it seems to me if all the tranny failures we can come up with is 21 in the 3 years the 6-speed has been used in the Gen 2 trucks that's a pretty impressive figure. Given the self-selecting nature of message boards and the tendency of people to report problems on same, I'd say it's pretty much a non-issue. Given the technology, the computer control and the hundreds of parts made by shops all over the world that go into one of these transmissions, it's amazing that they manage to work at all. That so few of them fail is pretty close to a miracle in itself.

Obviously, it sucks for those who have lost a transmission. It's a painful experience to go through having to replace a major component of a new vehicle for premature failure and the dealer service departments don't make it easy. And then you have to live with the vehicle, wondering when the tranny will fail again or what the next major problem will be. I couldn't live with that, I'd sell or trade the truck and never buy another Honda again.

But it looks like the majority of Ridgelne owners have transmissions that work fine and last a long time. I'm hoping so, anyway!!

Best,
Bill
The lines can get blurred though. Transmissions that propel the car down the road that slip and have tachometers that bounce but haven't failed fall in between. My wife's 2015 CRV with a CVT sucked from the first day we had it. It was very notchy in its operation and the garage always smelled like burnt brake pads from seized calipers. It's the wife's car and I drive it once a week to fill the gas tank but absolutely hated it but the wife is clueless about cars. I changed the fluid several times and it had software updates as part of a TSB but it always was notchy. A few weeks ago I was backing it out of the garage and it stalled. It had come close to stalling a few times before when reversing. I checked the CRV forum and there was a TSB that matched my symptoms exactly. Ended up getting a new transmission and it operates better but it still sucks. So basically, the CRV operated but not to spec and as a consumer it was tolerated for over 60k miles. Not fair for the RL owners that get the software fix but have to change their trans fluid probably half as early. Problems breed failures. I've had 3 CRV's and the first two were excellent. Would I get another CVT, never unless it's in a Hybrid. Would I get a CVT and a turbo combination? Never.

· Super Moderator
24,636 Posts

Best,
Bill
You make a valid point. OTOH, I've been around the ROC for a long time and the G1 Ridgeline with the 5AT never had any reported problems that I can recall. That's over a 9 year period covering 2006-2014. So there is quite a contrast between the G1 and the G2 Ridgeline in that regard.

Reactions: billg71

· Super Moderator
3,069 Posts
CVT's suck.

Prior Ridgeline was made in Canada. I still believe that the cooler could be a parts quality issue (like mentioned in conjunction with the converter, pump pressures etc... a combination problem possibly). Who knows. It would take an engineer to diagnose and figure it out and Honda swapped the trans to a different one.

Steve

· Registered
3,687 Posts
From my experience the Honda 5 speeds from around 08 (Odyssey) and 09 (CRV) were the best. They were trouble free and did what they were supposed to do. The 6 speed (Accord, RL) had different characteristics. In the Accord it upshifts early unless on the gas hard and the RL was mushy unless on the gas and then it shifted quickly. D4 and L IMO are inadequate to properly get the best out of the powertrain pairing. The 9 speed (Passport) when on the gas seems good so far. It does have moments of confusion and downshifts with the paddles in D mode take forever to slow the car down, much slower than using D4 or L. It's also a little anemic on pull off as it starts in second gear. However in power on situations, the 9 speed gets the best out of the engine/transmission pairing. CVT's suck and I haven't driven the 10 speed.

· Super Moderator
24,636 Posts
CVT's suck.

Prior Ridgeline was made in Canada. I still believe that the cooler could be a parts quality issue (like mentioned in conjunction with the converter, pump pressures etc... a combination problem possibly). Who knows. It would take an engineer to diagnose and figure it out and Honda swapped the trans to a different one.

Steve
From 2006-part way of the 2009MY, the G1 Ridgeline was made in Canada. The line moved to Alabama partway through MY2009 and the rest of MY2009-2014 were made in Alabama. Maybe @McChizzle knows the date the production line moved to Alabama. I'd be curious to know myself.

· Super Moderator
24,636 Posts
Thanks @zroger73. I wonder how long production was down while they moved from Alliston to Alabama? I would think that would be a pretty big deal.

· Administrator
24,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
Thanks @zroger73. I wonder how long production was down while they moved from Alliston to Alabama? I would think that would be a pretty big deal.
I believe production overlapped, but I don't know if the overlap lasted for weeks or months. Either way, they didn't "unplug the Ridgeline making machine from Alliston and plug it into Lincoln". ;)

· Premium Member
2009 Ridgeline RTL (with nav) in Bali Blue Pearl
2,588 Posts
zroger73 is correct, production did overlap. According to Honda's Digital FactBook, it looks like the transition occurred with the 2009 model year in very late 2008 with the Allison plant producing 25,251 in 2008 and 0 in 2009 while the Lincoln plant produced 13 in 2008 and 16,180 in 2009. Yet, this same FactBook states that in February 2009 the Lincoln plant began producing the Ridgeline; I think the difference can be accounted for by noting the dates assembly begins and the dates the Ridgeline stops/starts rolling off the assembly line as a finished product.

I purchased my 2009 RTL in December 2008 and it was assembled at Allison.

· Registered
38 Posts
Well this sucks. Went to drive my 2107 awd Ridgeline after work today and after leaving the neighborhood noticed hard shift from first to second and that it wouldn't shift past second. Turned around and hit a few lights and the shifting from first to second got worse. Transmission system problem and emissions system problem popped up on dash. I'm at 61,100 miles and the drivetrain warranty is 5 years 60,000 miles... They better warranty it. At 48,000 I brought it in because of the judder issue and they replaced tranny fluid and claimed software issue. I voiced my concern about "now what if the tranny goes out just after warranty". Well I'll be damned, it happened. Unreal. I'll be calling service manager tomorrow morning

81 - 100 of 381 Posts