Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
161 - 180 of 206 Posts

·
Administrator
20,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #161 ·

Replacing transmission on 17 RTL-E with 70k miles. Luckily have 120k warranty. Occasionally tow 12ft enclosed single axle with 1 or 2 motorcycles -3000# total. Started with high temp warning, then triple flush and update. Then transmission system problem warning.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Transmission being replaced under warranty. 92,000 km / 55,000 mi.

It will still be a raging POS, but it will be a new, free raging POS.

·
Administrator
20,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #164 ·

I think my 2017 tranny is starting to go. Rough 2-3 and 1-2 shifts especially in the first trip of the day in cold weather. Hard downshifts to too low of a gear sometimes on decel at stop lights. Been through the backup fix. Been through the injector fix. Had to drop some cake on front suspension maintenance already. Not too thrilled. They were able to feel the rough shift on test drives, but it’s not throwing codes. 85,000k so still just under warranty. Starting to get a sinking feeling about the transmission. Is it going to be difficult to get a warranty fix?
Transmission being replaced under warranty. 92,000 km / 55,000 mi.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Adding my 2018 RL to the list. At 54k miles I got a "Transmission System" warning notification. The truck was driving fine and showed no performance issues. I pulled over stopped and the error message reset a couple miles and it returned. I called the nearest Honda dealer and they fit me in for a diagnostic review. Hats off to Vans Honda in Green Bay as I was just passing through and not my dealer. Tech analyzed within 30 minutes and said bad torque converter, but could also be the tranny if they find metal in it when they replace the torque converter. Warranty repair, yeah! But the bad news is the parts are all backordered with no known delivery date. Since it was driving OK, do i drive while waiting for the parts or suck it up and rent a car?

·
Administrator
20,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #166 ·
Hats off to Vans Honda in Green Bay as I was just passing through and not my dealer.
Your warranty is valid at any Honda dealer. It makes no difference where you purchased the vehicle - they all get paid by Honda for warranty work.

Since it was driving OK, do i drive while waiting for the parts or suck it up and rent a car?
Does the gear position indicator in the instrument cluster blink while driving? If so, the manual says to "avoid sudden starts and acceleration and have the vehicle checked by a dealer immediately" suggesting that further damage may occur which might not be covered under warranty. If it doesn't blink, then there's no such specific instruction.

·
Administrator
20,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #167 ·
@mpmeloy
2017 RTL-E with 70K miles
August 10, 2021

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
If I may add to my posting above, on those occasions we have had our Ridgeline up into the back country nosing around, I am also in the habit of shifting down into low, which, coincidentally maybe, keeps the tranny from possible overheating due to continual shifting if left in drive??

Bill
We had the Grasshopper, (2019/6-speed), in the back country again this weekend, and with further experimentation, it appears to be very content being left in first gear while creeping along the trails under 30 miles per hour..........
Bill

·
Administrator
20,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #169 ·
But, let's be extremely generous and say that 5% of Ridgeline owners are members here. Suddenly, that 14/30,000 becomes 280/30,000 or 14/1,500 which brings us very close to a 1% failure rate.
This post was from a year ago when there were 14 failures of 6-speeds reported here. A year later, we're now at 33 reported failures. A year ago, the best estimates I could come up with put the failure rate for the 6-speed at close to 1%.

I stated in another post that I don't know what failure rate that Honda considers to be acceptable.

I began wondering if Honda might ever extend the warranty on this transmission and remembered the warranty extension they issued for some 2000-2003 models.

The following statement piqued my interest: "While only two percent of these vehicles have experienced these transmission problems, American Honda will provide extended transmission warranties on all potentially affected vehicles."

Is the 2017-2019 Ridgeline transmission approaching a similar failure rate? If so, will Honda extend the warranty like they did 20 years ago or is the mindset different now? I have my opinion and I hope it's wrong.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Our reality.................We have over five years left on our extended warranty, so if our transmission is going to fail hopefully it will do so near the end of this five years and Honda replaces it with a rebuilt transmission, which then will extend our warranty another three years. Heck, by then I may be no longer driving! :unsure:

Bill

·
Administrator
20,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #171 ·
Our reality.................We have over five years left on our extended warranty, so if our transmission is going to fail hopefully it will do so near the end of this five years and Honda replaces it with a rebuilt transmission, which then will extend our warranty another three years.
That's not how it works. Warranties don't start over with each replacement - they are effective from the vehicle's original in-service date.

The three-year warranty on a Honda remanufactured transmission or one-year warranty on a new transmission only applies to customer-pay replacements.

If your transmission fails on the last day of the five-year warranty and you get a new or remanufactured transmission that then fails the next day, you'll be responsible for the replacement cost.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Hee hee, OK, zroger73, let's just put aside the particulars and get to the gist of my post, shall we, where it will serve absolutely no purpose anguishing about the transmission failing until the warranty period is due to expire.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Car just out of the service bay. Took three weeks as we had to wait for a part. 2018 Ridgeline 6 speed AWD torque converter replaced at 54k miles. Glad it just hit the warranty frame. So the tech said all looks OK wi..th the rest of the transmission but no promises. Question is has anyone else had the torque converter replaced and then had problems? Should I be considering an extended warranty as I was planning to keep this truck for sometime, never purchased one before?

·
Registered
160 Posts
2017 RTL-E, almost 79, 000 miles, independent transmission shop and Honda confirmed transmission failure. Very little towing and only light loads. 3 drain and fills throughout the vehicle’s life. No extended warranty. Why would a person get an extended warrant, it’s a Honda, after all? Now, I know. :(

·
Administrator
20,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #175 ·

2017 RTL-E, almost 79, 000 miles, independent transmission shop and Honda confirmed transmission failure. Very little towing and only light loads. 3 drain and fills throughout the vehicle’s life. No extended warranty. Why would a person get an extended warrant, it’s a Honda, after all? Now, I know. :(

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
This post was from a year ago when there were 14 failures of 6-speeds reported here. A year later, we're now at 33 reported failures. A year ago, the best estimates I could come up with put the failure rate for the 6-speed at close to 1%.

I stated in another post that I don't know what failure rate that Honda considers to be acceptable.

I began wondering if Honda might ever extend the warranty on this transmission and remembered the warranty extension they issued for some 2000-2003 models.

The following statement piqued my interest: "While only two percent of these vehicles have experienced these transmission problems, American Honda will provide extended transmission warranties on all potentially affected vehicles."

Is the 2017-2019 Ridgeline transmission approaching a similar failure rate? If so, will Honda extend the warranty like they did 20 years ago or is the mindset different now? I have my opinion and I hope it's wrong.
Man, I sure hope so.

~20 years ago we bought the first reconceived Odyssey - literally the first one I ever saw in person, as our dealer got it right when we started looking for a new van - and maybe 10k past the warranty mileage the transmission failed. I couldn't believe it - and had actually just bought a new CR-V, a used Accord and a Honda riding mower - and was pretty upset. The dealer got Honda to pay for the new transmission and we paid for the installation, a semi-reasonable solution I thought. A year or so later there were enough problems that Honda was replacing Odyssey transmissions even out of warranty, and the service manager told me about it, suggesting I request reimbursement....and Honda did reimburse me for the replacement tranny.

·
Registered
160 Posts
And, I’m ready for a 2017-2019 transmission warranty extension to 80-100K miles!!!

Obviously, an impeccably cared for , gently used vehicle should go >79K miles w/o transmission failure complete with metal in the clean fluid.

Reactions: Pleease

·
Registered
11 Posts
Service record shows old trans serial HTF4T-####### and new trans serial KJ8A-########. Parts wicket person simply said it was a reman, which I hope includes any updates that Honda has made to the BYKA transmission since 2017. Haven’t gotten any further detail yet. I am wondering now what realistic lifespan I can expect from the reman, and what its pedigree is. I’m not finding much online to relate those serials to a trans type or anything like that.

·
Administrator
20,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #179 ·
1. The chances of having two 6-speed transmissions fail in a row is, of course, lower than having one that fails. Not all of them are destined to fail prematurely - just some (too many, IMO) of them are.

2. When a transmission is rebuilt, it typically includes the latest updates.

If I were you, I'd trade the vehicle before the 3/36 reman warranty was up.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
1. The chances of having two 6-speed transmissions fail in a row is, of course, lower than having one that fails. Not all of them are destined to fail prematurely - just some (too many, IMO) of them are.

2. When a transmission is rebuilt, it typically includes the latest updates.

If I were you, I'd trade the vehicle before the 3/36 reman warranty was up.
Good logic IMO, but isn't the power train warranty 60 months/60k miles?

161 - 180 of 206 Posts